Author Topic: [IC]GMK THAI  (Read 40762 times)

Offline Owl-

Re: [IC]GMK THAI (sublegends confirmed)
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 06:39:10 »
I've just seen the updated novelties they look good. There's 12 of them, so I guess they go on R1 for the F keys? If they're not, I think numbering them down to 8/9 seems about right.
165793-0

I really like the durian :) Are these correct? I can't quite picture what the snake and crab is. Is the snake, the Serpent and the crab, the Horseshoe Crab?
I think swapping the crab to Thai's national dish - Phad Thai makes more sense for food IMO.

The refinements are looking great!

Please add two R4 1u 'Code' keys (ideal) or one 1u 'Menu' key.

Would be fantastic to see Split-Space support!
Looking for two R4 2u keys for Clueboard. Included in the set might be more appropriate, though a separate kit is also good but could be hard to reach MOQ.

You should see the 1u-Menu key and two 1u-Code keys in the final solution. About any other keys maybe I will try , but no promises. Thanks a lot.

Awesome!

If you can work out a solution, that'll be epic.
This chart is a sensible compatibility for mini space bars and split-space:
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 April 2017, 07:09:33 by Owl- »

Offline EWBears

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 07:05:10 »
OP please consider a more modern font for the Thai legends.  Literally *every* Thai keyboard has the same legends as yours and there are much better fonts now than the same one that has been used for half a century!

Offline Owl-

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 07:33:38 »
OP please consider a more modern font for the Thai legends.  Literally *every* Thai keyboard has the same legends as yours and there are much better fonts now than the same one that has been used for half a century!

Those fonts are 'modern' as it is and original Thai alphabets. It's not just some simple process to replicate fancy 'modern' English font styles with Thai letters. It's possible, but it's not some quick font change you make it out to be.
If cleaning and 'modernising' Thai letters it should be for the main legends, of focus, and English as sub-legends
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 April 2017, 07:38:30 by Owl- »

Offline EWBears

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 08:25:40 »
What are you talking about, Owl?  I lived in Thailand for years and I write and speak Thai, so I think that I'm qualified to weigh in on this.  Most modern fonts are drastically different from the set that OP is using.  Look at any advertisement or movie trailer and you'll almost certainly see a font where the loops are omitted for a cleaner look.

Yes, of course, the letters are the same. The alphabet hasn't changed, it's still the same language, but young Thais much prefer a cleaner font that more closely resembles Roman letters.  The font in OP is used in books and online but it's outdated and not very hip, and frankly it's not as aesthetically pleasing as contemporary options.

Offline Owl-

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 09:17:46 »
Your post sounds like you want fancier fonts like Bradley Hand or a custom font remake. I’m talking about that the fonts are still classed as modern for keyboards, so it's recognisable because it's widely used in texts, books, etc. I’m aware that adverts or movies fonts are modern and different because it is done to be graphical.

I’m saying if modernised Thai fonts are preferred, so it has cleaner lines and loops, IMO I think it looks better as the main legends for a better focus to better show that, so they ‘pop’ more to reflect.

Offline EWBears

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 09:28:40 »
OK I understand now, and I think that I miscommunicated my request for considering a more contemporary font. I wasn't asking OP for a more elaborate font but actually a simpler, cleaner font which could be the primary legends or the sublegend. I actually like the idea of Thai being the main legends and English being the sublegend.

Did you see my HHKB that I posted on the first page of this thread? That's the kind of font that I recommend at least considering for a board like this.  I find the font used in OP renders to be overly complex with all of the loops and thin lines, but that's just my personal opinion.

Offline Owl-

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 11:13:27 »
I certainly have, especially if I'm reading this far :)) Your Thai keycaps are what I've noticed that its got cleaner fonts, and it is also what I had to mind for reference to be the main legends and English as sub-legends.

Personally, for me, I still admire the traditional regular font like the one I have here
165824-0
but always open to the cleaner font as you've suggested :)

Offline EWBears

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 11:32:23 »
Your keycap set is nice! Is that DSA? Were they custom printed?

Also, part of my reason for asking OP to consider something different is because there are already sets out there with alphas quite similar to the ones that they designed (just different legend colors) and if you're going to do a cool foreign language set it's nice to have something unique IMO. Ducky makes pbt Thai language sets with the font that OP used and corsair makes double shot and white on black and black on white. There are probably a few other sets floating around out there too that are similar to this one.

Offline Owl-

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 12:11:50 »
They're nice indeed :) Yes, DSA, produced by Endsvile.

Understood :) This set is still in the IC phase, so 458 still has plenty of time to work on this set.
As far as I'm aware, the ones in PBT by Ducky hasn't been stocked for a while now, they've moved to ABS instead, but that too hasn't been stocked much. Since when did Corsair start doing doubleshot? Pretty sure they've only done their usual laser etched thin ABS, even till now.

Offline 458

• No excuses No limits
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 12:25:13 »
Your keycap set is nice! Is that DSA? Were they custom printed?

Also, part of my reason for asking OP to consider something different is because there are already sets out there with alphas quite similar to the ones that they designed (just different legend colors) and if you're going to do a cool foreign language set it's nice to have something unique IMO. Ducky makes pbt Thai language sets with the font that OP used and corsair makes double shot and white on black and black on white. There are probably a few other sets floating around out there too that are similar to this one.

Thanks for your valuable advice. I'll ask GMK some questions about your discussion.

Offline EWBears

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 12:59:12 »

Understood :) This set is still in the IC phase, so 458 still has plenty of time to work on this set.
As far as I'm aware, the ones in PBT by Ducky hasn't been stocked for a while now, they've moved to ABS instead, but that too hasn't been stocked much. Since when did Corsair start doing doubleshot? Pretty sure they've only done their usual laser etched thin ABS, even till now.

I'm pretty sure most of the corsair out there now are double shot since they are compatible with backlighting like the ones seen here: http://www.rtbplus.com/market/uploaded_files/images/Corsair/S__6635538.jpg

But you're right that the ducky pbt is getting harder to find and they have some abs options that is more common but still requires some searching.

Either way custom seems like the best of the current options, but it would be nice to have a GMK set too!

Offline 458

• No excuses No limits
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 13:09:49 »

Your are highly talented and the original intention:165826-0

Thanks for the advice. I hope we can work together more.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 13:11:48 »
I would love a GMK set with Thai legends but these colors and fonts aren't for me...

I don't understand why every Thai legend keyboard is the most boring font available!  Take a look at my custom dye-sub with more contemporary legends (font is free from RSU).

This looks awesome.

Offline Owl-

Re: [IC]GMK THAI (Updated)
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 14:22:30 »

I'm pretty sure most of the corsair out there now are double shot since they are compatible with backlighting like the ones seen here: http://www.rtbplus.com/market/uploaded_files/images/Corsair/S__6635538.jpg

But you're right that the ducky pbt is getting harder to find and they have some abs options that is more common but still requires some searching.

Either way custom seems like the best of the current options, but it would be nice to have a GMK set too!

That's their regular ABS coated in black then laser etched for shine-through, not doubleshot  :))

Just hoping this set is price friendly in the end :)

Your are highly talented and the original intention: (Attachment Link)

Thanks, just passionate about sets I admire like this one you've done :)

More thoughts:
  • I was close about the coconut guess, I like the novelty, but I feel it could be better for something else. The reason is, coconuts are produced in many of the Asian countries, not just Thailand. Don't get me wrong, coconuts there are lovely but it's not a prominent fruit like the durian since Thailand is the leading producers of durian fruits so the durian novelty should stay, no need for two kinds IMO.
    If it is to be changed to something, I think changing it to the country map is nicer. A novelty in the shape of the Thailand country is more interesting IMO. Like this
    165834-0
  • I think the crab/seafood novelty is good but could be done differently to something like 'Thailand food' overall. They're known for other foods too, not just seafood. A Phad Thai plate with the Thailand flag sticking out of the plate as a novelty is how I'm visualising it. Since Phad Thai is Thailand's national dish and the Thai flag sticking out of it indicates 'Thai food' which is how I see it.
    It could be a tricky novelty, but I'm sure you can do one in your style ;)
  • I like the snake/serpent novelty too, but this is also something I feel could be swapped to reflect Thailand better. I'm thinking Tuk Tuks in their cities. Like this one
    165836-1
    They're used in a lot of places and a prominent transport for Thai people and tourists alike in Thai cities. A novelty of the Tuk Tuk would be fun to see
  • The two R1 1u [\|] keys needs Thai legends too.

That's all of my input for now :)

Thank you for so many interesting and very good proposals to help improve the GMK THAI. I'll do my best.

I look forward to it :D

The twelve novelty keys are great, just those three I've mentioned could be improved :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 April 2017, 10:07:24 by Owl- »

Offline 458

• No excuses No limits
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 09:51:12 »

That's all of my input for now :)
[/quote]

Thank you for so many interesting and very good proposals to help improve the GMK THAI. I'll do my best.

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 13:00:52 »

I LOVE the Serpent, Elephant, Crown, Crab, Grand Palace, and Coconut tree! Please keep those Novelties no matter what! I need these!

The Scuba Diving is great too. It would be so neat if the other Novelties could be neat animals too, but I know that would probably be a bit too much for other people.

Offline 458

• No excuses No limits
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 05:08:43 »

I LOVE the Serpent, Elephant, Crown, Crab, Grand Palace, and Coconut tree! Please keep those Novelties no matter what! I need these!

The Scuba Diving is great too. It would be so neat if the other Novelties could be neat animals too, but I know that would probably be a bit too much for other people.

I'm glad you like those novelties. I'll design more novelties about the Thailand cultural elements, but not necessaril about the animals. You like animals? The peacock? The crocodile? Thailand is a country of many regional animals.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 05:09:50 »

I'm glad you like those novelties. I'll design more novelties about the Thailand cultural elements, but not necessaril about the animals. You like animals? The peacock? The crocodile? Thailand is a country of many regional animals.

Fantastic set. Can't wait to see it out! These will used pad printed secondary legends right?

HYPE trains!
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline Owl-

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 19:46:43 »

I love them too, but I don't feel the crab, serpent and coconut tree reflects Thailand well enough as the rest does. I don't see why you'd need them apart from using them for a different set.

Having more animals will detour the set to something else. It's best to get a good variation from a whole, not animals alone. One of each element is better.

Fantastic set. Can't wait to see it out! These will used pad printed secondary legends right?

HYPE trains!

It should be unless this ends up being triple shot, which would be legit a banger if it is.

Have you thought about doing the Thai sub-legends on the front and not top? I think it's an interesting style too.
Or have the Thai legends as the main top legends and English sub-legends on the front; I think that would be a killer combo too.

option 1 (Current) - top English legends and Thai sub-legends
option 2 - top English legends, front Thai sub-legends
option 3 - top Thai legends and English sub-legends
option 4 - top Thai legends, front English sub-legends

You could do a poll for this if there's enough interest or find out what most prefer.

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 23:54:40 »

I love them too, but I don't feel the crab, serpent and coconut tree reflects Thailand well enough as the rest does. I don't see why you'd need them apart from using them for a different set.

Having more animals will detour the set to something else. It's best to get a good variation from a whole, not animals alone. One of each element is better.

HYPE trains!

It should be unless this ends up being triple shot, which would be legit a banger if it is.

Have you thought about doing the Thai sub-legends on the front and not top? I think it's an interesting style too.
Or have the Thai legends as the main top legends and English sub-legends on the front; I think that would be a killer combo too.

You could do a poll for this if there's enough interest or find out what most prefer.

@Owl-,

I think you're taking what I'm saying too literally. People can say they "need" something just for the sake of saying it. In my case I just said I need it because I think it's really cool and I would like them/purchase them. I get having more animals would change the theme too much, hence why I said while they would be neat, "it would probably be too much for other people."
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 April 2017, 00:00:44 by Unforgivable »

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 00:13:28 »

I love animals in general! They're all wonderful! Really excited to see more of your work.  :thumb:

I'm already a fan of the set, the sublegends just made it even better!

Offline Owl-

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 04:59:38 »
@Owl-,

I think you're taking what I'm saying too literally. People can say they "need" something just for the sake of saying it. In my case I just said I need it because I think it's really cool and I would like them/purchase them. I get having more animals would change the theme too much, hence why I said while they would be neat, "it would probably be too much for other people."

Ok, I'm not there so I can't hear and see that but your post certainly sounds like you literally mean that and ending with an exclamation mark twice :)

Offline SpinahVieh

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 05:36:16 »
Seems like they missed the trap keyc - looks at novelties - Wow, they really thought of everything!

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 06:18:02 »
@Owl-,

Ok, I'm not there so I can't hear and see that but your post certainly sounds like you literally mean that and ending with an exclamation mark twice :)

You're an odd duck, I can't help you there, lol. :p
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 April 2017, 06:32:34 by Unforgivable »

Offline 458

• No excuses No limits
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 10:03:35 »

[/quote]

Thanks. I have to do some think before making a decision.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 10:16:08 »
Having both legends, Latin and Thai, on top make the set look too cramped. Besides, pad printed legends will fade making the set looking  pretty bad.

Offline Owl-

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 10:29:46 »
I don't think it looks cramped IMO compared to something bolder like Cyrillic.
Having the sub-legends on the front will surely prevent fading from happening. Hence front sub-legends suggestion is one of my reasons.

Offline sklin

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 10:32:40 »

Thanks. I have to do some think before making a decision.
[/quote]
No! The original design is more colorful imo...

Offline Owl-

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 12:45:15 »
It still looks colourful to me regardless of if the sub-legends are front or top. I think it gives it a different exotic edge if the English legends are done on the front and Thai legends on top :)

Offline 458

• No excuses No limits
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 22:37:01 »

HYPE trains!

Yep, These will used pad printed secondary legends. Thank you for your blessings

Offline Lazarus

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 13:49:38 »
nice design ...Hope to see it complete very soon ^ ^

Offline mBass

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 15:02:19 »
*applies interest vigorously*

Offline Potatoes

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 14:11:41 »
And.. Also marked. So many potential good sets out there. ahhh, my wallet.

Offline ThatsFineThatOne

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 15:20:49 »
I love the look of this set. Any idea on timeline for the group buy?

Offline poolside

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 09:59:17 »
Are the R2 Delete, End and PgDown keycaps (from the base set) as well as the R3 PgDown and R4 Delete (from the compat set) really meant to be purple on white instead of magenta on purple?

Offline ns90

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 22:50:18 »
I like the design, I'm just curious as to what people's experience are with GMK's pad printed legends.

Offline 458

• No excuses No limits
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 01:56:23 »
I love the look of this set. Any idea on timeline for the group buy?

Thanks a lot. But there are some of parts of the GMK-THAI can be improved and ameliorated.

As you can see, quite a lot of groupbuys will be available, it's hard to find the due time.

Offline 458

• No excuses No limits
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 03:53:01 »
Are the R2 Delete, End and PgDown keycaps (from the base set) as well as the R3 PgDown and R4 Delete (from the compat set) really meant to be purple on white instead of magenta on purple?

Yes, I set a different style.

Offline poolside

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 04:58:53 »

Yes, I set a different style.

Ok, thanks!

Offline 458

• No excuses No limits
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 12:35:32 »
Now the novelties has been updated.

167780-0

Offline sklin

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 12:38:22 »
New renders look great! Really looking forward to this :thumb:

Offline poolside

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 08:34:16 »
Nice jewel novelty keycap!

(Attachment Link)

Nice jewel novelty keycap!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 19:13:07 »
Is Kathoey an actual trend in Thai culture? Isn't it more like an underground thing? It is interesting that it would be included.

Offline 458

• No excuses No limits
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 21:59:08 »
Is Kathoey an actual trend in Thai culture? Isn't it more like an underground thing? It is interesting that it would be included.

Yes, kathoey is a decent work in Thai, the city is also famous for its flamboyant kathoey cabaret shows where transsexual and transgender entertainers perform to packed houses.

Offline Owl-

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 20:10:17 »

(Attachment Link)

Novelties look good. I'm assuming the four new novelties are pretty much for 108key keyboards.

Would be nice to roughly see an illustrated Phad Thai plate like this or so:
168038-0

The three keycaps I marked could be updated with Thai legends
168040-1

Add two 1u 'Code' keys to the set, please. Another 1u 'Fn' would be nice too.

Offline yap68

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 23:42:24 »
Nice colors combo and sub legends but really no love for pad printing on top.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 May 2017, 00:19:00 by yap68 »

Offline sklin

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 00:07:24 »

(Attachment Link)

Novelties look good. I'm assuming the four new novelties are pretty much for 108key keyboards.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Yep for consistency, that white \| should have a sub legend.

Maybe add 1u yellow/pink R4 novelties for that code/fn or whatever?

Offline 458

• No excuses No limits
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 01:34:37 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

As you might expect?

1u-code & 1u-fn will be inevitable!

The three keycaps you marked will be updated with Thai legends. It's my fault. Thank you. That's very thoughtful of you.

Offline 458

• No excuses No limits
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 01:42:15 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Yep for consistency, that white \| should have a sub legend.

Maybe add 1u yellow/pink R4 novelties for that code/fn or whatever?

I have took down what you said, thank you. That's very thoughtful of you.

Offline Owl-

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 08:29:10 »
Nice colors combo and sub legends but really no love for pad printing on top.

I did suggest to have the English Latin as side pad printed sub-legends and Thai as the main legends on top, to significantly prolong the life of the pad print. Not sure what anyone else thinks tho. Would personally love to see an interesting render of it.
If there are demands, I could see it as an extra kit, just for those alphas. I'd definitely grab both.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)    As you might expect?

1u-code & 1u-fn will be inevitable!

The three keycaps you marked will be updated with Thai legends. It's my fault. Thank you. That's very thoughtful of you.

I LOVE IT! - Please make it R4

and happy to know 1u Code keys and another 1u Fn is in the works  :)