Author Topic: Post your Duckies!  (Read 247984 times)

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: Post your Duckies!
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 11:35:33 »
The LED mod was a great idea. It really looks slick.

Thanks!  It didn't take too long to mod.  It didn't take too long to void my warranty either haha

The other mods I have in mind are:
  • modify or replace the plate to allow for switch top removal -- got permission from WFD to use the switch hole design from his universal TKL plate
  • mod the switch tops to allow for removal without having to desolder the LEDs -- got the idea from WFD too ;)
  • stick to the existing browns then lube and sticker 'em or throw in clears...55g? or 62g? :confused:

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 17:38:48 »
that ducky looks sleek as hell. :)
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 20:46:17 »
Funny story about how I ended up with white backlighting: I couldn't make up my mind at the time of purchase and went with a neutral option. ;)

Whoa...blue indicator LEDs...sounds cool!  I think I'll see if I can get some blue LEDs and experiment on the 4 app buttons on the upper right of the keyboard.

Oh yeah, those are blue as well :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline raspiguy

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 22:48:49 »
I'm sad my Ducky Shine did not come with one if these :(
-----

Does anyone have white thick PBT caps to show how they transmit backlight (at max brightness and at lowest brightness settings)?  I saw a photo not long ago (can't find it again) showing gray IMSTO PBT not transmitting any LED backlight, but white did.  But the photo was not of a Ducky keyboard.  I'd like to see how white thick PBT would look with top-mounted LEDs.

Also, similar question for double-shot ABS in light colors.

Photos would be greatly appreciated of dimmest and brightest LED settings!!
Pretty sure I see where you're coming from on this question - I'm highly interested in the answer to this, too, for thick PBT.  As far as the DS ABS goes, m00nshake posted pics of his CCnG set on a Shine II with Green LEDs at full brightness, and in the same thread explained that while there was some passthrough, he got sick of the inconsistent effect it had on visibility of the legends and went to thin white PBT:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35806.msg670258#msg670258

Another thread on it where somebody mentions a generalization about ABS being better than PBT for passthrough:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36348.msg685010#msg685010

And of course, Vesper's videos that show how well the thin PBT gets it done, think you were already in this thread:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41947.0

I don't know if it's just a hard thing to search for (maybe?), but otherwise the complete absence of pics for Shine IIs with the stock white ABS caps is tough, maybe even evidence of how big of a flop they've been as an offering -- but I really want to see a view of what one of those keys looks like in reactive mode (i.e. considering the entire key, with a covered legend) in a darker setting.

On the PBT, there has to be somebody with a Shine II and a set of imsto's thick white PBT - might be worth starting a new thread to see if you can catch somebody's attention / get some pics.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 22:51:18 »
I tried using thick grey PBT's on my Shine II and it didn't come through very nice. You could still see some light but it was just a small circular light but didn't really illuminate the whole entire keycap like it did with the thin PBT's. I hope that helps at all.

Offline raspiguy

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 22:57:28 »
quack quack...Shine II (Brown with white LEDs):

Show Image

I'm so jealous of people that got on top of this early when the aftermarket Shine keycaps were still in stock.  'Hashtag grey-ShineII envy'...

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 22:57:41 »
Thick white IMSTO PBT passes the LED light rough quite well.  The darker gray does not.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 23:05:04 »

Show Image

I'm so jealous of people that got on top of this early when the aftermarket Shine keycaps were still in stock.  'Hashtag grey-ShineII envy'...
The gray keycaps are still in stock in qtan's vendio store. ;D

Offline raspiguy

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 23:15:35 »
Ducky Shine II w/ Clears
Show Image

Vesper, you've got a custom LED recording activated in this pic, right?  None of your base set seems to be lit like your NumLock - hoping that's not just a difference in room lighting causing the difference. 

Interesting layout compared to just the lettering in your videos, too.  I'm assuming they're the exact same thin/'regular' PBT sold by feng / qtan.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 23:18:20 »
Yeah, that's a custom backlit setting, and yes I believe they are the same ones from feng/qtan.

Offline raspiguy

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 23:34:51 »

Show Image

The gray keycaps are still in stock in qtan's vendio store. ;D
I tried asking him about it both here and on eBay.  He only posted the Purples on eBay after I messaged him about the Greys, then never posted Greys and never confirmed (or even replied, at all) that he had Greys when I replied directly to his Shine keycap announcement thread here on GH:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42441.0
He was quick to fix the error Photoelectric pointed out, too, so I know he saw my post and just never responded.  No way I'm lobbing my money over a silent wall and crossing my fingers, no matter how established a vendor.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 June 2013, 21:39:44 by raspiguy »

Offline raspiguy

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 00:40:54 »

Thanks!  It didn't take too long to mod.  It didn't take too long to void my warranty either haha

• modify or replace the plate to allow for switch top removal -- got permission from WFD to use the switch hole design from his universal TKL plate
  • mod the switch tops to allow for removal without having to desolder the LEDs -- got the idea from WFD too ;)
  • stick to the existing browns then lube and sticker 'em or throw in clears...55g? or 62g? :confused:
Are you talking about a custom full-size Ducky plate completely as a solo project, or are you a talking about it as a potential future group buy/project? 

I would want in on the latter.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 10:54:27 »

Are you talking about a custom full-size Ducky plate completely as a solo project, or are you a talking about it as a potential future group buy/project? 

Pardon the late reply...it's been a busy day.  Read your post earlier and it inspired me to make some calls.

Anyway...Custom full-size Ducky plate!

I'm meeting with a friend on Thursday to discuss the capabilities of his shop and possible costs.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 11:32:46 »

• stick to the existing browns then lube and sticker 'em or throw in clears...55g? or 62g? ???

Pardon the late reply...it's been a busy day.  Read your post earlier and it inspired me to make some calls.

I'm meeting with a friend on Thursday to discuss the capabilities of his shop and possible costs.

:o

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 11:50:40 »
Oh man. 2013 is truly the year of the full-size board!

BTW, that shine II slipped through my hands. No twin for you infiniti :[

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 11:54:22 »
...and that will be the look on the face of my friend and his team when I try to explain what I want  :)) :)) :))

Man...I hope he'll be a bro and not charge me a lot.

Oh man. 2013 is truly the year of the full-size board!

BTW, that shine II slipped through my hands. No twin for you infiniti :[

Say it ain't so! :(

Edit: I didn't use multi-quote properly haha
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 June 2013, 12:00:30 by infiniti »

Offline raspiguy

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 12:48:52 »

Yeah, exactly.  Struck me as odd that it had been 2 days and nobody else's ears had perked up at that comment yet.  Glad to see I'm not alone.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 12:50:09 »
It's GH--the land where small keyboards rule, and the full-sized keyboards are the poor bums picking up scraps in gutters :D

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 13:06:52 »
I so want another Ducky.  Bought a Ducky Shine 2-78 version, and sold it to my boss two days after I got it.  I wasn't really that impressed with the choice of switches, and she was born in 78, so that made it an easy trade.

What I really want is a Ducky Shine 2 with MX Green or White switches, green LEDs, and white keycaps.  Not a combination they currently have on offer...  So, do I just wait to see what Shine 3 options will be available, or get a Shine 2 with green LEDs and swap the switches?  Seems a shame to do that to a brand-new board. 

I'm conflicted...

Offline raspiguy

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 13:10:40 »
...and that will be the look on the face of my friend and his team when I try to explain what I want  :)) :)) :))

Man...I hope he'll be a bro and not charge me a lot.
Hence the group buy -- guilt him into taking a (much) smaller T&M premium for a high-volume order.  If the proof-of-concept price he quotes you for just your unit is too high, you might even be able to find some people to pitch in donations to making sure something happens.

Offline raspiguy

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 13:25:20 »
It's GH--the land where small keyboards rule, and the full-sized keyboards are the poor bums picking up scraps in gutters :D
'hashtag elitistkeyboards.com'...  ;)

Offline Ahlitah

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 14:37:52 »
here's my newly redecorated Ducky!

Ducky MX Green Board by Profound Mystery, on Flickr

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 14:40:37 »
here's my newly redecorated Ducky!

Show Image

Ducky MX Green Board by Profound Mystery, on Flickr

Very nice, I like it! Especially the 4 extra keys!

I'm still trying to decide how I want to do mine.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:42:17 »
Made a new thread for the discussion of the Custom Full-Size Ducky Plate:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44740.0
;)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 22:15:03 »
My retro ducky

Offline lyrill

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 14:01:24 »
I so want another Ducky.  Bought a Ducky Shine 2-78 version, and sold it to my boss two days after I got it.  I wasn't really that impressed with the choice of switches, and she was born in 78, so that made it an easy trade.

What I really want is a Ducky Shine 2 with MX Green or White switches, green LEDs, and white keycaps.  Not a combination they currently have on offer...  So, do I just wait to see what Shine 3 options will be available, or get a Shine 2 with green LEDs and swap the switches?  Seems a shame to do that to a brand-new board. 

I'm conflicted...

i don't know what you are thinking, but ducky shine 3 is the only thing i would by if i only have a liver left to sell2013

oh, and the new Deck keyboard with sick backlight too.

Offline raspiguy

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 14:43:10 »

I'm conflicted...
I don't know what kind of modding tools you're already equipped with / invested in that could justify the effort, but without additional info, I would have to discourage the idea of mixing & matching to customize a Shine2 at this point, given what we've seen about the expanded lighting options of the Shine3.  And since Ducky and other brands have already run successful offerings with MX Greens, it should be reasonable to expect / hope that they'll add Green switches to the cross-LED switch lineup -- leaving just the keycaps for you to acquire separately.

Waiting also has the added benefit of potentially getting your 'Green w/Greens' combo with a well-priced stock aluminum case.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 10:58:30 »
cross posting this

25806-0

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 11:11:47 »
Just got this.

Already nuked the "+/=" key while pulling a tight fitted keycap.

Now have to get a cheap MX Blue board as a donor. Luckily I am in India so can get the famed TVS-e Gold keyboard ($24) for 104 Cherry MX Blue.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 11:14:53 »
cross posting this

(Attachment Link)

Those are IMSTO PBTs?  Looking good :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 11:17:26 »
cross posting this

(Attachment Link)

Those are IMSTO PBTs?  Looking good :)

Yes they are, minus the numbpad '0 ins' key haha

Offline ARod

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 11:42:22 »
Here is my Ducky Shine II MX Brown.  I ordered up a 104 WASD keycaps set to get a feel for them.  My one fail was not making the dark gray keycaps as light gray.  No worries those, scored a set of Shine keycaps in gray and I'll have em on Tuesday. 

Aside from that I've owned(and re-sold) several other Ducky boards and they are by far my favorite.  I also own a CM Quickfire TK Limited Edition(gifting it to my daughter) and a Corsair K70 with Reds(wife loves it with the WASD .2mm red o-rings).

I ordered up a Dye-Sub DK9008G2 Pro Gray+Blue keycaps(love that scheme) in MX Blue and can't wait until Tuesday for that board.

26122-0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 02:00:17 »
^ Is that a running man on the Enter key?  Cool ;D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Online HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 03:49:57 »
KBC semi clear from Feng  :)

More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 08:01:33 »

More
Show Image

Those look good! Is it insanely bright though?

Online HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 12:27:59 »

More
Show Image

Those look good! Is it insanely bright though?

Thanks sir !!  ;)
I think it's bright enough, and the semi clear combine perfectly with the white LED  ;D

More

Offline w3djyt

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 18:02:44 »
oh my glob. So pretty. *_*

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 18:15:54 »
Rainbows!

Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 20:01:32 »
I got my Ducky DK9008 Shine II last Thursday and proceeded to modify it over the weekend.  Painted the tray, got new Chinese keycaps from Photoelectric and a GirlDC stormtrooper keycap.  It all came together this afternoon!

HUGE thanks to Photoelectic for help painting!
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 June 2013, 00:38:02 by metalliccharles »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 20:05:57 »
It's beautiful!  My Ducky is jealous.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 20:40:15 »
That's a very nice Ducky :)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 23:19:33 »
I got my Ducky DK9008 Shine II last Thursday and proceeded to modify it over the weekend.  Painted the tray, got new Chinese keycaps from Photoelectric and a GirlDC stormt rooper keycap.  It all came together this afternoon!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That paint job is pretty damn awesome! Makes me want to do something with my old DK9008!

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #92 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 00:36:52 »
That paint job is pretty damn awesome! Makes me want to do something with my old DK9008!

It was actually pretty easy too, especially with all the help I got from Photoelectric.  First thing I've ever really painted too haha. 
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 June 2013, 00:39:43 by metalliccharles »

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 00:43:25 »

It was actually pretty easy too, especially with all the help I got from Photoelectric.  First thing I've ever really painted too haha. 

Oooo I see! I wouldn't have been able to tell if it was your first time or not because it looks brilliant!

Photoelectric will have himself a PM coming in as soon as I get back home! Thanks for the info ;)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 00:51:11 »
Oh dear  :-X  I'm always happy to help and provide tips, but Metal's work is his own, so I can't take much credit.  I can only provide words of advice (unless someone wants to bother with shipping, but it's far more fun to make things ourselves), and the rest is practice and careful execution.

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 01:18:00 »
Oh dear  :-X  I'm always happy to help and provide tips, but Metal's work is his own, so I can't take much credit.  I can only provide words of advice (unless someone wants to bother with shipping, but it's far more fun to make things ourselves), and the rest is practice and careful execution.

Yep!  He convinced me that DIY was the way to go and it absolutely was!  I had a TON of fun painting it and was extremely satisfied with the job I had done :D  Just had to get some noob tips really.

Online HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 04:54:26 »
very nice paintjob sir !!  :D
may i know, what kind of paint do u use it ?
is it kyrlon ?
Thanks
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 June 2013, 04:56:48 by HendyZone »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 10:37:06 »
I got my Ducky DK9008 Shine II last Thursday and proceeded to modify it over the weekend.  Painted the tray, got new Chinese keycaps from Photoelectric and a GirlDC stormtrooper keycap.  It all came together this afternoon!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Oh man!  The white numpad on the white case looks absolutely awesome!  :cool:

Got a few questions for you and Photoelectric:
Did you use glossy paint?
How did you go about preparing the case for painting?  Did you sand the case smooth of the textured finish?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 10:42:16 »
1. RustOleum oil enamel (in this case Painter's Touch in white, matte I think, or satin.  Clear coat is Painter's Touch matte clear, very thin layers)
2. This was a "matte" textured case project, so no glossy paint was used.  You can definitely use clear gloss in multiple layers, followed by sanding and polishing to achieve a very glossy reflective look.
3. You dont need to do much preparation.  You need to clean the surface of any grease and impurities (mild low-residue liquid soap, maybe some alcohol).  Sand any roughness with 400-grit+ sandpaper, as anything less smooth will come through the paint in the end, after it dries.  Though if you do a lot of clear coats, the paint layer will be thick, and you can sand off a lot of unevenness and orange peel texture later.  But that's something to do only if you are sure you want a reflective finish and needs more tips.

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 11:16:45 »
Oh man!  The white numpad on the white case looks absolutely awesome!  :cool:

Got a few questions for you and Photoelectric:
Did you use glossy paint?
How did you go about preparing the case for painting?  Did you sand the case smooth of the textured finish?

Just to confirm what I used / did:

For prep I just washed the board with soap and water, and made sure there wasn't any lent or stray particles on the board.  I also taped up the 3 bottom screw holes as well as the 8 tabs on the inner walls. 

I then sprayed light coats until I got complete even coverage with Rust-Oleum Flat White http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Painter-s-Touch-2X-12-oz-Flat-White-General-Purpose-Spray-Paint-249126/202071354#.UcnATPmPN8E.   

Followed by 2 light clear coats of Rust-Oleum Matte Clear http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Painter-s-Touch-2X-12-oz-Flat-Matte-Clear-General-Purpose-Spray-Paint-249087/100670439#.UcnATvmPN8E.