Author Topic: Extremely cold hands while typing/gamin  (Read 4730 times)

Offline Ameo

• ameobea.me
Extremely cold hands while typing/gamin
« on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 20:44:09 »
Hi.  I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I have an issue with my hands getting incredibly cold while typing and/or playing games on the computer for long periods of time.  I am in a rather chilly basement so I'm sure that's a large part of the issue.  I have some fingerless gloves that help a bit, but they also make accurate mouse use and typing more difficult.  Does anyone have any methods they use to deal with cold hands that I could try out, or is it a matter of getting a warmer basement?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Extremely cold hands while typing/gamin
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 20:51:41 »
Hi.  I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I have an issue with my hands getting incredibly cold while typing and/or playing games on the computer for long periods of time.  I am in a rather chilly basement so I'm sure that's a large part of the issue.  I have some fingerless gloves that help a bit, but they also make accurate mouse use and typing more difficult.  Does anyone have any methods they use to deal with cold hands that I could try out, or is it a matter of getting a warmer basement?

hahahaha..

Long sleeves help

Also.. Working-out with weights help improve circulation..

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 20:51:54 »
warm packs! you can use rice, beans, anything fibrous and inert. put them in a little baggy and toss them on a heater or in the microwave for a teensy bit

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/ewyq5/what_are_some_cheap_reusable_hand_warmers_like/

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 01:41:01 »
I use some fingerless gloves, it helps but you're probably better off with mkawa's suggestion of some kind of warm packs.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 01:49:16 »
Dress warm, hot packs as mentioned already, running mildly hot water over hands or soaking in sink. The warm water is only a quick fix though, I wear a lightweight fleece jacket or hoody as long sleeves helps considerably and it usually keeps my hands from getting cold. You can buy electronic hand warmers if you don't want to use the disposable kinds or have quick access to a microwave for the rice kinds.
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 03:13:48 »
I use fingerless gloves.  Mousing is awkward at first, but you can get used to it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 03:58:04 »
Higher chair, lower desk. Lower hands = more blood flow to them. Not only is it warmer, it's healthier overall, too.

Combined with the other suggestions so far.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 04:56:19 »
Rest breaks, preferably somewhere warm.  Could you move the computer to a warmer room?

GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 04:57:32 »
Higher chair, lower desk. Lower hands = more blood flow to them. Not only is it warmer, it's healthier overall, too.

Hrrrrmmmmmm...

Offline PieterGen

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 09:40:52 »
It could be genetic. I have cold hands too, it runs in the family. If it is severe it's called the Raynaud phenomenon. It gets worse from (il)legal stimulants (coffee, adhd medication, cocaine), beta blockers and other substances.  I am a coffee junkie nonetheless :-) 

I have found when my hands (or feet) are cold, they stay cold. I put them under hot water to unfreeze them, and usually they stay warm after that. Regular excercise helps too.

Offline SpaceGhost

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 10:01:28 »
Apart from environmental chilliness, hypertension (i.e., high blood pressure) can also be the cause of cold hands, and cold feet as well. If you have not had your blood pressure checked recently, it may be a good idea to do so.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 10:14:59 »
I drink a lot of tea while gaming which helps.

Otherwise the best thing was to increase the temperature in my office where I game.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 20:25:03 »

Otherwise the best thing was to increase the temperature in my office where I game.

pretty sure tea constricts due to the caff..

there's low caff tea though..

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 22:42:33 »

pretty sure tea constricts due to the caff..

there's low caff tea though..

Tea is generally very low in caffeine content when compared to coffee anyway.

If you're drinking light green tea or something it really should be a non issue

Offline RiGS

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 05:42:57 »
Eat more food, drink less water.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 05:37:32 »
Eat more food, drink less water.

I don't see this drink less water part?

That's because your understanding of physiology is nill :D

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 05:40:18 »
I have this problem as well, I think I just have ****ty blood-flow overall - my feet are always cold too.

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 03:41:21 »
Drop hands down by your side, relax shoulders. Shake hands vigorously. Do this regularly.

Offline Demesnenyx

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 05:42:52 »
I use a floor heater to warm my hands/feet when I need to.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 07:32:59 »

Quoting myself to reiterate the value for those with long arms, low blood pressure, poor blood flow, etc.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.