Author Topic: HHKB Click sound issue  (Read 8265 times)

Offline BrokenGame

HHKB Click sound issue
« on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 06:16:58 »
Hi,

About two weeks ago, I bought a new HHKB from Elitekeyboards. Everything seemed to be perfect but this week I've started to hear some Click sound on some of the keys; like a spring sound. To solve the problem, I've thought about lubing the plungers or the springs. (That guy had the same problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW8QIE6OK0Q and solve this by lubing the springs, just want to be sure before doing so)

Did it happen to anyone else? How did you solve it?

Thank you

Offline jabar

Re: HHKB Click sound issue
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 07:06:19 »
Before you rip apart your $250+ keyboard, how about email Brian at EK and ask what's up with your keyboard?

If you do lube your springs and screw up, the warranty sticker will be broken and EK won't do anything for you.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline BrokenGame

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 11:32:58 »
Before you rip apart your $250+ keyboard, how about email Brian at EK and ask what's up with your keyboard?

If you do lube your springs and screw up, the warranty sticker will be broken and EK won't do anything for you.

Yea, I already did and he answered me I didn't have to lube the springs and it was fairly common, but it is kind of annoying and I want to know if someone has successfully repaired it (whatever the method he used) and how he did it, just to explore my options :).

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 12:29:33 »
I can explain! The spring gets stuck to the membrane, and the click sound comes from the spring becoming unstuck and hitting the PCB when you lift off the key.
Lube to eliminate the stickiness between membrane and spring would fix it. I've also had the stickiness just go away over time.

Photo and diagram by me :)

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 13:28:01 »
I can explain! The spring gets stuck to the membrane, and the click sound comes from the spring becoming unstuck and hitting the PCB when you lift off the key.
Lube to eliminate the stickiness between membrane and spring would fix it. I've also had the stickiness just go away over time.

Show Image

Show Image

Always wondered whats causing this effect...
Thanks for that thesis/info, makes perfectly sense!

Offline BrokenGame

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 13:55:34 »

Your theory makes perfect sense since I hear the sound when I release the key. Also, I recieved an e-mail from Brian, and he confirmed your theory and said it would loosen up over time and didn't recommend lube, so I guess I'll wait.. Anyway, Thanks for the info.

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 14:20:18 »

Show Image

Show Image

Thanks a lot for this detail explanation.
 :thumb:
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 15:15:27 »
Don't worry, this goes away. Happened on every Topre board I've owned. The sounds dissipates after a few weeks.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 17:30:55 »
Fantastic pictures - although my HHKB has not experienced this particular problem.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 14:00:27 »
Sorry for the necro, but I just received a new HHKB that has this extra sound after the release of the key. The keys make a little ticking sound right after you bottom out and start releasing the key back up. For some of the keys, depressing it from a certain angle only makes the sound. It affects quite a few keys on this board. I emailed EK to see what they have to say, but of course with the cost of these it's hard not to be a little paranoid. The sound should go away after a bit? Unfortunately, some of the keys with the problem aren't used often ("\", for instance). Does sitting here and "working" the switch repeatedly help at all? I'm only concerned about this because I've owned two other Topre boards and didn't have this problem on either board. Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 February 2014, 14:50:09 by reziak »

HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline daetsid

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 14:07:40 »
you guys pay $250 for a pinggy keyboard? lol

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 14:12:54 »

Lets not start another argument on the price of these keyboards, pls.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 February 2014, 14:38:12 by Air tree »

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 14:15:58 »
Sorry for the necro, but I just received a new HHKB that has this extra sound after the release of the key. The keys make a little ticking sound right after you bottom out and start releasing the key back up. It affects 4-5 keys on here. I emailed EK to see what they have to say, but of course with the cost of these it's hard not to be a little paranoid. The sound should go away after a bit? Unfortunately, some of the keys with the problem aren't used often ("\", for instance). Does sitting here and "working" the switch repeatedly help at all? I've owned two other Topre boards and didn't have this problem on either board. Thanks guys!

Don't quite know what else to tell you, the solution to your problem is already answered in this thread.

Since some of the keys are low-traffic keys, increase use of those keys temporarily until the clicks go away (spam the keys until the clicking stops). That's all I can suggest to you...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 14:16:16 »

You're beating a dead horse, dude!

HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline daetsid

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 14:47:41 »

Well I "beat" a brand new battleship from the 80's...and it doesn't ping  :thumb:

Offline avtar

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 15:48:57 »

Well I "beat" a brand new battleship from the 80's...and it doesn't ping  :thumb:

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 00:01:41 »
You know what, I totally forgot my HHKB made a Spring noise but it hasnt since I lubed my slider housings.  :thumb: