Author Topic: Where can I find a USB cable extender?  (Read 1931 times)

Offline powruser

Where can I find a USB cable extender?
« on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 17:22:45 »
I just received my Filco MJ1 Brown full size yesterday, and I'm totally loving it. However, I do find the USB cable to be a bit short. What USB extender would you folks recommend?

Regards,
Steve

Offline sordna

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 18:00:41 »
3ft extender:
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-accessories-2/usb-3-ft-extension-cable.html

If you need longer, amazon has several, usually 6ft or more; get the cheapest you can find that has decent reviews, and you'll be happy.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline trax

Switches tried so far
Cherry MX Red Blue Black Clear
ALPS White Black (fake)Blue
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline biochem

Filco MJ2 tenkeyless (blues)
Heatware

Offline bienc

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 18:10:04 »
Monoprice. Any and all cable needs should be fulfilled by Monoprice. Especially handy if you need lots of different cables.
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline N8N

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 18:37:34 »
meh...  I second the recommend for monoprice for computery stuff but I think next time I need any audio cables I will spend the extra ducats for Blue Jeans Cable.  I got some RCA interconnects for my cheapo HT setup from monoprice and I was underwhelmed by the quality of the connectors.  Some of them are super tight while others are so loose that the weight of the heavy cable tends to pull them loose.  I've heard nothing but good things about BJC although they're kind of expensive for a frugal individual like YT (although their prices are eminently reasonable compared to some of the "esoteric" high end audiophile weenie stuff, and I heartily approve of their no-nonsense, show me the numbers approach to cable design.)

That said, I've been using Monoprice's HDMI and S/PDIF cables without any issues whatsoever, although to be fair, digital is digital, it either works or it doesn't.  That and Monoprice's cables are still cheap as dirt and higher quality than the entry-level crap that you pay 4x as much for at Best Buy.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline powruser

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 18:41:03 »
Thanks for the recommendations. I had the feeling that it's not like I need gold plated connectors since USB is digital, like the previous poster said it either works or it doesn't.

Offline Clickey

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 21:35:00 »
Any electronics store should have them (Bestbuy, Fry's, probably Walmart). Or you can get one on ebay or amazon.
"we are on Geekhack not Lazy****" - The Solutor

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 22:13:06 »
I have bought several cables, etc, from various generic Chinese vendors on ebay, and all have been great, except for 3 powered USB hubs that each sucked royally.

They were all ridiculously cheap, so I suppose it would be unfair to complain too much.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline sordna

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 23:13:21 »
I've had very good success with the Targus PA050U 4-port desktop USB hub. It's powered, but works fine even without the included power supply (at least with keyboards and USB sticks, for hard-drives you need the power). It's only $8.99 at amazon, so there's really no need to put up with no-name ebay junk for a decent hub.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard