Author Topic: TriC 80 at Originative  (Read 10807 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
TriC 80 at Originative
« on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 10:46:44 »
https://www.originativeco.com/products/tric-80?variant=31754345424

Just trying to figure out what this is or where it originated from.  Is this an originative project, or are they helping out another group buy?  I kinda need one... It's kinda awesome.

You can lock/delete this thread if a GB page shows up on here.

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
Re: TriC 80 at Originative
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 10:59:37 »
Timeline:

Group Buy - March 6
Finish Group Buy - March 17
Send Payment - March 24
Production Finish - May 26
Send out all orders - June 9

I'm unsure if they are producing it or paying for a production run.

Offline justinmtype

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 11:28:07 »
https://www.originativeco.com/products/tric-80?variant=31754345424

Just trying to figure out what this is or where it originated from.  Is this an originative project, or are they helping out another group buy?  I kinda need one... It's kinda awesome.

You can lock/delete this thread if a GB page shows up on here.

Looks like an update:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5xdsum/comment/dehlke5

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 14:04:38 »
i think the tric boards are made by someone outside originative (meaning they're just in the middle)

not sure tho
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Arallu

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 14:40:06 »
They are also on taobao, same guy that sold the Tric60 in China - https://world.taobao.com/item/543070106999.htm

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 08:33:07 »
sooo, I'm planning to put my TriC 80 together this weekend and noticed that the WKL bottom row doesn't have the standard 1U blockers, but rather .75U blockers...

this gives me some rather "exotic" bottom row options.
Am I right assuming I can do something like a 1.25, 1.5, 7, 1, 1.5, 1.25 or a [...] 7, 1.25, 1.25, 1.25 layout?

pic for reference:

(I know I could just lay out some loose caps to find out, but I'm not home until the weekend and I can't stop wondering) ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 November 2017, 09:00:31 by rioc »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:41:33 »
sooo, I'm planning to put my TriC 80 together this weekend and noticed that the WKL bottom row doesn't have the standard 1U blockers, but rather .75U blockers...

Am I right assuming I can do something like a 1.25, 1.5, 7, 1, 1.5, 1.25 or a [...] 7, 1.25, 1.25, 1.25 layout?

pic for reference:
Show Image

(I know I could just lay out some loose caps to find out, but I'm not home until the weekend and I can't stop wondering) ;)

They have to add up to 15, so check the math.  I wouldn't count on anything working out perfectly until you get some keycaps on switches and place them in the holes.  I don't see any documentation online showing what layouts the bottom row supports. Just laying the caps won't show you that. 
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:46:53 by reececonrad »

Offline rioc

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:50:26 »

pic for reference:
Show Image

They have to add up to 15, so check the math.  I wouldn't count on anything working out perfectly until you get some keycaps on switches and place them in the holes.  I don't see any documentation online showing what layouts the bottom row supports. Just laying the caps won't show you that.

yeah, I know... I was hoping someone had already built his/hers to tell... oh well, I'll have to be patient then

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 14:57:08 »

pic for reference:
Show Image

yeah, I know... I was hoping someone had already built his/hers to tell... oh well, I'll have to be patient then

Haven't seen many of these built with blockers at all.  I'll be interested to see what you come up with.  I really liked this board but didn't have money at the time to buy one.

Offline rioc

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 17:34:20 »

pic for reference:
Show Image

Haven't seen many of these built with blockers at all.  I'll be interested to see what you come up with.  I really liked this board but didn't have money at the time to buy one.
Now I'm regretting I didn't get the 6.25U hammer carbon spacebar... I did the math with the mounting holes: the only lautet I can do is 1.25, 1.25, 1.25, 6.25, 1.25, 1.25, 1.25
I was hoping to get a 7u spacebar in there. Might put penumbra on it after all... Carbon just seemed like a good match with the hexagons, but oh well

Sent from my DREA100 using Tapatalk

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 22:09:32 »
Lovely collection rioc!  I'm sure this one will be as awesome as the others you have once you're done with it.  :thumb:

Offline odd

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 16:53:32 »
rico, let me know once you built yours up if you were able to get the side lights working. I believe originative gave me 2 right hand LED sticks so I cannot get them to work. I might email them about it but last time I asked for support on this board they gave me no info (well wrong info) so I'm not betting they will be willing to help with this issue as well.

I have the WK with the blockers and it's awesome. I went with the 1.25, 1.25, 1.25, 6.25, 1.25, 1.25, 1.25 set up. This is a great board with lots of cool extra's I wish I could get the side lights to work though  :(

Offline rioc

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 09:40:36 »
rico, let me know once you built yours up if you were able to get the side lights working. I believe originative gave me 2 right hand LED sticks so I cannot get them to work. I might email them about it but last time I asked for support on this board they gave me no info (well wrong info) so I'm not betting they will be willing to help with this issue as well.

I have the WK with the blockers and it's awesome. I went with the 1.25, 1.25, 1.25, 6.25, 1.25, 1.25, 1.25 set up. This is a great board with lots of cool extra's I wish I could get the side lights to work though  :(

Hi there, couldn't get the side LEDs working either... I think the strips are the same and are just mounted vice-versa, but when I put them on, the keyboard doesn't get recognised anymore, so I took them back off until someone figures it out and tells us ;) (it's a shame).

anyway, this is how it looks at the moment:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 20:21:12 »
Wow!  Quite lovely!  :thumb:

How's it feel?

Offline rioc

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 06:18:51 »
Wow!  Quite lovely!  :thumb:

How's it feel?
Gorgeous, popped some assorted vintage blacks in there. Went through about 150-200 switches to find those most smooth and consistent

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 13:45:06 »
That's awesome.  Did you have to solder the switches each time or did you make it so you can remove them without soldering?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 13:58:06 »
That's awesome.  Did you have to solder the switches each time or did you make it so you can remove them without soldering?

usually pretty easy to tell when they're loose in the hand, but depends on who you are and how you like to work on keyboards
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rioc

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 14:05:12 »
Well the switches I assorted single by hand before I soldered them.

And yeah, I thought of using Holtites to make it hot swappable, but the fit wasn't tight enough for my taste so soldered them in.

Offline odd

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 21:09:34 »

Hi there, couldn't get the side LEDs working either... I think the strips are the same and are just mounted vice-versa, but when I put them on, the keyboard doesn't get recognised anymore, so I took them back off until someone figures it out and tells us ;) (it's a shame).

Show Image

That's exactly the same thing that happens to me. The reason why I think there are 2 Right hand ones is because they both have a "R" stamped on them, plus tracing the data/ground/io there is no loop so both cannot be used anyway.  :(

Offline Vloshko

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 23:48:32 »

Show Image

Ever figure out those side LED's? I'm about to start a build.
Keycap Compendium

Discord: Vloshko#1327

Key Cap Wishlist

2019: Configure Optimal Audio Settings

HHKB Pro 2, Model M, Unicorn X Legend, ESPECTRO 96, SaiB CP, E8-V1.

Offline rioc

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 01:02:35 »

Show Image

Ever figure out those side LED's? I'm about to start a build.
Unfortunately not... Same to you if you find out ;)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 20:55:07 »
Yikes, though—$425 U.S. (plus shipping, I assume) for a keyboard made in Korea for probably around $50? Isn't that a bit exploitative? I mean, you could buy two RealForces for that.

Are you sure you guys aren't falling victim to premium pricing, a kind of psychological manipulation some vendors use to create the impression that products are extra-good just because they cost so much? I'm just saying.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 21:31:11 »
Yikes, though—$425 U.S. (plus shipping, I assume) for a keyboard made in Korea for probably around $50? Isn't that a bit exploitative? I mean, you could buy two RealForces for that.

Are you sure you guys aren't falling victim to premium pricing, a kind of psychological manipulation some vendors use to create the impression that products are extra-good just because they cost so much? I'm just saying.

Have you ever gotten a quote from a manufacturer? It's about $250 for a full TKL (depending on manufacturer), plus PCB ($40-50), plate ($20-30), and shipping costs. Then, add a margin on top of that to cover incidental costs, and you're easily at $400.

Offline Vloshko

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 06:00:19 »

That's exactly the same thing that happens to me. The reason why I think there are 2 Right hand ones is because they both have a "R" stamped on them, plus tracing the data/ground/io there is no loop so both cannot be used anyway.  :(

Interesting, mine both have an "L" stamped on them, want to trade? lol
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 November 2017, 04:38:36 by Vloshko »
Keycap Compendium

Key Cap Wishlist

Offline odd

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 14:25:23 »
Anyone get 2 "L" and want to trade one of my "R"

Offline rioc

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 16:19:58 »
Anyone get 2 "L" and want to trade one of my "R"

sry, already traded my second R for Vloshko's second L

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 17:35:33 »
Sorry to necro this thread but it's important to state that you need to SOLDER the LED strip to the board for it to work.

Offline Vloshko

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 01:15:24 »
Sorry to necro this thread but it's important to state that you need to SOLDER the LED strip to the board for it to work.

Thank you :)
However, we are aware of that already. Don't worry you aren't necroing the thread.

Best pic I can manage at this time of what the "L" marked one looks like on both sides prior to soldering: https://imgur.com/a/7vaZ1
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 December 2017, 01:35:04 by Vloshko »
Keycap Compendium

Key Cap Wishlist

Offline rioc

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 02:32:38 »

Thank you :)
However, we are aware of that already. Don't worry you aren't necroing the thread.

Best pic I can manage at this time of what the "L" marked one looks like on both sides prior to soldering: https://imgur.com/a/7vaZ1

yeah :D and this is the "R" right side: https://i.imgur.com/HVrKAnj.jpg
if you solder on two L or two R the board just shortcuts its circuit and it won't be recognised as a device anymore

Offline itskuroi

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 21:00:47 »
Super necro post, but mine recently arrived after ordering at Originative and was wondering if you guys had an issue with missing screws?

I'm missing the screws to attach the PCB for the USB hub to to the bottom of the board, as well as screws to attach the acrylic to the side piece, and rubber feet.

Board looks great, but I can't really make it haha.

Offline rioc

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 01:05:03 »
Super necro post, but mine recently arrived after ordering at Originative and was wondering if you guys had an issue with missing screws?

I'm missing the screws to attach the PCB for the USB hub to to the bottom of the board, as well as screws to attach the acrylic to the side piece, and rubber feet.

Board looks great, but I can't really make it haha.

yeah, the screws for the USB hub were missing on mine too as were the rubber feet. But I think the side pieces are just held in place by sliding them into the gap... (?)

Offline itskuroi

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 08:09:13 »
Ah, how did you end up attaching the PCB to the USB Hub? I have no idea what the screw dimensions for this are lol.

Offline rioc

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 01:04:26 »
Ah, how did you end up attaching the PCB to the USB Hub? I have no idea what the screw dimensions for this are lol.

well, with the hub-pcb attached to the main one with the flex-cable, the hub sits more or less stable in the bottom part without fixating it. But I did use some double-sided sticky foam in the end to secure it a bit better

Offline odd

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 23:28:41 »
I'm still looking for a "R" LED strip if anyone get's doubles and wants to swap for a "L"

Offline itskuroi

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 23:57:00 »

well, with the hub-pcb attached to the main one with the flex-cable, the hub sits more or less stable in the bottom part without fixating it. But I did use some double-sided sticky foam in the end to secure it a bit better

Sherry figured it out and it turns out it uses 60% screws, the one that attaches the PCB to the case.

Offline rioc

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 02:23:50 »

Sherry figured it out and it turns out it uses 60% screws, the one that attaches the PCB to the case.
ah that's neat... should still have a few of those laying around