Author Topic: Filco Majestouch 2 Camouflage Tenkyless (CherryMX Black)  (Read 10333 times)

Offline Kamikaze K

Filco Majestouch 2 Camouflage Tenkyless (CherryMX Black)
« on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 10:00:55 »
NOTE: I actually did this review a few months ago and posted it on another forum... Thought I'd dig it up and share it on GH as well.  

Okay, I've had my Filco Multicam Tenkeyless with Cherry Black switches for about a week now so I thought I'd write a quick post about it. Have to say that the added space by not having a numpad is great and having my arms closer together is very comfortable!

Being my first Filco 'board I was curious to see it's much praised build quality. Have to say it doesn't disappoint. I was quite surprised by the heft of the board seeing it was a tenkeyless. It's very solid. One very minor gripe I have with mine is that the keyboard doesn't sit exactly flat on the table. All the seams and joins are perfectly fitted and aligned with no flex or movement... I've come to the conclusion that it's just the bottom left rubber feet being just a smidgen shorter than the rest. I have the legs extended and that seems to solve that issue.

I was concerned that the camo look would be a bit tacky but to my pleasant surprise it looks very nice. The camo is not too pronounced and bright which is a good thing.

I decided to opt for the black switches and I have to say I really enjoying them. The black's are a linear switch which means no Click or tactile bump and has a higher force required for actuation compared to the Brown's or Blue's (and a lot quiter than the Blue's!). A lot of people find them too fatiguing after a while but so far I typing without too much trouble. That's maybe 'cause I'm quite the heavy typer normally and I tend to bottom out the keys on my blue's (years of rubberdome I guess) so I guess I'm used to using more force. I've also been playing a lot of FPS's with them and so far so good. Only time I felt any kind of fatigue was when I held the left shift down for an extended amount of time... But I reckon it'll get easier as my little finger gets used to it. I'm yet to decide which switch I like more out of the Blue's or Black's... More time is needed I reckon.

:thumb: Overall I love my Tenkeyless Filco. It's a solid 'board that looks good and fucntions fantastically. It's cemented my addiction for mech'boards even more and coming from the Blue's I'm looking forward to trying even more switch types. I've included some photos so check them out if you'd like!

FILCO Majestouch 2 Camouflage Tenkeyless [Black]
DUCKY DK9008 Shining [Blue]
CM STORM Quickfire Rapid [Red]
TOPRE REALFORCE 87U

Offline pitashen

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 03:55:02 »
On the left of your board, check if there is a very tight clearance between the keycaps and the casing as if the caps would scratch on the casing. Check the same on the right.

Check if the front edge arcs outward slightly.

I don't think the wobbling is as simple as having shorter rubber feet. I wouldn't call it a defect, but the quality standard certainly got loosen up a bit.

Black switches are nice :) If you don't bottom out you would end up spending similar amount of forces pressing the keys as Blues.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 February 2012, 13:06:50 by pitashen »
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Kamikaze K

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 12:28:42 »
Quote from: pitashen;520511
On the left of your board, check if there is a very tight clearance between the keycaps and the casing as if the caps would scratch on the casing. Check the same on the right.

Check if the front edge arcs outward slightly.

I don't think the wobbling is not as simple as having shorter rubber feet. I wouldn't call it a defect, but the quality standard certainly got loosen up a bit.

Black switches are nice :) If you don't bottom out you would end up spending similar amount of forces pressing the keys as Blues.

Yeah I checked... it has all that.  I find it funny how much Ducky gets hammered on this forum yet when it comes to Filco's people hare happy to let it slide... Even with all that it still rates as one of my favourite boards in my growing collection. :)

Also as a bit of an update... the wobbling seems to have fixed itself.  When I was switching to another board I retracted the extenders to see if it's still there and to my surprise it was sitting flush on my table!  Voila! Magic.

Edit:  Just dawned on me that the warping outward of the casing may have something to do with the way they applied the multicam coating... Possible?
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 February 2012, 12:30:51 by Kamikaze K »
TOPRE REALFORCE 87U

Offline pitashen

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 13:10:05 »
Quote from: Kamikaze K;520807
Yeah I checked... it has all that.  I find it funny how much Ducky gets hammered on this forum yet when it comes to Filco's people hare happy to let it slide... Even with all that it still rates as one of my favourite boards in my growing collection. :)

Also as a bit of an update... the wobbling seems to have fixed itself.  When I was switching to another board I retracted the extenders to see if it's still there and to my surprise it was sitting flush on my table!  Voila! Magic.

Edit:  Just dawned on me that the warping outward of the casing may have something to do with the way they applied the multicam coating... Possible?

Yes, raising the butt end up will "remedy" the wobbling for some unknown reason.  

No, pretty sure it is not the coating.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 13:57:25 »
Quote from: ripster;520867
Oh, THAT!  See my McRip Theorem post in my subforum.

Maybe, maybe not. I have mine wobbles on glass top. But wobbles not when put up the feet. Will probably look into it in more detail when I got some spare time.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 14:05:41 »
Quote from: ripster;520925
No really, you should see my post for the simple fix.

the twisty twist thingy? If thats it I already tried it. It only helps temporarily for me and it would go back to the wobbling state again after some time. But heck I am overall cool with it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 February 2012, 14:08:43 by pitashen »

Offline Kamikaze K

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 14:08:45 »
Quote from: ripster;520811
Thanks for the review.  Added to the Geekhack Mechanical Keyboard Guide.

I wouldn't let my Filco slide.  It has excellent rubber feet compared to those ****ing Chinese clones.
(Attachment Link) 41275[/ATTACH]

Maybe Ripster but to be honest, no one wants their keyboard to ever slide!  Metaphorically and literally.... And I ,good sir, thank you for your thanks... though it's not really an in depth review but thought I'd post it up anyway since there doesn't seem to be one for the board.

Quote from: pitashen;520922
Maybe, maybe not. I have mine wobbles on glass top. But wobbles not when put up the feet. Will probably look into it in more detail when I got some spare time.

Though initially I had to extend the legs to fix the wobble, what I meant was after some use I flipped the legs back up to the retracted position and turns out that the initial wobble had corrected itself.... hence "magic"!
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 February 2012, 14:12:10 by Kamikaze K »
TOPRE REALFORCE 87U

Offline pitashen

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 15:34:58 »
nice

Offline useless_people

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 19:20:07 »
Ripster, it seems as though everything can be related to your McRip thread or one of the others on your personal boards.
[SIGPIC]
[/SIGPIC]
CM Storm Quickfire Rapid
WASD VP3
"Custom" TOFU 60% with Kailh Box Whites

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 20:30:59 »
On some boards, wobbling can be remedied by pushing down moderately hard on top of the four corners of the board with equal pressure, making sure to push down directly over the feet that it is resting on.

Offline kbfreak

• * Commercial Vendor
Re: Filco Majestouch 2 Camouflage Tenkyless (CherryMX Black)
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 19:37:54 »
Hmmm...can't say i love the camouflage but I suppose if you are a gamer and likes to shoot around, this may be the perfect way to add some authenticity to the gaming lol.

Offline evolz

Re: Filco Majestouch 2 Camouflage Tenkyless (CherryMX Black)
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 04:45:32 »
Well this has just been added on my wishlist... Thanks for the Review  :confused: