Author Topic: Kishsaver Club  (Read 342766 times)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Re: Kishsaver Club
« Reply #200 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 11:02:18 »
I hate phone keyboards, my last post is barely readable.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #201 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 11:04:42 »
My 6019284 isn't going anywhere. Staying with me for a long long time :D.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #202 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 11:19:38 »

What if someone offered you one meeeelion dollars for it? Just kidding. If I had one I would keep it too.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #203 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 11:20:26 »

What if someone offered you one meeeelion dollars for it? Just kidding. If I had one I would keep it too.

Then I'd take that one million dollars, buy another 6019284, and pocket the remaining money. Then I'd be rich and still have my keyboard :D

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #204 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 11:28:39 »
Good point! But technically you'd then have someone else's keyboard... And what if it wasn't as good as the original? You'd only have $999,800 or so to console yourself with.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #205 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 11:34:19 »
Good point! But technically you'd then have someone else's keyboard... And what if it wasn't as good as the original? You'd only have $999,800 or so to console yourself with.

LOL

I love it when people say that something isn't for sale. It just means they haven't been offered the right price. Basically, everything is for sale, it's just a matter of finding an amount that is so ridiculously attractive to the owner that they are finally willing to part with their precious item.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #206 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 11:37:21 »
I love it when people say that something isn't for sale. It just means they haven't been offered the right price. Basically, everything is for sale, it's just a matter of finding an amount that is so ridiculously attractive to the owner that they are finally willing to part with their precious item.

You can't buy me keyboard man!

More

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #207 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 12:11:34 »
You stick by your guns, cpt! They can have your kishsaver when they pry it from underneath your cold, dead fingers!

Offline Monster-Toys

« Reply #208 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 14:25:39 »
They can have your kishsaver when they pry it from underneath your cold, dead fingers!

LET HIM HAVE IT!  >:D  ;D

Offline wcass

« Reply #209 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 20:06:14 »
I would love to offer a restoration/customization service; like an Orange County Choppers  for keyboards.

Actually that sounds like it would be a good forum channel here ... "Project of the Month".

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #210 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 01:18:15 »
Too late for me :(

But I'm in India, so shipping would have killed it anyways.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #211 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 08:03:59 »
Just wanted to say that I got wcass' wire adapter for the spacebar yesterday. Now I can use my Model M set on the 6019284! Works great and the wire fits perfectly. Thanks again wcass. :D

« Last Edit: Tue, 01 April 2014, 17:39:40 by CPTBadAss »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 04:29:25 »
Just wanted to say that I got wcass' wire adapter for the spacebar yesterday. Now I can use my Model M set on the 6019284! Works great and the wire fits perfectly. Thanks again wcass. :D

Show Image

Show Image

That is extremely neatly done!  Impressed!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline josh

• Since 2011
« Reply #213 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 19:26:05 »
nice pics here
OTD 356CL Gunmetal | OTD 356CL Black | OTD 356CL DGE | OTD 356 Mini Military Green | OTD 356 Pad | TGR Jane V2 Blue Grey | TGR Jane V2 Pink | TGR Jane V2 ce E-White | TGR Alice Prototype 1.0 | TGR Alice Pink Silver Two Tone | TGR Alice Polycarbonate | TGR 910 RE Red | TGR 910 ce Silver | TGR x GAF 910 Black | TGR x GAF 910 Purple | Noxary Vulcan Pro Silver | Noxary Evija HG | Keycult No.2/65 Unfinished Red | Realforce 101 | Realforce 10 Year Anniversary | Realforce 23U | HHKB Professional White | HHKB Professional Charcoal | HHKB Snow 25th Anniversary Japan Edition

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #214 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 22:30:25 »
Soon.

Offline wcass

« Reply #215 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 15:39:24 »
I just started a thread in Marketplace > Interest Check that is specific to this crowd, so I thought i should cross link it to make sure you all see it. If you are interested, please post in that thread.

Short story - new rubber feet. I'm getting info on costs now.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58437.msg1334238#msg1334238

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #216 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 20:35:53 »
Finally got around to using some paint remover on the kish. It is still a bit messy, I still need to sand some trouble spots, then clean it up. I also sprayed for the template to make another rubbermat since the original foam was a mess. I still have to sand the plate down as well.

Faces blocked out for privacy of course... ^-^

Offline wcass

« Reply #217 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 21:57:35 »
How i make replacement foam ...
  • print out the attached template at 100% on legal paper (just a few cents at the office supply store).
  • check measurements are accurate. if too small/big, adjust scale and re-print.
  • stick thin double-sided tape on the back - just outside the boarder.
  • unroll new foam material on top so that it sticks to the tape.
  • use dies/mallet to punch out the holes.
  • use a razor to cut the slots.
  • use scissors to cut the boarder.
For foam material i use 1/16 neoprene from McMaster. It compresses easily to .5mm and is cheap.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#8647k102/=s0yd5e

I got my die set from HF. They go on sale from time-to-time.
http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-hollow-punch-set-3838.html

Some folks punch a single big hole that goes around the notch. I prefer to make two punches. Ether way will work. My template for the KS is below. TBH, i have not used this specific template myself (my foam was in like-new condition) so double check the positions. I have templates for the AT and 122 also; PM me if you need one.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #218 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 23:24:24 »
How i make replacement foam ...
  • print out the attached template at 100% on legal paper (just a few cents at the office supply store).
  • check measurements are accurate. if too small/big, adjust scale and re-print.
  • stick thin double-sided tape on the back - just outside the boarder.
  • unroll new foam material on top so that it sticks to the tape.
  • use dies/mallet to punch out the holes.
  • use a razor to cut the slots.
  • use scissors to cut the boarder.
For foam material i use 1/16 neoprene from McMaster. It compresses easily to .5mm and is cheap.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#8647k102/=s0yd5e

I got my die set from HF. They go on sale from time-to-time.
http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-hollow-punch-set-3838.html

Some folks punch a single big hole that goes around the notch. I prefer to make two punches. Ether way will work. My template for the KS is below. TBH, i have not used this specific template myself (my foam was in like-new condition) so double check the positions. I have templates for the AT and 122 also; PM me if you need one.

I've done it a few times with my ATs and 122. I do most of what you said except the template, I just spray like that then punch the holes out where it is painted. This will be a lot easier, it is just so small!

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #219 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 07:35:53 »
it was already posted somewhere, but I forgot where... so what I kind of metal is the kishsaver made of?

thanks

Offline Monster-Toys

« Reply #220 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 14:33:32 »
Maybe the case is a Zinc-Aluminum blend (Zamak) but it is a unconfirmed rumor^^.

BtW... i am still searching for a kishsaver connector (that plastic-chunk at the end of the cable) ... somebody wants to get rid of it now that a controllerboard is in reach?

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #221 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 07:48:12 »
Maybe the case is a Zinc-Aluminum blend (Zamak) but it is a unconfirmed rumor^^.

BtW... i am still searching for a kishsaver connector (that plastic-chunk at the end of the cable) ... somebody wants to get rid of it now that a controllerboard is in reach?

I probably will offload my connector once I get the controller.  I have not use for it when the controller arrives.  Actually, I have no use for it now.  I am sure that a more dedicated collector with appreciated it more than me.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #222 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 11:53:06 »
OK kids. I got a hold of the powdercoater who did the Panavises to look at powdercoating the 6019284s. Does anyone want to powdercoat their board? What color? I'm thinking industrial grey or charcoal grey. And of course purple. But if we're going to GB it, I'll have to compromise.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/Ż
    • Mashby
« Reply #223 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 12:22:45 »
OK kids. I got a hold of the powdercoater who did the Panavises to look at powdercoating the 6019284s. Does anyone want to powdercoat their board? What color? I'm thinking industrial grey or charcoal grey. And of course purple. But if we're going to GB it, I'll have to compromise.

I would be interested in getting mine painted. Might even go for purple.  :cool:

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #224 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 12:58:42 »
Powdercoating sounds cool! Would we all have to settle on one color to do a group buy? I know it's probably boring, but I'm partial to the stock beige, and if my Kishsaver could look as good or better than new, that would be awesome.

Any idea what it would cost?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 13:00:29 »
I don't know the cost at the moment. I was told a 60% board cost $75 by itself. And my panavise was $30-50. This is a GB in the most literal sense so if we have more people in, then the price goes down. I think we'll have to settle on a color but I can ask. If we can't agree on a color or there's no interest, then no powdercoating from me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 June 2014, 13:02:58 by CPTBadAss »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #226 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 13:36:05 »
I'm in if we do them in jdcarpurple. They should have the powder mkawa sent them.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #227 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 13:38:45 »
* CPTBadAss head explodes

I forgot that was an option. OMG. One way or another, I'm getting that color for my board.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 June 2014, 13:42:42 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #228 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 15:04:20 »
That price may be a bit high for me, but I love the idea. I look forward to seeing one in purple!

Offline Parak

« Reply #229 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 15:27:19 »
Do they sandblast it first or something? My own inclination would be some gray color from the RAL 7000 series, like RAL 7011 or 7024 in matte. Depending on the price I'd be down for it. Would be even better if they could do the same with the top plate, though that's easier to DIY and questionable to give away for sandblasting due to plastic stabilizers...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #230 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 15:28:17 »
I'll have to see. I don't really know. I was just seeing if there was any interest in me going through the effort of trying to setup a GB.

Edit: The powdercoater can do either solvent bath or sandblasting to remove the paint before powdercoating a new color on. I need to find out how it would work if I run a GB. I'm pretty sure, based on my panavise experience, that it needs to be one color for everyone.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 June 2014, 15:59:11 by CPTBadAss »

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #231 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 16:30:02 »
I am just going to stick to stock for when I powdercoat it. I am going to take it in, tell them to strip it down and put back the same exact color and texture if they can.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #232 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 18:18:17 »

I'd go for grey for sure.

EDIT: nevermind, going to sandblast it (and the beamspring) tomorrow then clearcoat. I'm still interested, but pending sandblasting result.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 June 2014, 22:49:05 by dorkvader »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #233 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 18:35:54 »
My vote is for charcoal, but I'd be in for industrial grey as well.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #234 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 18:37:48 »
I think I'm going to have to back out of running this GB for now. I have my heart set on jdcarpurple and I'm not sure anyone else wants that. I can still ask how a GB will run and get details but I'm not longer interested in greys. I'm pretty sure we all need to agree on a color for a GB in powdercoating though.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #235 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 01:08:15 »
Can we get a link or explanation on what jdcarpurple is? I have no idea what you guys are talking about.   :confused:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #236 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 08:58:01 »
Can we get a link or explanation on what jdcarpurple is? I have no idea what you guys are talking about.   :confused:

Jdcarpe had his...Poker (I think?) powdercoated in this lovely glittery purple color. I've wanted it for a long time but accidently forgot about it until now. He calls it "jdcarpurple".

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/Ż
    • Mashby
« Reply #237 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 12:30:10 »
I want JDPurple, so you're not alone bro.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #238 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 23:36:52 »

Jdcarpe had his...Poker (I think?) powdercoated in this lovely glittery purple color. I've wanted it for a long time but accidently forgot about it until now. He calls it "jdcarpurple".

Howwwwwwww did I miss this...    It's lovely...    :'(

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #239 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 10:32:34 »
So I got around to stripping the paint off my Kishsaver, sanding it down, and spraying on a clearcoat.  I probably will keep this bare metal look, even with some of deep scratches from the paint chipper and wire brush that I did not bother to remove.  It will match all my kitchen appliances:

67410-067412-1
67414-2
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 June 2014, 10:34:06 by prdlm2009 »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #240 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 10:35:32 »
So I got around to stripping the paint off my Kishsaver, sanding it down, and spraying on a clearcoat.  I probably will keep this bare metal look, even with some of deep scratches from the paint chipper and wire brush that I did not bother to remove.  It will match all my kitchen appliances:

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

I love that look, scratches and all.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #241 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 10:52:56 »

(Attachment Link)

I love that look, scratches and all.

Thanks.  I should clarify that part of the reason I did this is because my spray-painting skills suck and this was sort of a risk-free option.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #242 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 20:50:33 »

(Attachment Link)

Looking good, I'm doing the same thing. But I'm going to try to sand it in one direction to get that brushed metal look.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #243 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 20:55:18 »
Looking good prdlm2009 :D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #244 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 21:03:13 »

(Attachment Link)

Damn, now that is attractive.  (All of the paint jobs shown so far are, for that matter.  I think it's hard to make this keyboard look bad.)

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #245 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 09:53:10 »

(Attachment Link)

Looking good, I'm doing the same thing. But I'm going to try to sand it in one direction to get that brushed metal look.

I had some difficulty with sanding in one direction on the thinner sides on the top part of the case, but I think that is a reflection of my poor sanding skills.   I think the biggest thing to be careful of is not gouging the metal with the paint chipper.  I was a little aggressive with removing the paint.

Offline wcass

« Reply #246 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 17:55:12 »
I got a package from Shapeways today. These are all "strong flexible" - aka "the cheap stuff" at only $1.40 per cc. I'm not overly impressed with the texture (which feels like fine-grain sandpaper). The dimensional accuracy seems to be about 0.25mm which is pretty good for a larger object, but not great for something that is supposed to be 1.5mm turns out to be 1.70mm. This is the reason why 3D printing is not ready for barrels and flippies.

A mold for feet. You can see how rough the texture is here. I plan to use automobile wax as a surface smother and mold release agent.
67771-0

And plastic spacers. I'm going to keep them installed for a while and will give you all notice when/if I notice that they break.
67773-1

Thanks again to Monster-Toys for the 3D models.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #247 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 18:30:16 »
Oh man...I'm so glad someone figured out that those spacers are fragile as all hell. Mine are being held together with tape.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #248 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 18:50:23 »
I gave up on the spacers.  The case is still tight without them and I have not noticed any problems.  I think they mainly serve to line up the keyboard assembly with the case when you screw them together, but it seems the keyboard will be fine without them.  The assembled keyboard is still tight and sturdy during use without the spacers.

If the feet require a higher quality, higher priced alternative, I am not opposed to paying the higher costs, whatever they may be.

« Last Edit: Fri, 13 June 2014, 09:18:22 by prdlm2009 »

Offline Monster-Toys

« Reply #249 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 19:18:46 »
No need to thank me. I got so much help und stuff from the GH and DT communities and i am very happy that i can give at least a very very small amount back! :)