Author Topic: IC resolution and the future  (Read 6063 times)

Offline Moderation Team

• * Global Moderator
IC resolution and the future
« on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 21:36:24 »
Two weeks ago we made a change to how the IC subforum was managed, and chose to move IC's which were to be ran through Massdrop, to the Massdrop vendor subforum. We had our reasons to why we chose to do this, but the primary motivator was that Massdrop has a dedicated discussion platform for their drops. We received a small outcry from the community, and a large amount of praise. As such, we got together and discussed the goal of this split. We had mixed views internal to the team and have decided to revert these changes for the time being. These threads will be moved back to the IC subforum this evening, for the time being.

We are working as a team to decide how to best align the subforums with the ways in which the hobby has evolved. We are seeing more and more offsite group buys, which is great for choice, but removes a lot of control over how we moderate the GB subforum. We have a set of rules, which are lax, that we are not able to enforce on topics that are held through an outside entity. As such, we will be bringing changes to how these subforums are organized and managed. We are going over ideas that will allow the community to self moderate, as well as give the little guys the attention they need. As of now, there is not an ETA as to when these changes will occur. All we can say is soonTM.

Please use this topic for constructive feedback. We cannot guarantee that all requests or complaints are addressed, but we will do our best to make changes that make sense and benefit everyone.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: IC resolution and the future
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 21:45:03 »
Happy to see them moved back as long as it's temporary.

I do agree that things need to be controlled a little more, since a lot of ICs are becoming purely marketing tools for businesses trying to make money instead of taking genuine community feedback.

I don't think self-moderation is great, but maybe I've interpreted that differently than the desired thought.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 23:57:17 »

Don't think it even need to be temporary, personally.

I do agree that things need to be controlled a little more, since a lot of ICs are becoming purely marketing tools for businesses trying to make money instead of taking genuine community feedback.

I don't think they are for the most part.  It's just that a lot of them are strong from the beginning, and the designer has a good idea about them.  If something was brought up that was outside of the design, I truly believe that they would change it.  I've seen it happen.  There's also more than a small chance that the vendor they think they're running through does not end up being the final vendor.  I've seen that happen too.

But in the end it's their choice.  And if there was a large amount of praise that was not perhaps seen by the large part of the community compared to a small outcry, then perhaps their choice should have stood no matter what common sense seemed to be saying.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 01:02:00 »
aight

will be interesting to see what happens next

don't really have any suggestions
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 02:45:26 »
I think it needs to be more basic Incoming = Incoming regardless of who is doing the drop or if its even being hosted on Geekhack.. unless geekhack wishes to take financial responsibility for group buys which I don't expect them to nor think they should. Same goes for Group buy's etc. I also think the vendor forums need to be ditched completely. This is just my 2 cent thought thats most likely not even worth that.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 13:28:23 »

Everything is promotion in the end. Your keyboards you post ICs to are basically defined to be what you want them to be, and you do a great job of it, I don't think your ICs should be scurried off to a "Xondat" subforum just because you know what you want and only want limited feedback.

Moving on to addressing the "issue" and mod team, here's my suggestion: if you're going to take this seriously even though I honestly don't think you need to come up with a solution for something that really isn't a problem, please adapt the forum's structure accordingly - as you could clearly see from your rushed experiment, barely anyone at all visits the sub-subforums. This will continue to be the case whenever you revisit the change.

If you really are unbiased and want the ICs to get the attention they deserve regardless of whether or not they are affiliated with x or y change the core of your website to reflect this. Either that or come up with your own solution internally that results in the same thing happening, else you'll continue to impair designs, designers, and above all, the community you've created.

Some more admittedly unsolicited advice/feedback - don't let personal vendettas and the likes get in the way of impartial and reasonable moderation. Don't over-moderate or you'll end up eclipsing your actual intent. Don't over-complicate to pursue a 2% increase when the result can be harmful if it fails (or even if it doesn't). Judge situations accurately and fairly in order to avoid "small community outcries"; which by the way, I'd love to be able to be made aware of the "large amount of praise" you received, if some links to where that happened could be provided I'd appreciate it.

I think my other posts on the matter have been explicit enough and as such I don't need to prolong myself too much here.