Author Topic: Terrible Amazon Packaging on your Filcos  (Read 6562 times)

Offline TheShining

Terrible Amazon Packaging on your Filcos
« on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 10:32:53 »
I recently got my Ninja Black and I am anticipating buying another tkl brown Filco with your next US shipment.

The thing that caught my attention was that Amazon used only 1 measly, deflated large bubble wrap and the actual keyboard box was sliding around everywhere inside it, like they could care less.

It wasn't that much of a surprise then that all the big keys (except spacebar) were mostly popped off and I had to re-seat them.

Might wan't to get on them about this, more bubble wrap please(maybe I should tell Amazon instead).

Just wanted to bring it to your attention, because ek.com packages keyboards like they are made out of glass. Maybe I should order directly from you?

Thanks!

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 11:07:23 »
better than mine. i dont even get bubble wrap, just the keyboard in the box
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline ~Blood~

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 11:55:35 »
got my realforce just in the box too, but from keyboardco directly. took no damage though, so i didnt complain

Offline TheShining

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 11:58:32 »
It's not that big of a deal, but it was jarring because it was my first Filco, and in addition to the stabilized keys being all janky and popped off the stem, I had to straight edge the whole thing and tweak a lot of the small keys.

The Leopold was presented far better.

Offline mikeruth

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 15:00:26 »
I got a package from Amazon yesterday in a box about 24 inches long with small items and one large item.  The box had one piece of tape holding the two top flaps together.  The box looked like it had been sat on and of course the tape was pulled off of one flap.  It is a great wonder that none of the small items fell out of the large space between the flaps.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 August 2011, 15:05:06 by mikeruth »
Mike R.

Offline Armando Penblade

• http://thegeekery.org
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 23:37:36 »
When I got my Filco from these guys (which, admittedly, was a good while ago), I had a giant box with a single ~6 foot long piece of packing paper crumbled up into a small "L" shape. The Filco box was just sliding around about 2 feet of spare room, but other than some almost unnoticeable blemishes on the front of the casing, it's fine. Huzzah Amazon :(
Filco Majestouch 104-US, Metallic Blue, with Chery MX Blues  //  Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000, 104-US + Media Keys & Browser Controls  //  iRocks RF-6570 Cordless 104-US, 2.4GHz Wireless, White  //  SteelSeries 6Gv2 104-US, Black, with Cherry MX Blacks

Offline Bruce

• http://www.keyboardco.com
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 06 September 2011, 09:53:04 »
Thanks for the feedback.
It is a constant issue with Amazon. Sometimes they do pack very well and often they don't. Our goods actually come out of more than one of their warehouses and it seems different warehouses have different standards. And we do struggle to affect it.
I always think of taking delivery as the 'Christmas' moment and I know packaging makes a difference. From here we send all Topre and Filco in an outer box we have made. It is not all that special but it is a further cardboard box around all the original package and weems to work well.
We will keep working on it.

Offline duncan

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 14:08:00 »
Just wanted to support what Bruce said about the 'direct from kbco' packaging.

I have gotten keyboards and various bits and pieces shipped from kbco in the UK to Oz and they have always been well packed and all the stuff well secured and damage and blemish free despite obvious attempts by the postal service elephant to throw the parcels through a smashing machine all the contents (including the original consumer boxes were in great shape).

I don't know what the difference in price is between getting stuff from Amazon and getting it shipped direct but if you care about the packing it's worth checking to see if the direct approach might be better value overall. kbco care - it seems a fair proportion of Amazon staff don't.

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 14:31:56 »
Same here. My Ninja arrived concealed in a box slightly bigger than the Majestouch box on Thursday morning. I considered it well packaged. Not a single mark on the box. I opted UKMail tbh I was hesitant to use Royal Mail. [direct from keyboardco to the UK]
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 17:30:06 »
@Bruce - would it be possible to ask Amazon to stick a fragile sticker on the packages? Maybe it'd at least give folks more peace of mind regarding how the packages are handled?

Offline Bruce

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 14:23:50 »
Hi KL.
I will do that. It's a good idea, but it does remain to be seen if they will do it.
Amazon do have complete control over things like that.

In the UK we have a box specially made in tougher cardboard that acts as an outer and fits snug so no extra bubble or padding is needed.
They work pretty well but the horrible truth is that every now and again something gets mullered. Well packed or not.
We had a Filco pretty well chopped in half recently. I think they had driven over it.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 15:40:16 »
Bollocks!

Offline ambroise

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 20:14:28 »
My filco also arrived damaged (the box, not the keyboard).

They basically placed the filco box in a much larger box.

One corner of the filco box was all bent. :rant:

Sometimes it really bothers me for things like books and I send the item back other times I don't really care.
It would be nice though to always receive what you ordered intact.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 September 2011, 20:17:51 by ambroise »

Offline qtan5370

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 17:08:25 »
Well, I don't know Fulfillment including packing the item, what they said was we have to pack it in "ready to go package", that's what stop me using Amazon...
Look for Keyboard? Check my offers. I have most major keyboard and some caps for you, if you don\'t see it there, ask me. I am Top rated seller on eBay now, and have retail store in China selling keyboard and other gaming staffs.

My eBay store http://stores.ebay.com/E-sports-Gaming-equipments?_rdc=1

My store(lower price than eBay): http://www.keyboardwow.com

Offline robscomputer

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 02 October 2011, 09:17:10 »
I recently ordered my Filco from Amazon as well. Came in decently packaged but I did noticed one corner of the box was slightly dented, keyboard was ok and not other damage.

If anyone doesn't know, you can submit a review of your received box to Amazon to tell them just how the box was packaged. There's a link printed on the side of the Amazon box.

Offline andrewpsy

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 03 October 2011, 22:14:25 »
Agree.
Not only packaging is bad they actually shipped me a used Ninja Black TKL.
No key puller, no flat Windows keys, and friction pads were dirty.
Returned it today and reordered a new one. Currently waiting.
Filco Ninja 104 | HHKB Pro 2 Blank | Filco Ninja 87 | Filco Ninja 104 | HHKB pro 2 Blank Type-S

Offline Bruce

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 15:17:03 »
There's enough here to indicate a problem that needs looking into.
We will investigate what can be done to improve packaging. QT is correct in that it is a particular issue with Amazon and could be called systemic as they take in other people's goods but not their packaging. That said, they do sometimes pack things very well so I wouldn't say it was impossible.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 07:10:12 »
We have been looking into this and it is not that they refuse to pack properly it is just that they have their way of doing it and cannot easily accomodate 'special' arrangements. We would prefer a special arrangement so that we knew our goods were well packed. The problem they come up against most is the filling in an oversize box, we have reminded them that these are heavy keyboards and that the filling needs to be more robust. They seem to think they can do that - so we will have to see.

Offline enoy21

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 07:16:13 »
Quote from: ripster;427999
My packaging was fine.  I got my wife the latest Barbara Streisand double CD and that on top of the box and the air bubble things kept the keyboard from shuffling about.

Plus it made my wife happy.

(Attachment Link) 28270[/ATTACH]

For the Wife... Rrriiiiiiiiiiiight...    Streisand fetish much Dude ?

As to the packaging , I hope they can get that resolved , there is nothing like the  suspense and disappointment of seeing a damaged box and wondering how damaged the product may be on the inside ( even if it looks ok ).
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline Bruce

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 12:48:23 »
Quote from: enoy21;428229
For the Wife... Rrriiiiiiiiiiiight...    Streisand fetish much Dude ?

As to the packaging , I hope they can get that resolved , there is nothing like the  suspense and disappointment of seeing a damaged box and wondering how damaged the product may be on the inside ( even if it looks ok ).

Maybe adding a CD to your order is a good way to ensure better packaging.
I completely understand the disappointment. I think receiving a parcel is a mini christmas moment that should not be undermined.

Offline enoy21

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 07:36:26 »
Damn Websense I can't see youtube

I hope this has been corrected by now.    I ordered a Brown TKL Ninja last night from Amazon that should arrive on Friday. I plan to try and get pictures of the packaging for my  " noob review "

That is , if I can wait until I get home to actually open it.    I likely will be wanting to try it here at work because I'm a kid like that.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 October 2011, 10:18:46 by enoy21 »
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline enoy21

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 11:01:25 »
I don't mind a slightly dented corner of an exterior box and an interior being in prime shape.    But it's a bit disheartening and fear inducing to get a package and "know for a fact" it was mishandled in shipping.  ( Rather than just know from experience or cinicism )

Just makes me nervous about the internals of whatever I bought.   I work in Networks and get alot of PC shipments from our stores. A screwed up box makes me cringe because I know our stores can't grasp the secure packaging concept and I will find a PC with 4 Pieces floating around in the box; likely with some broken casings.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline enoy21

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 08:55:09 »
I just got my package and the box looks great.
Opening it up they have two rows of the medium "Fill-Air" on top of the actual keyboard.
Threw me off a little seeing how short it is. I am so used to seeing boxes for 104 keys.    

I wish I had my camera with me , I may have to recreate this event base on actual experience later.

Thanks for the PACKAGE !!!
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 October 2011, 08:57:17 by enoy21 »
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline enoy21

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 10:27:07 »
One Question I had. Was the box front supposed to say Majestouch-2 ? Or just Majestouch ?    The front of the box only says Majestouch.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline enoy21

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 10:32:14 »
Mine has that label with : FKBN87M/EFB2  

Is this a one or a two ? On the Diatec site it looks like it's a 1 , although Amazon listing was a 2.  

http://www.diatec.co.jp/en/det.php?prod_c=775

Is the 2 at the end the key here ?   Iw as thinking the blue boards were the single layer PCB and the Greens were the Dual ? But maybe I had that reversed as the Diatec site does say Dual beside the picture.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 October 2011, 10:36:20 by enoy21 »
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline Kanahmal

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 00:17:08 »
The one on the Diatec site is a Majestouch 2 as well. One of the 'upgrades' from the first Majestouch is the 'double layer board' that they talk about half way down the page you linked.

Offline Kanahmal

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 00:57:02 »
By the way, the MJ2 I got from Amazon showed up in good condition with all the plastic balloons inflated, I didn't really note the condition of the box as that was about the least of what I was interested in regarding the delivery. The board itself is in excellent condition and only required a very slight torque to get the pads on the bottom to sit flush.

As for the box problem could you guys maybe put more packaging on them on your end? Maybe put them in a slightly smaller box than the Amazon box (triple packaged ftw!) or maybe wrap them in a couple layers of bubble wrap on their way out(with maybe an identifier sticker on the outside)? Or does Amazon have to examine them up close before they ship out?

Offline Bruce

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 01 November 2011, 15:07:14 »
Hi Kanahmal.

Thanks. It's good to know they get it right sometimes.
Amazon do say they should be sent into them packaged suitably for them to send out as you describe but there are some issues with that - mainly that it would add significantly to size and therefore inward freight cost.