Author Topic: removing PCB molding flash  (Read 1877 times)

Offline bcredbottle

removing PCB molding flash
« on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 08:04:39 »
My Falbatech Ergodox PCB won't fit into the litster case because some molding flash makes it too big to fit within the confines of layer 2.

I want to remove it but (A) I don't know how; and (B) I'm afraid of damaging the PCB in some way. Does anyone have experience? Any comment would be helpful. It's also worth noting that this thing is already soldered into the switches so I can't really remove the layer 3 plate without desoldering the whole thing :(

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: removing PCB molding flash
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 08:29:55 »
It's only fiberglass. You can trim it with a sharp knife, or file it off with a file.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline geniekid

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 09:37:25 »
It's only fiberglass. You can trim it with a sharp knife, or file it off with a file.

Filing fiberglass can be bad for your health.  In this case it's pretty negligible given the tiny amount you're working with, but don't inhale the resulting dust and definitely wash your hands and work area afterward.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 16:33:21 »
A Dremel tool with a fine sanding bit would work good. Wear a dust mask to be safe.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 15:52:44 »
Tape the sides of it with first some masking tape and then some thick tape. Then file that down with a file. Goes very quickly.

But it is fibreglass. So I would wear a dust mask, and have the vacuum cleaner with HEPA filter running next to it while I do it. Then suck up the dust. Also do it on top of a newspaper, which I then fold and throw it away. Clean desk/workbench with vacuum cleaner. Then with a rag. Then clean my hands. Change clothes. Then take the dust mask off.
🍉

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 18:49:42 »
a sharp pair of flush nippers would be easy, and leave significantly less dust.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 07:32:30 »
Tape the sides of it with first some masking tape and then some thick tape. Then file that down with a file. Goes very quickly.

But it is fibreglass. So I would wear a dust mask, and have the vacuum cleaner with HEPA filter running next to it while I do it. Then suck up the dust. Also do it on top of a newspaper, which I then fold and throw it away. Clean desk/workbench with vacuum cleaner. Then with a rag. Then clean my hands. Change clothes. Then take the dust mask off.

I wish I had read this first. I just filed it like it was a fingernail. I am going to die soon.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 09:10:00 »

I wish I had read this first. I just filed it like it was a fingernail. I am going to die soon.

Unless you intentionally breathed ALL the dust from the filings, you should be okay. Don't inhale fiberglass dust without protective gear on a daily basis for years, unless you want mesothelioma. I hear it's not pleasant.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."