Author Topic: help: want cheap and pretty good mechanical keyboard  (Read 2457 times)

Offline koala

help: want cheap and pretty good mechanical keyboard
« on: Thu, 05 April 2012, 20:24:37 »
I dont know which keyboard is good but i live in canada and i have looked at a couple keyboards such as the CM storm quickfire rapid are their any other good mechanical keyboards that are pretty cheap? leave suggestions please =P

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 April 2012, 20:38:58 »
Depends what kind of keyboard you are looking for.  If you plan to look for a 104 sized keyboard, then you should try newegg.  They are decently priced.  The CM Storm are good mechanical keyboards as well for the price.

Offline koala

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 April 2012, 21:05:45 »
ive heard about alps switches is there any difference between them and cherry switches also is there a difference in price?

Offline retsteel

• Hmmm... I guess I'm here again.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 April 2012, 22:17:38 »
cherry switches are a lot more common it seems and there are many types of each, may I suggest this for your reading pleasure?

Offline retsteel

• Hmmm... I guess I'm here again.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 April 2012, 22:18:48 »
also my personal preference for cheap and good would be a nice used model m(what other kind is there...).

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 April 2012, 23:55:54 »
There are some pretty good mechanical keyboards that are cheap. I really liked the CM storm QF rapids I have. I have also heard of other keyboards from ducky, PLU, and keycool that are decent, and pretty cheap (50-80USD range)

ALPS keyswitches are less common than cherry, at least in modern keyboards. They are pretty confusing, and everyone seems to prefer the old "complicated" ones. I thought the green alps on a certain ducky keyboard sounded pretty good, though I haven't tried them myself.

I like the tactility of the ALPS keyswitches on my ALPS-u-lator, but I don't think they'd be very good for typing.
---
If you like small keyboards, you can try the Cherry G84-SPAUS model. I was very pleasantly surprised by it: I hadn't thought a low profile switch could be that good, and I use it at my desktop constantly. I think I was able to get it for $15 shipped from eBay. The best bet would be to grab a decent IBM model M or old ALPS 'board from goodwill or maybe ebay, if you really want value for money.