Author Topic: [IC] XDA 8Bit - a Dyesub PBT Keyset  (Read 46251 times)

Offline bciamny

Re: [IC] XDA 8Bit - a Dyesub PBT Keyset
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 16:00:02 »
ah cool. i was thinking im in the minority of wob and wob-like keysets :)

Offline Seelen

« Reply #101 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 21:10:36 »
Love this set idea!! I've been wanting to pick up an XDA profile set, and this is probably going to be it.

I know there will always  be a million people asking for kits to be made and split and all that, but  Ican't help but wonder how it would look with Mono legends for the top number row... especially with that iconic !. My boyfriend and I were just talking about that the other day, it was used in Japanese fonts for old games as well and is instantly recognizable. A full sized version would probably be awesome!

I did find the novelties a little underwhelming though. I understand it's very hard to create "on topic* novelties, and I thought the sword and shield were a nice touch, but I can't help but feel something is missing. As somebody else linked, you can already get "generic" sets similar to this. The profile and quality will definitely be better, but I'm trying to think about something that might set it apart. Unfortunately I'm not generally the creative type, but I'll know it when I see it!

I did like the idea of RGBY keys, but that might be outside the aesthetic of this set honestly, and I'm struggling to think of a place where you could pull them off while still maintaining a semblance of distinctive plus-sign shape.

Not sure how close to infringement this would run but you could always do the LoZ inventory items running up the numpad.

Offline consolation

« Reply #102 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 21:14:36 »
It is possible, but for lighter legends on dark keys reverse dyesub is required. It's still somewhat of an experimental process

Wicked on the ErgoDox front  :thumb: If you time it right, this will launch just as everyone who ordered their boards in the current MD drop gets them in their hands; and realises blank caps might sound cool - but really are a bit of a pita when you are learning a new layout...

Do you have any more info on how reverse dye sub process would work with key caps? Are you using a light cap and dyeing all the negative space?

Offline consolation

« Reply #103 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 21:21:14 »
I did find the novelties a little underwhelming though. I understand it's very hard to create "on topic* novelties, and I thought the sword and shield were a nice touch, but I can't help but feel something is missing...

It desperately needs this classic sprite added in...

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 07:59:01 »
I did find the novelties a little underwhelming though. I understand it's very hard to create "on topic* novelties, and I thought the sword and shield were a nice touch, but I can't help but feel something is missing...

It desperately needs this classic sprite added in...

Show Image

Ahh a true classic. I'll see what I can do ;)

Offline stand.geek

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 12:00:03 »
Wow! Interested at the first sight!

Offline xantiema

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 07:05:30 »
Okay, I am in for sure. Eventhough there isn't a relevance, it reminds me a ton of the time I spent playing Runescape  :))

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:11:48 »
Interested.  :cool:

Offline consolation

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 16:09:41 »
Greetings OP, is this likely to proceed out of [IC]? Or, you putting this on a back burner?

Offline Hazzula

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 13:29:28 »
Greetings OP, is this likely to proceed out of [IC]? Or, you putting this on a back burner?
Hope he isn't. Seems too awesome not to happen

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 July 2017, 11:17:42 by Hazzula »

Offline Cantello

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 02:28:25 »
Interested. What about international support? ISO-DE/Nordic would be welcome.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 10:26:02 »
How about a mono-legend option? If not for all the multi-legend keys, then at least for the 1u keys in the alpha field. That would create a uniform-ish character size which would add to the mono-space font feel.

Offline MacGruber117

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 11:51:56 »
I've only ever seen these XDA profile sets in a beige and gray color scheme. Was this by choice or do they only make caps in those colors?
I want to buy your ETF and Garbo Pusses. PM me

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 14:06:20 »
this post is overdue! I have been doing a lot of work behind the scenes to make this set happen. First off I have some dyesub samples that the XDA guys put together for me. The positioning isn't 100% but that's partly my fault. I've got an artist working on the key layout files now so that everything should look much better on the next samples. What is good here is the quality of the printing of each character.

I also have pricing for the kits and so far everything is looking great for this to be an affordable set.

I am currently finalizing my design files for each kit and then will be having a sample of each kit produced. Once I receive those and verify everything was produced correctly and everything matches my expectations, the group buy will be moving forward.

I've only ever seen these XDA profile sets in a beige and gray color scheme. Was this by choice or do they only make caps in those colors?

I believe they do other colors, I picked the grays here to match the colors of the NES for more of that nostalgic feel. They also dyesub well.

How about a mono-legend option? If not for all the multi-legend keys, then at least for the 1u keys in the alpha field. That would create a uniform-ish character size which would add to the mono-space font feel.

That is an interesting idea. I will think about it.

My past international offerings have not done well, so for this buy I'm keeping things a little simpler. Sorry :(

I apologize for the lack of updates in this thread. I've been hard at work progressing this, so hopefully the update above is what you're looking for :D

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 17:15:41 »
this post is overdue! I have been doing a lot of work behind the scenes to make this set happen. First off I have some dyesub samples that the XDA guys put together for me. The positioning isn't 100% but that's partly my fault. I've got an artist working on the key layout files now so that everything should look much better on the next samples. What is good here is the quality of the printing of each character.

Show Image

Show Image

I also have pricing for the kits and so far everything is looking great for this to be an affordable set.

I am currently finalizing my design files for each kit and then will be having a sample of each kit produced. Once I receive those and verify everything was produced correctly and everything matches my expectations, the group buy will be moving forward.

I believe they do other colors, I picked the grays here to match the colors of the NES for more of that nostalgic feel. They also dyesub well.

My past international offerings have not done well, so for this buy I'm keeping things a little simpler. Sorry :(

I apologize for the lack of updates in this thread. I've been hard at work progressing this, so hopefully the update above is what you're looking for :D

That upside down "B" novelty!  Triggered!

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 10:27:18 »

Show Image

Show Image

That upside down "B" novelty!  Triggered!

lol I knew someone would point that out. keycap upside down... same with the cartridge XD

On a positive note my artist is making good progress fixing the legend placements so that they are centered. Once he's finished we will be getting each kit made for a quality check and then we will be good to start the sale! Sounds like turnaround time for the caps will be 90 days (for the group buy).

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 10:42:00 »
Great to hear this set is moving forward! I was pretty interested in this set when I 1st saw it, but I just built a Let's Split! & I think this set will go perfectly with it. Definitely gonna be keeping an eye on this one for sure, can't wait too see what the final product will look like! Great work as usual evangs! :thumb:

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 23:04:14 »
Working on renders for the kits and then a launch date for the group buy. I need to update the op as well since the set has been through some iterations and what's there isn't fully representative of what is being rendered. I'll update it tomorrow when I'm at a computer

Offline palindrome

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 01:00:24 »
Looks great! Thanks for bring back the Apple Command key!

OG KBC Poker X (Brown)     Leopold FC660M (Brown)

Offline pluplog

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 05:26:08 »
Really looking forward to as well!
Kinesis Advantage | Kinesis Advantage Pro | Maltron L89 | Filco Minila

Offline ctrl

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 06:34:53 »

That's too bad. I'd second an ISO-Norde kit in a heartbeat! The samples look beautiful! And seeing how this would be adapted to the BananaSplit60 as well...

Offline Chromatrope

• Tortures arrows, murders Lshift, doesn't press X
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 08:14:17 »
If there's an EU proxy I am absolutely in. Very nice looking set.
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 12:02:22 »
EU proxy would be dope as hell

MAAASSSSDDDRROOOPPPPPP!!!!!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #125 on: Sat, 16 September 2017, 21:15:26 »
Anyone know why this was up on eBay? https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/70kerz/help_does_anybody_know_about_this_vintage_keyset/?st=J7O0S9XG&sh=e5f00177

That's messed up.  Evan?  Is this a prototype set?

lol it's marketing :) my art director had some fun. I've got a promo site launching soon with 8Bit details and goodness :)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #126 on: Sat, 16 September 2017, 21:28:22 »
Anyone know why this was up on eBay? https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/70kerz/help_does_anybody_know_about_this_vintage_keyset/?st=J7O0S9XG&sh=e5f00177

That's messed up.  Evan?  Is this a prototype set?

lol it's marketing :) my art director had some fun. I've got a promo site launching soon with 8Bit details and goodness :)

Awesome.  Looking forward to it.

Offline holtenc

« Reply #127 on: Sat, 16 September 2017, 21:39:47 »
I hope that box is the real deal. would really add a nice touch to the set

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 16 September 2017, 21:47:12 »
I hope that box is the real deal. would really add a nice touch to the set

we are working on it :) we've got some other cool things in the works for the set as well.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 16 September 2017, 22:05:20 »
A "Continue" key and a "Game Over" key would be perfect for this set, even if they have to wait for round 2.  A "Stage" key ("Stage 1" for round 1, "Stage 2" for round 2, etc.) or a "World 1" key would be cool for each run of this set, as well.  Also, the exclamation point is absolutely perfect.  This set has triggered me.  Now I need a dose of Paul Robertson's art.

Offline tigerali

« Reply #130 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 14:25:00 »
Interesting. I'd like to have the Apple Command key back. I'm not against the NES key; just would rather have the Apple mods all together. I then could use the NES key somewhere else.

I will think about it

Ditto on the Apple keys - would love to see them in addition to the icon novelties.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 23:03:08 »
Something I hope y'all will enjoy :)

https://8bit.thevankeyboards.com

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #132 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 23:17:13 »

Oh man.  NICE WORK!  I love it!  And props to the person who did the design.  Question... is it gray and white or more like this photo:
178539-0

This render looks more like the NES colors with more of a beige tone to the alphas.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 00:12:46 »
Haha nice work on that site.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 00:42:51 »

The site looks great!! Can't wait for it!!

Offline Dominathan

• Too many keyboards? Not enough hands.
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 00:59:51 »
That page is awesome!  Can't wait for the set!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline pomk

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 04:59:29 »

Do you plan on still fixing the sizing of pixels? For example the backspace keys pixels are much smaller than those used in the enter key (sprite pack). Otherwise looks good, sad that there is no international kit  :'( What would be the MOQ for an added international kit?
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 September 2017, 11:28:40 by pomk »

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 06:37:01 »

Oh man.  NICE WORK!  I love it!  And props to the person who did the design.  Question... is it gray and white or more like this photo:
(Attachment Link)

This render looks more like the NES colors with more of a beige tone to the alphas.

So the sample and the render use the same Pantone color. Could be a lighting thing, not sure. Anyway I'm having them do 1 of each kit that I sign off on before they produce the sets.

edit: turns out I can't read early in the morning. yeah that render isn't a render. That was the sample from XDA. Our goal is to match the NES case colors as closely as possible.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 September 2017, 10:20:47 by evangs »

Offline Data

« Reply #138 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 08:47:59 »

This is really impressive.  It's gonna be a great set/GB.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #139 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 09:23:05 »

Thank you! I had fun building it

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 17:33:02 »
I should mention that there are cheat codes on the site one of which leads to entry for a giveaway :D

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #141 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 18:18:45 »
I should mention that there are cheat codes on the site one of which leads to entry for a giveaway :D

Are you logging all the passcode attempts? I'm curious what the top tried passcodes are.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline Dominathan

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 18:38:56 »

I got Rickrolled!!!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 18:42:16 »

I got Rickrolled!!!

same.  Was hoping that was the giveaway code :(

Offline Dominathan

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 18:43:16 »

I got Rickrolled!!!

same.  Was hoping that was the giveaway code :(

He also made the validation server-side... clever girl

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #145 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 18:45:16 »

Are you logging all the passcode attempts? I'm curious what the top tried passcodes are.

No I should have, maybe I'll add it tonight

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #146 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 21:59:12 »

Has anyone gotten the cheat code?  I've snooped around and found a modal with the passcode and submit button, but I don't know how to trigger it :(

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #147 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 22:18:51 »

Has anyone gotten the cheat code?  I've snooped around and found a modal with the passcode and submit button, but I don't know how to trigger it :(

only one person has made it through so far

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 00:24:34 »

Hey Data!! When are you gonna dust off Danger Zone and re-run it? Maybe DSA or XDA?  ;D

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #149 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 11:53:36 »

only one person has made it through so far

Only one person made it through the popup?
F Keys belong on the left.