Author Topic: New User with overly ambitious project  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Goggles2114

• Cheapie Theatre
New User with overly ambitious project
« on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 19:32:13 »
Hello there. I came here more or less because I want to learn how to build a keyboard onto a PCB that does other things. Why? Details don't matter, but basically I want to build a thing that doesn't exist and I understand does not have a commercial use.

So why build it? Eh. Mostly I I want to address a problem I see with portable gizmos. Specifically tablet I got for Christmas year before last died a month back. It won't work even when plugged in. So why keyboard geek forum? Because i like physical buttons instead of typing on glass.

So why not get an old laptop? Three or four hours and distraction machines. So why not go with something simpler? Something between e-reader and laptop?

Why not get a hemmingwrite? I think they're ugly designed to be LOOK AT ME! LOOK HOW TRENDY AND QUIRKY I AM! Plus I do not like that it has no arrow keys, it has a lot of levers and buttons but doesn't quite do what i want.

Here is what I want it to look like:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/175/442151928_44f3fa263e_z.jpg?zz=1

Possibly with a piano hinge along the middle so it will fold up. Black and white display, possibly e-ink for the sake of readability anywhere, and the back of the display with fold out legs or some other way of adjusting display angle.

I want it to do the following things:
Word Processing. Plug into the usb on something else either to transfer files out, hit a button so it 'types' out whatever's open into the device it's plugged into (that sees it as a keyboard and storage device,)
Able to read epub docs since 'why not'.
A SD card slot (full sized SD card mind you.)

Optionally include:
A headphone jack so you can listen to music while you work.
Wifi so you can sync to a central server (include Windows, OSX, and Linux solutions) for document syncing not to a 'cloud' but to a local machine that would either be the teacher's personal box, or for those at home a dedicated backup device so you have your copy on device, copy on SD card, and off site copy. I cannot count how often I have lost work and wished a backup existed, or finding backups I'd forgotten about years later.

The other thing is I want it user serviceable. Something I could go in and replace the battery on, pop the screen out if need be, pop keys off to clean the keyboard. I'm tired of sealed black boxes. The problem is sealed black boxes are easier to make, easier to sell people on sex appeal of, and easier to convince people to trade up in two years when the battery that can't be replaced gives out for the new shinier model.

Market it as a cheap durable alternative to Chromebooks. There is literally no software to need updating, or get infected, or the like. If you can make them cost $100 or lower they'll have a market. I'm not sure you can do that, but it'd be nice. Support for MP3/OGG/FLAC would also serve so people can listen to lectures or podcasts, and epub support would be good for distributing texts to students or staff that you want easily read and notes taken on, but not editable on its own.

We can do this. It is doable. It is possible. Also I want proper full travel keys. Not chicklet keys. I don't care if they're membrane or not since right now I'm on a twelve dollar logitech keyboard and it feels a lot nicer than chicklette.

The alphasmart does part of this, and the market basically isn't there for that thing in spite of  it working for 700ish hours off a trio of batteries and is built like a tank. Schools wanted to be sexy and cool and grab headlines by going with ipads.

There is no market in this thing. I want to find out how to build it anyway since I want it to exist, and I need SOMETHING to point my mind at I haven't tried before.

I do not have the money to do these things, but that is OK because I need to learn how to do first since what I'm thinking on how to make it happen might not be viable. Maybe when I have a plan together I will have money. Doubtful, but it's better than sitting around feeling sorry for myself.

Offline DVH

Re: New User with overly ambitious project
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 05:51:16 »
Welcome to Geekhack !

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 08:59:12 »
Good luck with your project. Take small chunks and work on those chunks first. Then unify them to make what you want a reality. If you want to have a good keyboard, maybe start with looking into those first. Sounds like you might be able to build a custom board, throw a Raspberry Pi in it, then find a screen, and achieve what you want.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 10:45:06 »
Good luck with your project. Take small chunks and work on those chunks first. Then unify them to make what you want a reality. If you want to have a good keyboard, maybe start with looking into those first. Sounds like you might be able to build a custom board, throw a Raspberry Pi in it, then find a screen, and achieve what you want.

Yes, that's a good suggestion, CPT.

Surely you will go through many design iterations before you get to a final design you like. See: Keyboardio Model 01, Alumaplop

Maybe try something like this. Design a plate for the keyboard, and hand wire it. Build an enclosure out of wood that will fit your keyboard, the RasPi, and a screen. Fit those components and get them working how you want. Then you can work on refining the design of the enclosure, and maybe which components you prefer.

Here is something to get you started: Super Awesome Tools and Resources Made By Users!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Goggles2114

• Cheapie Theatre
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 10:56:10 »
Appreciate the encouragment and links.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 05:31:27 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You've already had the big guns of technical ability in here pointing you in the right direction - there's not much more for me to say :))

Good luck with your project - like the guys say, take it a bit at a time, and if one bit gets too difficult, put it aside for a while and work on another bit.  Maybe you'll have inspiration to return to the first bit with fresh ideas :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ