Author Topic: [GB] Evergreen DSA PBT dyesubs 27 days left  (Read 26417 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
[GB] Evergreen DSA PBT dyesubs 27 days left
« on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 07:43:45 »
http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/evergreen/

Moderator note, this is not my Group Buy. I have no idea why I can't find it in the IC, in this GB section, or under SP's own vendor thread. As a GB will probably fail without publicity, urge you to put this post where people can see it.

General note: I intend to support this GB. It offers many people who need specific sets for their custom layouts.

As I am not sure about what to buy (especially with so many different child deals that are very layout specific eg Atomic), I will probably support the main set by buying 3 sets, then buy a pile of blanks. Probably I will support the ergodox by buying 2 sets, because that will bring prices down from $44 to $28.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline berserkfan

Re: [GB] Evergreen DSA PBT dyesubs 27 days left
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 01:03:11 »
I don't know who is the guy who organized this evergreen GB, but it seems it's doomed to fail. I can't afford to buy more than a few sets and there is too little interest/ effort on the part of the organizer to promote.

PBT DSA dyesubs are normally quite attractive so it's a big pity. Font's nice too.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 02:48:37 »
The problem with this, like almost every other keyset group buy lately, is that it's DSA. I'm sick of all these DSA keysets and I don't like DSA at all. Not a fan of SA either, maybe stepped SA, but any mono-profile kind like the constant all-row-3 SAs, get out.

It does help my wallet though. No temptation to buy sets in profiles I dislike.

They're attractive keys, don't get me wrong. But everything is DSA, DSA, more DSA, or Row 3 SA. Nope.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 12:08:18 »
Weird, everything lately I've seen is DCS or SA, especially SA.  There is so much DSA hate lately and a massive SA circlejerk.  The one plus of DSA is you can support more layouts for a lower cost since it's a uniform profile.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 13:10:53 »
Weird, everything lately I've seen is DCS or SA, especially SA.  There is so much DSA hate lately and a massive SA circlejerk.  The one plus of DSA is you can support more layouts for a lower cost since it's a uniform profile.

Quite frankly that's a major consideration on my part too. I use custom layouts so don't like to use profiled keycaps. And with the rise of custom keyboards and layouts, I think this will become increasingly important so I wanted to support this GB. But now that I realize there isn't any interest, I've lost interest too.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 13:26:11 »
The main issue with DSA is how small is the typing area of those spherical keys, if you compare it with GMK for example, the last feels huge in comparison.

I love the look though, I currently have a full Granite and the original Skull by Matt3o. But I cannot use them, I type at slower rate with any DSA than with GMK's so I always get back to GMKs.

I want to give SA sculpted a try, so other GBs at PMK with SA offers may interest me.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 14:42:48 »
The main issue with DSA is how small is the typing area of those spherical keys, if you compare it with GMK for example, the last feels huge in comparison.

I love the look though, I currently have a full Granite and the original Skull by Matt3o. But I cannot use them, I type at slower rate with any DSA than with GMK's so I always get back to GMKs.

I want to give SA sculpted a try, so other GBs at PMK with SA offers may interest me.

Do you have big fingers?

One of the things that affect ergonomics most is different human biologies.

I have always felt that when lots of people are 1.4 meters and 40kg and wear US size 7 shoes, and lots of people are 1.9 meters and 120kg and wear US size 13 shoes, you simply should not have the same keyboards for them.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 16:37:09 »

Do you have big fingers?

One of the things that affect ergonomics most is different human biologies.

I have always felt that when lots of people are 1.4 meters and 40kg and wear US size 7 shoes, and lots of people are 1.9 meters and 120kg and wear US size 13 shoes, you simply should not have the same keyboards for them.

LOL. Not big, neither fat fingers here. But 1.4m tall? only if they were kids.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 19:20:47 »
I don't understand how a group buy can be proposed with a www.keyboard-layout-editor.com screen grap instead of real mockups using the actual fonts and artwork. This is dye-sublimated, so you can't just assume it's SP's stock double-shot font.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 19:52:22 »
I don't understand how a group buy can be proposed with a www.keyboard-layout-editor.com screen grap instead of real mockups using the actual fonts and artwork. This is dye-sublimated, so you can't just assume it's SP's stock double-shot font.

Lazytown...?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 19:56:45 »

Believe it or not, but not everyone is a graphic designer or has access to the tools to do a "proper" mock-up.  People can only do as much as the tools they have available to them allow.

And since when did this BS start that a group buy has to have fancy flashy renders?  It used to be a mockup with the file SP provides or a screen grab of keyboard-layout-editor and pics of the color chips was enough to get people to buy it.  Honestly, some of my favorite GBs are the ones with the ****tiest mock-ups and some of the worst I've seen have the best mock-ups and people usually ***** because the finished products looks nothing like the fancy mock-up.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 20:22:07 »

Believe it or not, but not everyone is a graphic designer or has access to the tools to do a "proper" mock-up.  People can only do as much as the tools they have available to them allow.

And since when did this BS start that a group buy has to have fancy flashy renders?  It used to be a mockup with the file SP provides or a screen grab of keyboard-layout-editor and pics of the color chips was enough to get people to buy it.  Honestly, some of my favorite GBs are the ones with the ****tiest mock-ups and some of the worst I've seen have the best mock-ups and people usually ***** because the finished products looks nothing like the fancy mock-up.

I wasn't suggesting it had to be a fancy render, but it's not that hard to download Inkscape for free and do a simple, flat 2D mockup with the actual font you want to use, like many other group buys lately. Using the default font that www.keyboard-layout-editor.com uses for DSA profile, when you have infinite possibilities with dye-sublimated, does come across as either laziness or indifference.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 20:26:40 »

Keys available in the set, with actual fonts, and colors close to the intended selection based on material and shades are more than enough. Chip picture also help.

Offline regack

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 14:10:52 »
I feel sort of behind the curve with all of the analysis going on in here, when I was just thinking that I don't like this choice of green.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 16:01:11 »
I feel sort of behind the curve with all of the analysis going on in here, when I was just thinking that I don't like this choice of green.

That is more than fair. Just dismiss all this long discussion, it seems that this sort of long over elaborated line of arguments tend to be the usual thing recently.

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 23:27:25 »
This could be interesting. I've been considering building a Planck ortholinear, the Planck kit seems like it would make a nice, clean board with a splash of color.
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 19:41:15 »
I'm addicted to DSA's - but I will probably skip this one as I really hate the colors, yet it might be the representations that are throwing me off, indeed the gb starter could at least post some color strips to promote the set

The dye-subs have dark fonts by production limitations and the green-shade used might produce bad results, I personally like white on green, instead of black on green

Might buy the set for alphas, but I just can't be sure whether the font is green or black, black would be great, in that case the alphas can be used in mixture with other sets

Are the F/J's deep dishes? (hope not, that might kill it for me for good)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Supergeek

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 20:12:37 »
I've got a set of Dolch DSA and I love them. I'm hoping Granite makes another round.

I just don't like green either. Change the green to blue or gray and I would have been all over it.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 23:54:39 »
I think I'm eventually going to join, I'm just not sure about which extras to get

I generally buy extras to have absurd modifiers for future keyboards, infinity for example, yet none of the evergreen extras seem worthy (fc660m is usually nice for the 1.75 shift, but at 18$ it didn't interest me much as I don't use the 1.75 shift as shift)

Only the ISO extra is interesting, as it includes a 1u \| - yet it seems like the ISO isn't going to tip, and sp seems to leave the ISO out but print other non-tippers

I guess with the modifiers incompatibilities, it makes sense to just buy the base, for the dye-sub pbt white alphas
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 15:06:20 »

Offline berserkfan

SP Evergreen DSA dyesubs, 4 hours left!
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 10:14:04 »
http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/evergreen/

I have decided to support this GB.

Currently it is at 46 sets for $75 each.

I will be buying 1-3 sets depending on what will help tip this into the 50 set ($65) level. Will also buy a number of blanks.

Those who want to buy please make your decision now. I really do not want to buy more than absolutely necessary! Furthermore, by the time I ship it to where I am, I will have incurred extra shipping costs, so anyone wanting to buy from me will pay more. So if you like DSA and dyesubs buy now.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: SP Evergreen DSA dyesubs, 4 hours left!
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 10:54:42 »
No reason to start a third thread on a group buy that is an SP buy.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69782.0

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69927.0

It is also listed here

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57761.0
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 April 2015, 10:56:58 by SpAmRaY »