Author Topic: Kinesis remapping/macroing woes...  (Read 6709 times)

Offline bonega

Kinesis remapping/macroing woes...
« on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 06:04:04 »
Hi.

Is there anyway to make a macro with a modifier without it getting mirrored to the other modifier?
AltGr and Alt always maps to the same macro which isn't working for me.

Basically I want to use Altgr to switch to a special layer with symbols important for programmers.
Ctrl and Alt already have their own important functions.

Furthermore: is there a way to remap a key to a shifted key?

I know that I can do all this in Software, but that solution have a whole other set of problems associated.

Thanks.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 March 2012, 10:07:52 »
quick answer:
wait for sordna to answer or IN

Offline kps

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 March 2012, 12:08:31 »
Quote from: bonega;555398
Is there anyway to make a macro with a modifier without it getting mirrored to the other modifier?

Do you mean a macro mapped to AltGr plus some other key? If so, then no, macro sources don't distinguish between left and right modifiers, and AltGr is really sent as “right Alt”. (Blame Microsoft for this bit of stupidity in the USB spec.)

Basically I want to use Altgr to switch to a special layer with symbols important for programmers.

That should really be done by the host. USB (like PS/2) deals in keys, not characters.

Do you mean something like having the ‘1’ key send ‘!’? If so, you would need to define a macro that sends SHIFT-1-UNSHIFT. Again, USB and PS/2 send key events, and it's up to the host to map them to characters. What OS are you using that doesn't handle keyboard layouts properly?

Offline sordna

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 March 2012, 23:21:22 »
Quote from: bonega;555398
Hi.

AltGr and Alt always maps to the same macro which isn't working for me.

Hmm, in that case, pick some alt+key combos that are unused. I tend to make my macros with ctrl+alt+some letter since they are less likely to be used my OS or programs. By the way, I hit ctrl+alt together with the same thumb.

Nope, remapping transposes an entire key as is. I find shift generally tiring in all keyboards, so on the Kinesis I either use a footswitch, or the extra thumb and/or palm keys I've added to my keyboards for effortless shifting.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline bonega

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 02:56:24 »
Sorry for the late reply.

I can do layout remapping in software on all different oses I use.
The problem is keeping them in sync or being forced to use another computer.

Macros however are problematic:

Some programs are strangely resilient to remapping efforts.
Both RDesktop and Thunderbird in Windows refuses to heed autohotkeys macros.

In Linux I still haven't found a way to make macros.

Is Kinesis ps2 compatible? If so I have a spare teensy, so I could make a hardware remapper.

Thanks.

Offline sordna

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 10:42:59 »
Quote from: bonega;562383
Is Kinesis ps2 compatible?

What do you mean? And, which exact Kinesis model do you have, you didn't mention in your OP.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline bonega

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 17:45:45 »
Quote from: sordna;562542
What do you mean? And, which exact Kinesis model do you have, you didn't mention in your OP.

I have a kinesis advantage MPC/USB European/Swedish model.

A PS2 compatible usb-keyboard means that you can get an adapter and connect it to one of your ps2 ports.
Teensy cannot act as a usbhost, therefore the Kinesis must be ps2 compatible.

And no, using spare alt-gr combos wont work for me.
There are too many symbols I want to bind.

Offline sordna

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 17:55:38 »
It's not PS/2 compatible then, however the main PCB outputs PS/2, which connects to a secondary PCB for USB conversion / USB hub. Open up the keyboard and you'll see. The connector is detachable, so you can easily detach it and connect it cleanly to a teensy. Info about the PS/2 main board here:
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:8110&p=561731&viewfull=1#post561731

Offline bonega

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 April 2012, 03:59:48 »
Thanks for your answer.

Really I am thinking of trying out TE instead.
One of the main kinesis selling points for me was layout remapping/macroing, but if I still have to do this in software I might as well look for other alternatives.
I find the Advantage to be overpriced if I only benefit from the ergonomic design.