Author Topic: [GB] TMK Alps64 - 60% PCB for Alps  (Read 613776 times)

Offline uaix

Re: [GB] TMK Alps64 - 60% PCB for Alps [PreOrder]
« Reply #1050 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 12:34:20 »
There are so many leftovers parts from building alps64 board. Any plans on alps20/alps24 aka numpad pcb?   ;D

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #1051 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 15:30:44 »
There are so many leftovers parts from building alps64 board. Any plans on alps20/alps24 aka numpad pcb?   ;D

currently no plan but I'm still kind of interested in numpad pcb.
Is there any standard case design for diy numpad like Poker for 60%? I don't have skill and fund for new case production, unless numpad case is available it won't happen.

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #1052 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 06:35:46 »
currently no plan but I'm still kind of interested in numpad pcb.
Is there any standard case design for diy numpad like Poker for 60%? I don't have skill and fund for new case production, unless numpad case is available it won't happen.

Maybe a partnership can be made to make this happen... there are only a few places selling numpads separately from their cases, but I wouldn't say there is a general numpad design people are using. If you can come up with the PCB magic, maybe I can come up with the case magic. Share some of the costs to make a great product.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
Re: [GB] TMK Alps64 - 60% PCB for Alps [PreOrder 12th GB]
« Reply #1053 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 13:22:29 »
[GB Update]
All of paid orders from current GB(11th) were just shipped until yesterday, tracking number will be sent to your paypal email by Japan Post within 3-4 days.

Next batch(12th) will be done till Dec 10 and you can place preorder. please check first post.

Offline DasGnome

« Reply #1054 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 20:41:51 »
Hi everyone,

I recently did an Alps64 build, but I'm having some problems. I used the QMK port (just the default to test it) and qmk toolbox to flash it, and it works fine...but only on one computer. It works on the computer I flashed it on, but it doesn't even show up in my device manager or in qmk toolbox on the other. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Update: I tried it at work, and it seems that it'll work if I press my thumb down on the connector. I'm not sure why it works without a hitch on my laptop, but maybe there is a bad solder joint?
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 November 2017, 08:37:44 by DasGnome »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1055 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 23:49:31 »
Hi everyone,

I recently did an Alps64 build, but I'm having some problems. I used the QMK port (just the default to test it) and qmk toolbox to flash it, and it works fine...but only on one computer. It works on the computer I flashed it on, but it doesn't even show up in my device manager or in qmk toolbox on the other. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Update: I tried it at work, and it seems that it'll work if I press my thumb down on the connector. I'm not sure why it works without a hitch on my laptop, but maybe there is a bad solder joint?

Tried other cables? If it is not bad cable it would be solder joint unfortunately.

I hope this problem doesn't happen on user site but ...
To fix solder joint of USB connector you need a drop of flux on pins(if you have) and a very little bit of solder on iron tip, then give heat on the pins for a few secs one by one. You may also need magnifier to check pins before and after soldering.

EDIT: Contact me if you have bad solder joints before trying fix.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 November 2017, 01:01:21 by hasu »

Offline amatecha

• Matecha.net
« Reply #1056 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 15:38:41 »
I got my PCB and plate -- thanks hasu!  Haven't started build yet, but looking forward to it  ^_^

Offline amatecha

• Matecha.net
« Reply #1057 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 16:50:18 »
Build complete!  The default firmware is a bit crazy though -- why does it assume Capslock is LCtrl?   It wasn't mentioned at all in the Assembly instructions so I didn't even think to solder a normal switch in the Capslock position (I used the locking switch).  The "Windows" key on the right side confused me at first too, making me think I had a faulty switch because it wasn't activating the Windows key command on the first press.

Anyway, looks pretty nice.  I used a cheap black case from kdbfans.com for my enclosure.  Switches are SKCM Cream Damped from a 1989 Apple Extended Keyboard II.  Cleaned the keycaps using OxiClean soaked for ~15min or so :)

Finished build:

Now to build a customized firmware image... :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 November 2017, 16:51:58 by amatecha »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1058 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 19:00:05 »
Thanks for feedback.
I see. Simple plain keymap would be proper for test after first build.  Many of users seem to use AEK keycaps, keymap matches to the legends will be less confusing for users. I may update default keymap some later.

Current default keymap is intended to offer kind of practical use from the begining and is configured like this, btw.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/keyboard/alps64/unimap_plain.c
http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/unimap/?alps64

Offline amatecha

• Matecha.net
« Reply #1059 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 15:29:49 »
I think just if you added the explanation about the default firmware in the Assembly instructions (as well as suggesting using a normal switch in the capslock position) it would clear up confusion.

Now that I'm using the keyboard, I actually agree with the idea of using the Capslock as the Function key -- then I can use the Command/Option/Control/Shift keys at the lower right as arrow keys!  :)   Now I'll have to change the switch back to a normal one (instead of the locking switch), I think :)

BTW, I wanted to say, thanks for making such a convenient keymap editor.  It works really well, and is quite straightforward overall.  So, thanks for that!

Offline Marvellion

« Reply #1060 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 07:39:21 »
Hey Hasu, I just got the PCB and it seems there is a part that got ripped off during shipping. I did not solder it or anything else, it it safe to do so? PCB is from another member but it's completely unused and diodes are not soldered yet.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 November 2017, 08:07:29 by Marvellion »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1061 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 17:40:41 »
Hey Hasu, I just got the PCB and it seems there is a part that got ripped off during shipping. I did not solder it or anything else, it it safe to do so? PCB is from another member but it's completely unused and diodes are not soldered yet.
Show Image

Sorry for that.
The keyboard will work normaly without the button but you have to make short circuit between two of contacts with tweezer when you flash firmware.
It seems pads and component are still safe. To fix it you will need solder wick, flux and tweezer at least. Let me know if you want to try and are not sure how to fix.

I can fix it for you if you can afford postage.

Offline Marvellion

« Reply #1062 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 22:44:25 »

Snip[/img]

Sorry for that.
The keyboard will work normaly without the button but you have to make short circuit between two of contacts with tweezer when you flash firmware.
It seems pads and component are still safe. To fix it you will need solder wick, flux and tweezer at least. Let me know if you want to try and are not sure how to fix.

I can fix it for you if you can afford postage.
[/quote]

Whew, that's good to know, thanks. I should be able to solder it if you could give me some directions on how to do it. And between the 4 contacts, which ones do I short circuit, a single left and right one or lower and higher?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1063 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 01:45:57 »
Whew, that's good to know, thanks. I should be able to solder it if you could give me some directions on how to do it. And between the 4 contacts, which ones do I short circuit, a single left and right one or lower and higher?

You can make short circuit between either nearer pair to turn controller into flash mode, this is what the button does.

I would solder like below.
1. apply flux on pads and remove solder with wick.
2. clean and wipe pcb with IPA if available.
3. apply flux on pads again
4. apply little bit of flux on contacts of button switch with care.
5. clean iron tip and put solder on it
6. put the switch on proper position with tweezer
7. solder just one of contacts. retry if its placement is not good.
8. solder other three contacts. don't solder them until the switch is placed at right position.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 November 2017, 01:48:31 by hasu »

Offline Marvellion

« Reply #1064 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 07:21:06 »

You can make short circuit between either nearer pair to turn controller into flash mode, this is what the button does.

I would solder like below.
1. apply flux on pads and remove solder with wick.
2. clean and wipe pcb with IPA if available.
3. apply flux on pads again
4. apply little bit of flux on contacts of button switch with care.
5. clean iron tip and put solder on it
6. put the switch on proper position with tweezer
7. solder just one of contacts. retry if its placement is not good.
8. solder other three contacts. don't solder them until the switch is placed at right position.

Show Image

Hope this helps.

Done, the instructions were super helpful, thanks a lot Hasu.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1065 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 17:57:46 »
[GB Update]

PCB manufacturing is delaying and they will be delivered to me around Dec 11th. Assembly and testing will take 5-10 days. At this point estimated shipping date will be 18-22th. Sorry for the delay.

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #1066 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 04:52:18 »
How long do you plan on continuing to make runs of these? Unfortunately, times have gotten a little tight and I may have to pass along a complete AEKII board kit to get a little money on the books (PCB, plate, included diodes, appropriate keycaps, and the option of a basic case or two), but I refuse to give up this nice project.

I love your work and I just want to make sure I can pick another [relatively soon] when I am ready... will there be a few more runs in the works?

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

« Reply #1067 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 13:06:28 »
Just wanted to share my build here.
It's been a year till all components reached me.

Offline Trente

« Reply #1068 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 17:59:48 »
Just wanted to share my build here.
It's been a year till all components reached me.

Show Image

This looks super awesome and motivating as just got my 5 degree case and still wondering if I should do a build with SKCM amber and alps 64 PCB. But I really want to use a carbon fiber plate which has both mx and alps support so I can easily applies the two blocker onto the board,

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1069 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 20:32:03 »
tristinDLC, I'm going to open GB several months at least and  followed by leftover sale.

FearsomeCubedWarrior, looks nice. what is that keycaps?
The stepped capslock seems to be 1.5u(highland part) and I never seen it for Alps switch as far as I researched.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #1070 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 00:20:08 »
tristinDLC, I'm going to open GB several months at least and  followed by leftover sale.

FearsomeCubedWarrior, looks nice. what is that keycaps?
The stepped capslock seems to be 1.5u(highland part) and I never seen it for Alps switch as far as I researched.

The keycaps are DSA LightCycle

Offline hasu

• @tmk
Re: [GB] TMK Alps64 - 60% PCB for Alps [Shipped - 12th GB]
« Reply #1071 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 04:35:50 »
[GB Update]
Hi all,
Sorry for the delay.
All of orders from current GB(12th) were shipped until today. You will email with tracking number from Japan Post at your "paypal email address" within several days.  Japan Post mail system is a bit sketchy you will have to be patient. If you don't receieve the email until next Tuesday(26) check junk mail folder and then email me at hasu@tmk-kbd.com and let me know your invoice number or your paypal email.

Thank you
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 December 2017, 04:37:57 by hasu »

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #1072 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 23:54:02 »
Are there any extras? I need 4 PCBs
EM7 | Nunu | Salamander | RF84u | SS AEK64

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1073 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 06:05:09 »
Are there any extras? I need 4 PCBs

Currently out of stock.

I'm planning on next GB now, whose estimated shipping date is end of February. If you can wait you can preorder pcbs, email me.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
Re: [GB] TMK Alps64 - 60% PCB for Alps [Open - 13th GB]
« Reply #1074 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 03:10:39 »
[13 th GB Open]
Just updated the first post for next round, check it and email me if you re interested.
Current estimated shipping date is end of Feb.

Thank you!

Offline Haroxicos

« Reply #1075 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 10:53:31 »
Hello,
I’m looking for AEK keycap spares for the build of an 60% AEK with the Hasu Alps64 PCB.
As Hasu’s plate only support ansi layout and I’ve an ISO FR AEK II, I need the ainsi modifiers (pictured in blue).

I’ve looked on ebay to buy a full keyboard but the shipping fees are more expensive than the keyboard itself…. So if you have them let me know the price. I live in France.
Thank you!

Offline P00ge

« Reply #1076 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 12:28:32 »
Im looking to build one of these will Orange Alps and was wondering how the PCB plate feels compared to a metal plate. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #1077 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 11:53:59 »
Just a quick question:

Is there any issue with soldering the diodes on the top (plate) side of the PCB?

On my first build, I did them on the bottom, but with my second build, it looks like a couple of them will hit the inside of the case I intend to use, so I may just solder them all on the top side of the PCB if there is no functional difference..
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #1078 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 12:15:35 »
[13 th GB Open]
Just updated the first post for next round, check it and email me if you re interested.

Thank you!

Hasu,

I'm sorry if you've been asked this a million times before but are there any plans for a 65% version of this PCB?

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #1079 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 06:40:13 »

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1080 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 07:50:58 »
[13 th GB Open]

Thank you!

Are 103 plates going to be available?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1081 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 08:21:20 »
[13 th GB Open]

Thank you!

Hasu,

I'm sorry if you've been asked this a million times before but are there any plans for a 65% version of this PCB?

And which "standard" case would you use with the PCB and plate? That has always been the problem with anything outside of 60%. There is just no standard for case options like there is with the "standard" set by the Poker cases. Almost every 60% case uses those same mounting hole locations.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #1082 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 13:35:48 »
[13 th GB Open]

Thank you!

Hasu,

And which "standard" case would you use with the PCB and plate? That has always been the problem with anything outside of 60%. There is just no standard for case options like there is with the "standard" set by the Poker cases. Almost every 60% case uses those same mounting hole locations.

I asked KBDFans if there is going to be a 65% version of the 5 degree case coming and they confirmed it will happen eventually with compatibility for the TADA68, which also already has high and low profile aluminum cases. Not sure if that's considered "standard" or not. There's also the Bold Case for the 22mini from Winkeyless. Again, not sure if "standard."

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1083 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 21:39:48 »
[13 th GB Open]

Thank you!

Hasu,

I have no plan on 65% keyboard at this time.

Offline pabile

• pabile online
« Reply #1084 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 21:46:58 »

I have no plan on 65% keyboard at this time.

May i suggest standard TKL rather than non-standard layout pls

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1085 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 22:57:56 »
[13 th GB Open]

Thank you!

Are 103 plates going to be available?

Not available in this GB at least.

With Alps switches it cannot be possible(or very difficult) to make "universal" layout plate unlike Cherry plate. We will have to decide  which keyboard is supported before design plate.

As for bottom row in 103(101) it can have various configurations of stab and switch position, for example, Omnikey ULTRA and Ominikey 101 are different apparently.
http://sandy55.fc2web.com/keyboard/omniultra/plate1_vga.jpg
http://cdn.overclock.net/1/15/900x900px-LL-15fea91e_29fpe1c.jpeg

That said, it seem that Dell 101, SGI 101 and Omnikey 101 share same or compatible configuration, we can make a plate that fits with keycaps and stabs from those keyboards. Just after wrote this, I found capslock is not compatible with Ominikey 101 :(

For reference, emdude has alreadly plate design file for Dell 101(probably also supports SGI 101) in this thread.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82916.msg2201282#msg2201282

Offline jackofclubs

« Reply #1086 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 00:37:14 »
Hey! I’m a bit confused with the wording with shipping. Will this round ship all at once at the end of February? Or individually as orders come in?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1087 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 01:09:29 »
Hey! I’m a bit confused with the wording with shipping. Will this round ship all at once at the end of February? Or individually as orders come in?

I'll ship pcbs out earlier when some amount(5-10?) are ready, order paid earlier will ship first basically. In fact assembly and shipping started and some were already sent out. Many of orders will be shipped before that date but the last order is expected to be shipped until end of this month.

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #1088 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 03:25:17 »
Tina, Alps64, custom copper plate, linear-modded un-damped Creams w/ 70cn springs.

Will be putting DCS Alpine Witner on this in 7u HHKB layout, just need to sort out the stabilizers really.

I had originally click-modded the damped Creams after refurbing them but IO just wasn't happy with the consistency, so removed the leafs to make them linear. Not the perfect switch, granted, but they' re smooth and have a nice clack on the bottom-out.

« Last Edit: Tue, 06 February 2018, 03:31:18 by smithyithy »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1089 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 19:41:04 »
Tina, Alps64, custom copper plate, linear-modded un-damped Creams w/ 70cn springs.

Will be putting DCS Alpine Witner on this in 7u HHKB layout, just need to sort out the stabilizers really.

I had originally click-modded the damped Creams after refurbing them but IO just wasn't happy with the consistency, so removed the leafs to make them linear. Not the perfect switch, granted, but they' re smooth and have a nice clack on the bottom-out.

Show Image

Show Image

Looks great!
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #1090 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 03:16:27 »
Thanks dude,

Completed photo here:

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #1091 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 01:08:11 »
How do you like that copper plate?

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #1092 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 10:15:02 »
It's nice, these are my first linear Alps switches so the typing feel is a bit different, I tend to bottom out on them more easily but they have quite a nice sound.

I realised I forgot to add any dampening to the case when I assembled it so I need to get round to that, should 'deaden' the sound more.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
Re: [GB] TMK Alps64 - 60% PCB for Alps [Closed - 13th GB]
« Reply #1093 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 03:01:52 »
[13th GB Update]
Hi folks,
All paid orders were shipped as of Feb 16, you will receive email with tracking number from Japan Post in next several days.  Be patient and check junk mail folder too, the mail is disposed to be recognized as spam.

Thank you!

Offline Haroxicos

« Reply #1094 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 08:12:05 »
Received mine today!
Thanks!  :thumb:

Offline Forvitni

« Reply #1095 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 09:21:13 »
Quick question everyone, is my best bet to just buy an Apple Extended II off of ebay and salvage the switches and keycaps? Are there any nice aftermarket keycap options available? Also let me know if anyone can recommend someone or perform an assembly for me (paid for of course). It has been awhile since I have soldered anything and I would rather not mess this up.

Thanks!

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #1096 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 13:21:13 »
Received mine a few days ago. It came only a couple days after I got the tracking which was a very pleasant surprise.

It will be a while before I test it and build it because I'm still in the midst of cleaning the orange alps I harvested from an AEK.

Edit: Actually I'll probably wait for the Modern M0110 to build it so it might take a very long time to build it
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 February 2018, 13:22:49 by tanvir175 »

Offline amatecha

• Matecha.net
« Reply #1097 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 14:00:04 »
Quick question everyone, is my best bet to just buy an Apple Extended II off of ebay and salvage the switches and keycaps?

Yeah this is basically what I did (except I bought it from a local secondhand shop rather than eBay).  It's very easy to de-solder all the switches but you will want a "solder sucker" (or solder wick) for sure.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #1098 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 14:13:35 »
Is there any place I can buy alps stabilizer parts? Will the Matias ones work?

I need the bottom portion, the one that goes in the plate. I could swear that I harvested them from the AEK but now I can't find them anywhere.

Offline maracabanana

« Reply #1099 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 18:53:55 »
Is there any place I can buy alps stabilizer parts? Will the Matias ones work?

I need the bottom portion, the one that goes in the plate. I could swear that I harvested them from the AEK but now I can't find them anywhere.
Yes, I used Matias stabilizer kit. The part on the plate fits perfect the part on the keycaps needs a little modification and it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk