Author Topic: [IC] GMK DOOM | GB NOW LIVE!  (Read 94345 times)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
Re: [IC] GMK DOOM | NOVELTY KEYS PACK UPDATED! - UPDATE #12 (23 / 05 / 2017)
« Reply #250 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 02:20:17 »
Any chance of having LED keycaps for 3 locks? Thanks!

+1

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
Re: [IC] GMK DOOM | BASE KIT UPDATED! - UPDATE #13 (05 / 07 / 2017)
« Reply #251 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 09:19:10 »
This is the new base kit:

172456-0

I am considering adding a R1 1u DOOM mask novelty key, but besides that I think that this is going to be the final base kit.

A new price is coming soon. Please tell me if you notice any issues.

Thanks.

Offline bkw1209

« Reply #252 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 09:46:40 »
YEs!!!!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #253 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 09:55:37 »
This is the new base kit:

(Attachment Link)

I am considering adding a R1 1u DOOM mask novelty key, but besides that I think that this is going to be the final base kit.

A new price is coming soon. Please tell me if you notice any issues.

Thanks.

Looks great! I'm glad to see this moving along, still working on the novelties I assume? Those are the main selling point for me personally because I already have the Exent GMK set coming which is also grey on black.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #254 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 10:16:35 »
As many do no like the large amount of blanks, what do you think of this design.

I have removed the 4 additional R4 blanks and replaced the blank WinKeys with Super.

172459-0

Does this produce any compatibility issues? I don't think any layouts are affected, but please let me know if any are.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #255 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 11:07:06 »
It doesn't make any compatibility issues but I think that "code" is a better choice instead of "super". Super usually refers to being a windows key or the equivalent on other OS. Where Code can mean anything.

In an effort to streamline the set, most sets only include 1 R2 1.5u delete/backspace. I think most people use it as backspace so it would make sense to have that legend. Since the HHKB has delete, I'm personally fine with either one. I'm sure other HHKB-layout users could chime in.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #256 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 11:46:09 »
I think a 1u R1 accent Backspace would be useful as those of us using hhkb layout will otherwise get no accent keys.
keyboards.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #257 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 11:58:08 »
In an effort to streamline the set, most sets only include 1 R2 1.5u delete/backspace. I think most people use it as backspace so it would make sense to have that legend. Since the HHKB has delete, I'm personally fine with either one.

This. I know the reason there is both is probably because people make posts about never buying the set if there isn't a 1.5u Delete vs. a 1.5u Backspace or vice versa but it seems like having both doesn't make much sense. Personally, I'm fine with either.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #258 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 12:22:13 »
I just became aware of this today. The set looks pretty cool, that, depending on pricing, could be a great last of the year buy. The inclusion of both delete and backspace makes this a nice set to have and the full only text modifiers are also a very good addition to the stock of pretty much anyone, due to its low contrast, it may go very well with many OG and GMK sets. I'd like to see the legends to be a bit more contrasting if possible. Some renders could pull a bit more interest and please make the 6u space bar off centered, considering that you are targeting to cover the 18xx keyboards.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 July 2017, 12:25:27 by ideus »

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #259 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 12:24:16 »
i like the little backspace/delete icon, but that might open a whole nother can of worms...

Offline Atredl

« Reply #260 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 12:29:58 »
i like the little backspace/delete icon, but that might open a whole nother can of worms...
I like it too, but since this is a text only mod set..

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #261 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 13:00:34 »
+1 on Code over Super. You'll need 2 1.0s and 2 1.5u's right?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #262 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 14:28:20 »
I am considering adding a R1 1u DOOM mask novelty key.
Please do.

It doesn't make any compatibility issues but I think that "code" is a better choice instead of "super".
Agreed.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #263 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 15:22:15 »
It doesn't make any compatibility issues but I think that "code" is a better choice instead of "super". Super usually refers to being a windows key or the equivalent on other OS. Where Code can mean anything.

In an effort to streamline the set, most sets only include 1 R2 1.5u delete/backspace. I think most people use it as backspace so it would make sense to have that legend. Since the HHKB has delete, I'm personally fine with either one. I'm sure other HHKB-layout users could chime in.

Throughout this IC many have requested code, and so I will replace super with code.

+1 on Code over Super. You'll need 2 1.0s and 2 1.5u's right?\

For which legends?

I just became aware of this today. The set looks pretty cool, that, depending on pricing, could be a great last of the year buy. The inclusion of both delete and backspace makes this a nice set to have and the full only text modifiers are also a very good addition to the stock of pretty much anyone, due to its low contrast, it may go very well with many OG and GMK sets. I'd like to see the legends to be a bit more contrasting if possible. Some renders could pull a bit more interest and please make the 6u space bar off centered, considering that you are targeting to cover the 18xx keyboards.

Does this mean that I have to include 2x6u spacebars? One centred, and one off centred?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #264 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 15:25:07 »

For which legends?

Windows keys. Bottom row would be Ctrl Code Alt Spacebar Alt Code Ctrl, instead of blanks, for example.

Offline Applet

« Reply #265 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 15:49:23 »
Yes, please add a R1 1u mask keycap.

Did we entirely skip the "ALL CAPS" keycap? (I LOVE this one!). This could provide an accented key for us HHKB-layout users?

This set is really comming together nicely :D

Edit: It pains me, but the off-center 6u space makes more sense
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 July 2017, 16:56:11 by Applet »

Offline x86ect

« Reply #266 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 15:59:16 »

Are they 1.5u or 1.25u (my boards seem to be 1.25)?

Does this mean that I have to include 2x6u spacebars? One centred, and one off centred?

I'm not sure if GMK does this, but I have a single space bar that has both centered and off centered mounts

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #267 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 17:05:30 »

Throughout this IC many have requested code, and so I will replace super with code.

For which legends?

It is known that GMK has a new mold with centered stem for the 6u space bar. It is not known if the new mold support both stem positions, which is doubtful, due to interferences. If you want to support both, you should ask GMK for details on the two space bar versions. What seems likely with the current information is that you may have to order both if you want to support both options. However, you should be aware the 18xx keyboards feature the standard off centered 6u space bar, not the new centered.

If you want to cover both options, you should ask GMK if the 6u space bar can have both stems, which is doubtful, because of interference with the switch. What is it for sure is that both molds for 6u space bars are now available from GMK, one with off centered stem, that is the standard one, as well as the new with centered stem.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #268 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 17:06:25 »

I'm not sure if GMK does this, but I have a single space bar that has both centered and off centered mounts

Are you sure that is the new 6u space bar mold from GMK? Check the image below, the space bar with four stems is the 6.25u; while the 6u has only one off centered stem for the switch besides the stabs ones. As far as I know, Nautilus set will be the first to include the new 6u space bar with centered stem.

« Last Edit: Wed, 05 July 2017, 17:34:21 by ideus »

Offline cumwagondeluxe

« Reply #269 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 18:29:57 »
It doesn't make any compatibility issues but I think that "code" is a better choice instead of "super". Super usually refers to being a windows key or the equivalent on other OS. Where Code can mean anything...

Are you even a DOOM fan? Super makes way more sense.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #270 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 18:51:16 »
It doesn't make any compatibility issues but I think that "code" is a better choice instead of "super". Super usually refers to being a windows key or the equivalent on other OS. Where Code can mean anything...

Are you even a DOOM fan? Super makes way more sense.

I prefer super but it seems that the vast majority prefer code.  Although I said I have agreed to code, I am still deciding between the two.

Offline Applet

« Reply #271 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 02:05:05 »
Personally I also prefer "super", I don't think "code" fits the theme (any other alternatives?)

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #272 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 23:13:25 »
This is the final base kit that I will submit to GMK:

172583-0

The reason there are 2 x 6u Spacebars is because one features a centred stem and one will feature a off-centred stem. I have emailed GMK and asked whether they can produce a 6u spacebar with both stems.

If I had to remove one 6u spacebar, which is the least popular?

These are the novelties I will submit to GMK:

172585-1

If you would like to provide any feedback, please do so now.

Offline Applet

« Reply #273 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 02:26:34 »
I love this set, it is perfect now!  ;D

Thanks for adding the 1u mask and all-caps novelties!

The off-center 6u spacebar should be far more common. Personally I want the center-stem to be able to use the set on a modded HHKB (the actual board, not layout), a center stem can be used on some customs. To my understanding, there are no off the shelf board with a center stem 6u space, right? Might be used on some gamer-style boards...

I will still join the buy without the center-stem 6u space :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 July 2017, 02:32:22 by Applet »

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #274 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 03:38:21 »
Only thing missing is a 2u left shift. These seem to be coming more common these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #275 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 05:21:26 »
I'd love to see a few more novelties like the ones shown in the first page, if I understand your latest post correctly and you're only going to be submitting just the 4 of them (three of them being the same DOOM mask) it may not warrant them having their own kit which would be a shame. I think there's so much potential for cool ones to go with this particular theme.

Offline Applet

« Reply #276 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 06:35:46 »
Yeah, the novelties are and can be great with this theme. Maybe add the grey "Mm... food" enter-key?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #277 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 07:50:22 »

The classic Cherry G80-1800 layout features the 6u off-centered stem space bar. Some contemporary boards like the Raptor Gaming K1 shares the same layout. The 6u space bar should be off centered if you support that layout. You can check the thread dedicated to these keyboards.

The centered stem space bar is required for some customs and for the  HHKB when it is customized with MX sliders, I do not know any commercially available keyboard that takes it. Considering these facts the demand is relatively low for both types of 6u space bars; but, it should be far lower for the centered stem version. If you decided to drop one version I'd kept the off centered one, because it covers the main demand for that space bar size to fit on 1800 keyboards.

On your set I really like the inclusion of two versions of the R2 1.5 backspace / delete, also the accented 2u backspace and the text only modifiers. If you include both space bars it would be very hard for me to let it to pass, even when I am already over my original keyboard's budget for this year. I suggest you to include an accented tab key to go along with the accented backspace.

« Last Edit: Fri, 07 July 2017, 07:51:53 by ideus »

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #278 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 07:57:36 »
I'd definitely be in for the base set. Maybe even the novelties.
I'll be following this for sure! :thumb:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #279 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 08:15:34 »

:-[ Meant 1.25u!

Only thing missing is a 2u left shift. These seem to be coming more common these days.

Which boards? Not challenging it in any way, more interested as I try and keep an up to date layout of all "necessary" keys.

Loving the set, it looks great. Don't care for 6u personally.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #280 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 14:03:01 »

I don't think I will add a 2u Shift to the base set.

I'd love to see a few more novelties like the ones shown in the first page, if I understand your latest post correctly and you're only going to be submitting just the 4 of them (three of them being the same DOOM mask) it may not warrant them having their own kit which would be a shame. I think there's so much potential for cool ones to go with this particular theme.

Yeah, the novelties are and can be great with this theme. Maybe add the grey "Mm... food" enter-key?

If the price of the base kit is too high,  I will consider removing the novelty keys and making them their own kit. If I do that I can include more novelty keys, however the only reason why I am hesitant to do that is because I am not sure a novelty kit will reach the required MOQ of 100.  I would hate to see the novelty kit fail to reach MOQ and there be no novelty keys at all. I would rather present fewer novelties with a higher chance of getting them produced, rather than presenting lots to the community but the chance of the them not being produced being a lot higher.

I'd definitely be in for the base set. Maybe even the novelties.
I'll be following this for sure! :thumb:

Thank you for the support! :)

I will post renders as soon as they are ready.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed feedback to this keycap set so far, I really appreciate it.

Offline Applet

« Reply #281 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 04:35:32 »
If the price of the base kit is too high,  I will consider removing the novelty keys and making them their own kit. If I do that I can include more novelty keys, however the only reason why I am hesitant to do that is because I am not sure a novelty kit will reach the required MOQ of 100.  I would hate to see the novelty kit fail to reach MOQ and there be no novelty keys at all. I would rather present fewer novelties with a higher chance of getting them produced, rather than presenting lots to the community but the chance of the them not being produced being a lot higher.
Yes, I think it is smart to try and keep the novelties in the base kit to make sure we reach MOQ. I´m happy with the current novelties.  ^-^

Offline Lazylewis

« Reply #282 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 06:59:30 »
The mmm food and DOOM graffiti are the best novelties, are they not being produced? 

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #283 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 07:14:08 »
Perhaps it's late to ask, but will you consider offering a NorDe kit?

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #284 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 08:28:24 »

Nautilus has 1k base set orders and 50 Norde kits,  please stop asking for norde kits

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #285 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 08:36:55 »
Nautilus has 1k base set orders and 50 Norde kits,  please stop asking for norde kits
I'm sure it wasn't your intention to sound rude, and I'm sure a NorDe kit in the GB won't annoy you either. Since the GB handler is in the UK it might attract more european customers, hence the reason for a NorDe kit.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #286 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 09:30:22 »

Norde kit's potential users tend to hesitate to join MD drops due to high taxes and shipping costs, therefore an MD drop demand for a Norde kit is not representative of the actual need for it. An Euro-based GB has larger chances to pull demand for a Norde kit than an MD drop has.

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #287 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 14:03:17 »

Norde kit's potential users tend to hesitate to join MD drops due to high taxes and shipping costs, therefore an MD drop demand for a Norde kit is not representative of the actual need for it. An Euro-based GB has larger chances to pull demand for a Norde kit than an MD drop has.

Make a Norde kit for this and see how that theory works out.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #288 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 11:57:10 »
After much consideration, these are the novelties that I will include with the base kit:

- 1 x R1 1u DOOM Mask (Black - CR BASE, N9 Icon)
- 1 x R1 2u MADVILLAIN key (Orange - V2 BASE, N9 Legend)
- 1 x R3 1.75u ALL CAPS key (Black CR BASE, Orange - V2 Legend)
- 1 x R3 2.25 MM..FOOD key (Black CR BASE, Orange - V2 Legend)
- 2 x R4 1.25 DOOM graffiti keys (Black CR BASE, Orange - V2 Legend)

They will be included with the base kit, and there will not be an extra novelty kit. This will most likely drive the price of the base kit up, however it will ensure that novelties get produced if this set is successful.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #289 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 12:07:56 »
When would the set be scheduled for production?

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #290 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 12:10:37 »

I think I will start the group buy 31st July, and run it for 3 weeks. Assuming the production time is 14 weeks, I think customers will receive this in December hopefully.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #291 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 12:14:13 »

I think I will start the group buy 31st July, and run it for 3 weeks. Assuming the production time is 14 weeks, I think customers will receive this in December hopefully.

Will make a brilliant Christmas present :D

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #292 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 12:14:33 »
Honest question: isn't it risky to run a GB in the month of August? Will it get enough visibility to people leaving for the summer holidays?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #293 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 12:25:41 »
Honest question: isn't it risky to run a GB in the month of August? Will it get enough visibility to people leaving for the summer holidays?

What kind of vacation is that with no browsing GH twice a day?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #294 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 12:37:35 »
What kind of vacation is that with no browsing GH twice a day?
Unbeatable argument, I take my question back.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #295 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 08:26:09 »
This is the final base kit design:

173280-0

These are the final designs for the novelties:

173283-1

* doomGMK5smoooth (1).pdf (87.55 kB - downloaded 84 times.)

I have submitted this to GMK, and I am waiting to receive a quote.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 July 2017, 08:32:09 by CAPS UNLOCKED »

Offline Vypr

« Reply #296 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 14:49:36 »
cool, looking forward to this

current keyboard: VE.A (home) WhiteFox TrueFox (home)  MD1 Infinity (Home)  Infinity Ergodox (work)
future keyboards:

Offline Applet

« Reply #297 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 08:45:53 »
I'm getting more and more hyped about this set. Loving that you added more novelties and kept both 6u spacebars!  ;D

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
I have added the final pricing for this keycap set, please read the original post.

Offline cynviloq

I have added the final pricing for this keycap set, please read the original post.

What MOQ is that pricing for? $150 for a GMK Group Buy Base Kit that's mostly CR on N9 will be a tough sell for the US, so hopefully enough EU get in on this to make it happen... just for reference Honeywell had 148 keys and the Group Buy price was $135.

In the latest mockup, is that supposed to be a stepped Caps Lock or are you choosing to include a double line Caps Lock? In either case I think you should consider a blank stepped or window stepped if you must include a stepped.