Author Topic: Red VS Brown Filco Help  (Read 12370 times)

Offline NeoDiNardo

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 06:55:47 »
Here I am again. Took me about ten password failures to get back in, guess I've been busy enjoying my cherry brown Filco tenkeyless. Stil unable to decide, but a year wiser having spent the last year with a Filco. Broke a key and sold it though.

Now I was shocked to find elite no longer has them, but then I found filco on Amazon. I would rather do amazon anyway. but I may have to import from keyboard co. Anyway due to lack of stock here. Which seems more pricey than amazons deal in USA, but no tenkeyless love right now.

I deeply missed my numberpad all year long for credit cards and passwords. But as much as I was still missing the numberpad, I was thinking of just buying the separate Filco cherry brown numberpad, for fear I can't go back to full sized keyboards. What do you guys prefer on that? Separate numberpad or integrated?

And now I have this cherry red VS brown dilemma. I know I like the brown, not interested in blue, but everyone seems to be jumping on this cherry red wagon, or is it just it's new? I do 35 percent gaming, 65 percent pc typing, so which to get this time? Please explain in legos... Jk ... :)

I found the browns a bit light, but I got used to them, but yea, if I linger by mistake, I get a dozen ssssssssssssss, but I am very decent with it if I pay attention.

By the way, I found the lightest kb of them all, my iPad 2 lol. The slightest touch lol.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 May 2011, 07:08:13 by NeoDiNardo »

Offline Human

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 07:20:45 »
Quote from: NeoDiNardo;340234
Here I am again. Took me about ten password failures to get back in, guess I've been busy enjoying my cherry brown Filco tenkeyless. Stil unable to decide, but a year wiser having spent the last year with a Filco. Broke a key and sold it though.

Now I was shocked to find elite no longer has them, but then I found filco on Amazon. I would rather do amazon anyway. but I may have to import from keyboard co. Anyway due to lack of stock here. Which seems more pricey than amazons deal in USA, but no tenkeyless love right now.

I deeply missed my numberpad all year long for credit cards and passwords. But as much as I was still missing the numberpad, I was thinking of just buying the separate Filco cherry brown numberpad, for fear I can't go back to full sized keyboards. What do you guys prefer on that? Separate numberpad or integrated?

And now I have this cherry red VS brown dilemma. I know I like the brown, not interested in blue, but everyone seems to be jumping on this cherry red wagon, or is it just it's new? I do 35 percent gaming, 65 percent pc typing, so which to get this time? Please explain in legos... Jk ... :)

I found the browns a bit light, but I got used to them, but yea, if I linger by mistake, I get a dozen ssssssssssssss, but I am very decent with it if I pay attention.

By the way, I found the lightest kb of them all, my iPad 2 lol. The slightest touch lol.
If you enjoyed your brown and not feel it is too stiff(oh really?), then just keep with your brown. If you want to go lighter, then go ahead for red.
Virtual kb huh? Some ppl just simply hate it for the sake of no hand rest, no tactile feedback and impossible to touchtype.

If NKRO is not your concern, go for this, enough say.
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7431926867
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 May 2011, 07:24:38 by Human »

Offline NeoDiNardo

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 07:26:40 »
So the reds are lighter? I found the browns a bit light, not looking for lighter, but I seem to understand the reds have a vastly different flow to them that others are digging, and I didn't think I would dig the browns after first samples but I did in the long run.

I was kidding on the iPad 2... I love the thing, Using it now, but it's not for typing, it's my portable window to the Internet, and it rocks for that. My "make it so" tablet.

Whats this Filco mini?!

Thinking of ordering the full size cherry red from amazon, I could always return. Kinda still want ten keyless though, but the pricing and less easy return option from overseas scares me away a bit.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 May 2011, 07:39:17 by NeoDiNardo »

Offline Human

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 07:46:59 »
Quote from: NeoDiNardo;340247
So the reds are lighter? I found the browns a bit light, not looking for lighter, but I seem to understand the reds have a vastly different flow to them that others are digging, and I didn't think I would dig the browns after first samples but I did in the long run.

I was kidding on the iPad 2... I love the thing, Using it now, but it's not for typing, it's my portable window to the Internet, and it rocks for that. My "make it so" tablet.

Whats this Filco mini?!

Thinking of ordering the full size cherry red from amazon, I could always return. Kinda still want ten keyless though, but the pricing and less easy return option from overseas scares me away a bit.

If you do use the numpad and having enough space for it, dont ever go for Tenkeyless...
The Filco Mini is sort of EOL product and should be not having NKRO too. May be some seller in Taobao or other place still do carry some stocks for it, need to ask around.
Red is lighter from the Brown despite using same spring cz there is no bump(mean linear).

Offline NeoDiNardo

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 07:58:15 »
Brown full size plus red tenkeyless perhaps? A good combo? .... Sounds nice. I'll sleep on it

Offline nocturn4l3030

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 21:01:09 »
after jus getting a brown keyboard today.. i've concluded that they're both light touch keyboards.. but the red distinctly "feels" slightly heavier because of the way the switch is made.  it's pretty much a lighter "black" switch... so when typing on the reds- after pressing down a certain distance, it has an upward force which helps you not bottom out (though it's still easy to bottom out).  but if you get used to the reds and learn how to type on it "properly".. it's really a pleasant typing experience and is the "fastest" keyboard i own.

the brown feels lighter because it doesn't have pressure pushing back upwards like the reds/blacks do

in my opinion if you game and spam the same key several times.. it gets slightly more tiring on reds than it does browns so i would stay with your browns.  but if typing is your forte, reds is an awesome choice

hope this helps
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 May 2011, 21:04:08 by nocturn4l3030 »
What happens when you discover GeekHack:
[strike]Black Ducky dk1087 Cherry (Brown)
Topre Realforce 103UB 55g
Topre Realforce 103UB
Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 (Clear)
White PLU ML-87 (Blue)
1990 IBM Model M 1391401
Cherry G80-3000LSCEU-0 (Blue)
[/strike]

Cherry G80-3600LYCEU-2 (Red)
Topre Realforce 86UB
Filco Tenkeyless (Brown)

[/SIZE]

Offline NeoDiNardo

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 23:59:15 »
Well I just ordered the special edition Filco Majestouch 2 TenKeyLess Cherry Red board from Keyboard Company. If I don't like it I can just go for brown again and resell the Cherry Red board here. I decided to skip the full sized and separate numberpads for now, but later will get a numberpad. I expect to like it better than the browns based off of all the traits I have read, and I expect it to be better for gaming than browns. We will see!

Offline nocturn4l3030

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 00:01:53 »
let us know how you like it compared to the browns when u get it!
What happens when you discover GeekHack:
[strike]Black Ducky dk1087 Cherry (Brown)
Topre Realforce 103UB 55g
Topre Realforce 103UB
Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 (Clear)
White PLU ML-87 (Blue)
1990 IBM Model M 1391401
Cherry G80-3000LSCEU-0 (Blue)
[/strike]

Cherry G80-3600LYCEU-2 (Red)
Topre Realforce 86UB
Filco Tenkeyless (Brown)

[/SIZE]

Offline NeoDiNardo

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 00:50:42 »
The thing about browns is that they don't become super apparent on strengths and cons until u used them for a spell, I expect no less of the reds

Offline brkim1324

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 02:36:50 »
From what I understand, brown feels the same as blue without the clicky sound, but has the middle point feeling like blue. I currently own Red, and it's very different from brown. Their force weight is very different too. Here's the comparison.
Force weight:
brown 55g, red 45g (same as HHKB, but feel lighter than HHKB pro)
typing feeling:
brown, has that distinct middle point like blue. good tactile feedback.
red, linear, meaning the key will be pushed in very easily. There's nothing stopping you until you hit the bottom
tactile feel:
brown, distinct middle point, you will know when you hit the key or not right away. and you will get used to that
red: light, linear. very light compared to brown. If you are used to clicky like blue, you will get some hard time typing at first.
There's really no distinct feel that let you know u typed or not. But there's that unique feeling of linear smoothness when you type.. hard to describe. but definitely not so distinictive as brown or blue.
Also, it's almost cloud typing. Your hands need much less force than typing on brown. If you type alot with red, your fingers will tend to type much lighter than it used to.
It's not like you try not to type hard, your fingers will just adjust to it, and you will find yourself typing much smoother and lighter.
audio:
brown: not so loud, but since has that click, it will make some noise. And it sounds great.
red: also quiet, and make noise when you type. But no noise at all if you start to type lightly (not bottoming out).
and has that "sa-gak" sound of linear type keyboards when you type. It is quite nice to hear.

Overall, both have good and bad.
If you want to feel more of distinct feel of mechanical keyboards when you type, go with browns.
It just feels great and to feel that middle joint.
If you want more like cloud typing, and hear that linear sound and feel of it (sounds like cherry black, or steelseries 6g)
but much lighter feel of it, go with Red. I am currently typing with Red, and my fingers just never got tired since. I had to change it from blue,
cause my fingers got tired :( especially when I play SC2.. my fingers fatigue much later after I changed it to Red.
although I love more loud noise of blue. But I now got almost used to Red, that I also like that Red audio feedback almost cute whisper compared to blue.
But they are both great keyboards and very different :)
If you can try both!!

Offline n19htmare

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 02:45:41 »
Quote from: brkim1324;340824
From what I understand, brown feels the same as blue without the clicky sound, but has the middle point feeling like blue.

That's what you get told until you actually TRY both. I don't think the Browns are anything like the Blues. Often when I'm typing, the browns feel linear to me. And the tactile bump is only felt when you push the key slowly and actually are looking for the bump.

I also read that the browns were the same as the blues without the click etc etc.....till I got the browns (I also have the blues).

Offline brkim1324

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 02:50:21 »
That's what you get told until you actually TRY both. I don't think the Browns are anything like the Blues. Often when I'm typing, the browns feel linear to me. And the tactile bump is only felt when you push the key slowly and actually are looking for the bump.

I also read that the browns were the same as the blues without the click etc etc.....till I got the browns (I also have the blues).

EDIT: Yea. I just tried to compare between brown and red in words, which is not so correct unless you really try them :)
can you elaborate more on the browns comparison with blues?
Wanna know more about the difference. Many people say they are very similar and made to be the same.
Some say blue feel lighter, brown feel lighter, they feel the same just audio feedback difference..
Wanna hear your thoughts!
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 May 2011, 02:54:10 by brkim1324 »

Offline Human

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 03:02:22 »
Quote from: n19htmare;340828

According to most ppl, red is just like a more linear and lighter version of brown.
The tactile of Blue is more distinct and ''longer'' than that of brown.

Offline brkim1324

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 03:05:01 »
According to most ppl, red is just like a more linear and lighter version of brown.
The tactile of Blue is more distinct and ''longer'' than that of brown.

Yeah I have both :P
Red is just lighter version of black, in my aspect.

Offline NeoDiNardo

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 03:32:11 »
Quote from: n19htmare;340828

This is mostly my inner musings, but here goes my unproven guesses: I've only tried browns, but I have read enough to know blues are nothing like browns, its more than a lack of sound and lower force like. blues seem very mechanical. Click clack. Closer to my old matlas tactile pro Apple kb. That was an awesome kb by the way. Browns only have a slight tactile bump, so little it does not feel like a bump in fast typing, it just adds nuance to the pressure required, Or so I believe, I have no other cherry switches to compare it too. However I imagine blues more like what my matlas tactile pro keyboard was like, to a lesser degree however, as the Apple board was more clicky still with Alps switches.

In fact I believe while browns are a good middle of the road choice in that they do well with gaming and typing, they are a poor choice if you go for two boards.... better to get a linear key for gaming, as no mild middle bump or click center is in a Playstation or Nintendo controller, the main buttons are a smooth press, and more what I imagine blacks and reds to be. Or at least blacks, reds light spring may alter the rules like. We will have to see, but as a heavy console gamer, I know what game buttons should feel like. Blue seems best for pure responsive typing, brown is a bridge board good at both games and typing yet but best at none, yet some dig the light brown feel and that is best for them,  and black is gaming and retail kiosk only. Reds might be the best of both worlds, a smother press button for gaming, tactile keys does nothing for gaming skills, but light enough to type good. But if I do need another board, browns seem too close, perhaps I should try blue for typing and red for night typing and games. I don't game enough to go pure black keys, that's all they are good for like.

I typed this on my Android phone, sorry its not better edited.

So thats what I expect, but there is nothing like trying them out hands on, so these are my educated guesses only...

Offline NeoDiNardo

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 06:01:48 »
I got cold feet and cancelled the red cherry brown. The price was exorbant... and honestly after reading the last couple descriptions of the red switch I think the browns best for me anyway . Ten keyless cherry browns are  coming to the usa eventually the keyboard company said.

Offline Zensuji

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 07:42:41 »
I've only had a very short time on the red while gaming (fps) but I much prefer the browns. During gaming they feel about the same. But even though I bottom out WASD I like the tactile feeling while hitting "r" for reload etc. Or having that bit of tactile feedback so I know I've activated the key to say switch weapon during a maneuver that causes it to cue up....like if I'm in the middle of mantling over something in COD.

For typing I find the reds a little boring for want of a better word. I used blacks for years on CS & typing and I never want to go back to a linear switch. I may have got on better after a little time but they didnt suck me in enough to want to switch. Even with the hype that surrounds them.

I think if browns had always worked how the reds functioned and reds worked like the browns, people would be going nuts over the limited reds with lots of "OMG!! they are the perfect balance!1 must have switch"..

Offline Chobopants

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 10:36:41 »
Honestly, I'm happy that I have all three. They're all quite different. Honestly, it just comes down to preference. Until I had tried all three I was never 100% happy with any of my boards because I was always wondering if something else was better. Now I like each one for different reasons. The brown really is the work horse jack of all trades. It's not as fun to type on as a blue but there really are zero downsides. You can feather for gaming, you get a little tactile bump (which it'll take a few months of typing on to really get a feel for), and it has a noise profile that can be reduced by careful typing.

Blues are always noisy and you can't feather the keys (requires full lift-off to stop actuation). That said, they are possibly the most fun switch to just type on. I am easily the fastest on my blues. The aural feedback helps your brain type even quicker. They're the switch that you can really show someone what "mechanical" feels like and they really want that tactile actuation they get from their domes/scissors you'll get that the most with your blues.

Reds...are sexy. Not sure how else to describe it. Cloud of boobs is accurate enough such that I'm going to go with it. Pressing down on the keys is like skiing down a gentle slope to the finish. With careful typing they can make the least amount of sound, you can feather them alllll day, and they feel so nice just to press down on them gently even if you're not typing anything.

Don't know if this will help or make your decision harder but I equally recommend all three, for different reasons.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline NeoDiNardo

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 11:19:29 »
Well, my Cloud of Boobs is back on the way. When the price of the Filco 2 Cherry Red TenKeyLess was almost $250 from UK to USA, I was like "Forget this S***, cancel my order please." But for the price of $164 with free shipping and Amazon's awesome 30 day return policy, I'll try them out. I was order number 5 out of 7 availible, and now they are down to 3-2-1, only 1 left now! All Geek Hackers no doubt, over a period of like half an hour. It was like some countdown clock in a video game, I had to act quick! They have plenty of Filco 2 Cherry Brown TenKeyLess (140+), and somewhat less of the Filco 2 Cherry Blue TenKeyLess (30+), all just now availible on Amazon today. I might order up a second type, it's like Christmas!

Browns or Blues for second board?
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 May 2011, 11:30:05 by NeoDiNardo »

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 11:37:25 »
Your original post indicated you weren't interested in blues. Why the change of heart?
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline NeoDiNardo

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 11:59:10 »
I wanna try them all at this price! $140 Delivered is the cheapest I have ever seen, even Elite Keyboards could not match this (Shipping costs added a bit to their pricing). Free shipping via Amazon plus low cost 30-day returns has changed this a bit. But yes, I'm not sure if I will like the noise and the non gaming mertits of the Blues. So I tend to discount them. But I was just thinking how cool my old Matlias Tactile Pro KB was just now... and I never had the pleasure of Blues yet. Somehow I think I'll end up with all three now. Still zero interest in blacks or even clears though. The idea of a hard switch turns me off. There is a joke in there somewhere right? lol.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 May 2011, 12:02:33 by NeoDiNardo »

Offline NeoDiNardo

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 13:08:35 »
Honestly, don't expect me to make perfect sense, it's too much presure and I go back and forth far too often ;)

Offline brkim1324

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 19:32:32 »
Honestly, don't expect me to make perfect sense, it's too much presure and I go back and forth far too often ;)

haha I know exactly  how you feel right now. Just try out all the boards if you can! But as others stated, there's really no best board. It's just your preference.
Unfortunately, I don't have my best board yet either. They are just.. different from another. My fingers just differ from situation to another.
I'd recommend to get blue for your 2nd board! Brown and Red just don't have big audio feedback, although they feel different in typing.
Blue will be very different experience than when you are typing Red.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 May 2011, 19:38:45 by brkim1324 »

Offline NeoDiNardo

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 07 May 2011, 16:27:34 »
thanks for the help everyone, will post red eval! ... whenever super saver shipping finally ships that is...

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 09 May 2011, 22:10:45 »
I have all 4 switches and brown is my favorite then red, black and blue. All are Filcos except for black Thermaltake Meka G1. Brown and red feels almost the same for me. For black I have to press a little harder. Blue 50g bumps always messing me up for some reasons. I've been thinking about putting it up for sale but I like the clicky sounds it makes.
Keyboardless

Offline godofdeath

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 09 May 2011, 22:54:06 »
Quote from: mmmty;344165
I have all 4 switches and brown is my favorite then red, black and blue. All are Filcos except for black Thermaltake Meka G1. Brown and red feels almost the same for me. For black I have to press a little harder. Blue 50g bumps always messing me up for some reasons. I've been thinking about putting it up for sale but I like the clicky sounds it makes.

ooo are they full or tenkeyless

Offline kektr0city

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 09 May 2011, 22:55:53 »
i bought a leo brown as my first mech.  shortly after i made the order through EK, the red majestouch-2's went on sale through keyboardco on amazon.  i was sorely tempted to pick one up for the "limited edition" feel as well as having a linear switch.  i didn't want to get the blacks because i had previously tried one out at bestbuy and figured they were too heavy of a switch, but i did like the linear feel.  i ended up picking up a filco linear-r last week when keyboardco restocked, and, i must say, i LOVE the reds.  the light linear feel is definitely exactly what i wanted in a mechanical keyboard.  i don't really feel that they're boring compared to browns, just different.  i definitely like the linear switch over the tactile switch, and this weight of spring is definitely to my liking.  cloud of boobs... well... just check my avatar.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 09 May 2011, 23:01:17 »
Quote from: godofdeath;344181
ooo are they full or tenkeyless
All full keyboards. I can do 10-key so I like to have full size keyboards. The only tenkeyless I have is a Realforce 87U.
Keyboardless

Offline godofdeath

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 09 May 2011, 23:04:06 »
Quote from: mmmty;344185
All full keyboards. I can do 10-key so I like to have full size keyboards. The only tenkeyless I have is a Realforce 87U.

sell ur blues lol

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 09 May 2011, 23:12:00 »
Maybe... :rolleyes: If they ever make brown switches that are clicky like blues, that would be the perfect keyboard for me.
Keyboardless

Offline NeoDiNardo

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 11:53:55 »
Got the reds, felt up my cloud of boobs. Oh yea, we are going to 2nd base every night man! Its a keeper. Mine from amazon was the limited edition, but since the red keycaps extras stand up higher, I hate em! So sticking to the normal colored keycaps. I still have the purple ones somewhere too... And a red escape key. Now all I need are some ninja keycaps and a Filco 2 number pad , I hope they make it, and I might get those flat blank windows keycaps too.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 May 2011, 11:57:50 by NeoDiNardo »

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 11:55:49 »
congrats on the new board!
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline SecrtAgentMan

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 12:28:30 »
Quote from: NeoDiNardo;344471
Got the reds, felt up my cloud of boobs. Oh yea, we are going to 2nd base every night man! Its a keeper. Mine from amazon was the limited edition, but since the red keycaps extras stand up higher, I hate em! So sticking to the normal colored keycaps. I still have the purple ones somewhere too... And a red escape key. Now all I need are some ninja keycaps and a Filco 2 number pad , I hope they make it, and I might get those flat blank windows keycaps too.

They stand up higher?

Shoot I wanted to use red WASD :/

Offline Chobopants

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 15:09:57 »
Quote from: SecrtAgentMan;344491
They stand up higher?

Shoot I wanted to use red WASD :/

Um, the ones that came with my Linear R don't...push down harder.

Offline SecrtAgentMan

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 15:30:54 »
Is stuck now, what do?

Offline Chobopants

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 16:01:48 »
Quote from: SecrtAgentMan;344571
Is stuck now, what do?

O_O

I'm very confused, were they molded poorly or something? Mine go on/off just like all the other keys. Nice and smooth. Requires a tad more force but thats it. You can't wiggle it off with the keypuller?

Offline SecrtAgentMan

Red VS Brown Filco Help
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 18:07:10 »
Quote from: Chobopants;344585
O_O

I'm very confused, were they molded poorly or something? Mine go on/off just like all the other keys. Nice and smooth. Requires a tad more force but thats it. You can't wiggle it off with the keypuller?

Oh no I was just kidding around haha