Author Topic: Standing Desk - Swole Feet & Ankles  (Read 19922 times)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: Standing Desk - Swole Feet & Ankles
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 25 June 2017, 00:54:00 »
Definitely recommend a mat. I tend to minimize issues with a motorize sit/stand desk but even if I'm just standing for the afternoon or something the mat makes a notable difference. Especially in some of my work shoes which are not as comfortable in the arch. Also spent a little while experimenting with some minor height adjustments to make sure my shoulders were comfortable as well. It does take a bit of work to learn exactly where you need everything to be.

A mat would help. Much better than wood floor if you ask me. I've been a standing desk user for nearly three months and my ankles/feet have just about returned to their normal size. The ruptured blood vessels will take a bit longer to heal I guess but I'm not a foot model so all is well. Forgetting to sit down might be one of my main problems.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 25 June 2017, 02:04:55 »
Definitely recommend a mat. I tend to minimize issues with a motorize sit/stand desk but even if I'm just standing for the afternoon or something the mat makes a notable difference. Especially in some of my work shoes which are not as comfortable in the arch. Also spent a little while experimenting with some minor height adjustments to make sure my shoulders were comfortable as well. It does take a bit of work to learn exactly where you need everything to be.

A mat would help. Much better than wood floor if you ask me. I've been a standing desk user for nearly three months and my ankles/feet have just about returned to their normal size. The ruptured blood vessels will take a bit longer to heal I guess but I'm not a foot model so all is well. Forgetting to sit down might be one of my main problems.

Inflammation brought upon by meat consumption..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 25 June 2017, 10:45:13 »

Uh oh, tp4tissue has wandered away from the off topic sub-forum.

Ok, I'll bite but not from what you've mentioned. I quit cigs some years ago and kept the weight. I assume if you're of normal weight a lot of my problems would not be an issue for you. My skating weight has alluded me for a while now, and I'm starting a routine come Monday to change my nasty ways.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 25 June 2017, 10:48:28 »

Uh oh, tp4tissue has wandered away from the off topic sub-forum.

Ok, I'll bite but not from what you've mentioned. I quit cigs some years ago and kept the weight. I assume if you're of normal weight a lot of my problems would not be an issue for you. My skating weight has alluded me for a while now, and I'm starting a routine come Monday to change my nasty ways.

Yea,  xercise and diet are both crucial..

However,  due to how DELICIOUS modern food has become,  the majority have been able to ignore the nutritional aspect,  EVEN THOUGH, they can still count up to 2000 and stay relatively --Not Fat--..

As always,  I recommend ya'll watch either Fork over Knives  or What the Health documentary..

It might save you from heartdisease / cancer / diabetus..

Tp4 am being naggy,  Tp4 understands,  However, Tp4 considers saving your life worthwhile enough..

Offline malthusthomas

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 22:34:47 »
I use a standing desk. I bought an IKEA Jerker desk from what's essentially craigslist here. It has adjustable heights and so I set it up to standing desk specs for my situation. It's not practical to switch it to sitting and so I simply take several small breaks throughout the day where is sit down for a few minutes.

I've attached a picture I took of my desk a few months ago. Some things have changed since then but it's still a fairly good representation of my setup.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 22:57:10 »
I use a standing desk. I bought an IKEA Jerker desk from what's essentially craigslist here. It has adjustable heights and so I set it up to standing desk specs for my situation. It's not practical to switch it to sitting and so I simply take several small breaks throughout the day where is sit down for a few minutes.

I've attached a picture I took of my desk a few months ago. Some things have changed since then but it's still a fairly good representation of my setup.

You need a bigger monitor.. 38 inch 4k.   cheap chinese tvs of that size sell for $200-300 these days..  works great as monitors

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 08:19:44 »

That looks cozy! I'm currently looking at a few monitor arms with trays. They're advertised as sit and stand and they seem to move around to accommodate a decent range. Dual monitor and extra trays for things like phones, keyboards, mice, wrist rests, and assorted office supplies. Replacing the desk would be nice but I still don't trust myself to keep a sit stand in stand mode just yet.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 11:41:36 »

That looks cozy! I'm currently looking at a few monitor arms with trays. They're advertised as sit and stand and they seem to move around to accommodate a decent range. Dual monitor and extra trays for things like phones, keyboards, mice, wrist rests, and assorted office supplies. Replacing the desk would be nice but I still don't trust myself to keep a sit stand in stand mode just yet.

Don't do sit/stand.

It's a major major hassle.. no body keeps up with the --mode change--,

Do 1 sit,  1 stand..      we are so fundamentally lazy, that taking the 30 seconds to prop the stand up and down is too much..

I got a standing and a sitting right next to each other..   if i get too p00ped , i just move 6 feet and sit.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 11:53:07 »

Don't do sit/stand.

It's a major major hassle.. no body keeps up with the --mode change--,

Do 1 sit,  1 stand..      we are so fundamentally lazy, that taking the 30 seconds to prop the stand up and down is too much..

I got a standing and a sitting right next to each other..   if i get too p00ped , i just move 6 feet and sit.

I probably sit for maybe 2-3hrs per week. It would be nice to accommodate a proper sit/stand into the mix even if I don't take advantage of it

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 15:35:34 »

I probably sit for maybe 2-3hrs per week. It would be nice to accommodate a proper sit/stand into the mix even if I don't take advantage of it

Why even computer then...   go buy a horse,   do outside stuff..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 15:43:10 »

I'm not sure I understand your logic. Go buy a horse? Why would I need a horse?

Offline malthusthomas

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 16:51:11 »

It's definitely cozy. I'm in the process of getting a desk mount set up so that I can have a cleaner and more ergonomic setup (the height for the monitors currently is a just a bit too high, but the next level is too low!). Those look intriguing, though I like a nice big slab of desk to sprawl out over so they might not be for me. If you pick one up, let us know how it is and snap some pics!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 17:59:48 »

It's definitely cozy. I'm in the process of getting a desk mount set up so that I can have a cleaner and more ergonomic setup (the height for the monitors currently is a just a bit too high, but the next level is too low!). Those look intriguing, though I like a nice big slab of desk to sprawl out over so they might not be for me. If you pick one up, let us know how it is and snap some pics!

I'll certainly grab a few photos of any new setups. My current configuration is a bit of an abomination but it works nonetheless. Yea I can see that regarding the monitor arm sit stand things. Sure would make it easier to use one desk for everything imo

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 19:01:09 »

no idea..  i just assumed people who go outside lots would have a horse  , No ?

The only place you could go with a car is costco.. or popeyes fried chicken.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 19:34:44 »

no idea..  i just assumed people who go outside lots would have a horse  , No ?

The only place you could go with a car is costco.. or popeyes fried chicken.

I've never been to Costco and it's been nearly 14 years since the last time I entered a Popeyes.. You should see my ankle bulk though, whoa Momma I've got them muscles now! *whistles* hubba hubba

Offline malthusthomas

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 20:13:48 »
Maybe it's just me, but I tried Popeyes and thought it was disgusting.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 10:38:18 »
Maybe it's just me, but I tried Popeyes and thought it was disgusting.

You lie...  LIAR.. big fat liar.. 

Popeyes is the epitome of the Human xperience..

Offline Eraicos

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 15:07:05 »
leaning is still 100% of the weight through ankles, unless that lean chair has a butt cup to take some weight off..

Offline Eraicos

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 18:04:21 »
leaning is still 100% of the weight through ankles, unless that lean chair has a butt cup to take some weight off..

No, it's not. Some of the weight is distributed on the back. I'd read your first message before you edited it and I think you were right.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 18:20:05 »
I think the point of a standing desk to improve circulation by 'moving around' as you go about with whatever it is that you go about with. LeanChair seems to subtract the 'moving around' aspect of standing. Just a thought.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 19:15:53 »

No, it's not. Some of the weight is distributed on the back. I'd read your first message before you edited it and I think you were right.

No

it was wrong..  the FFrictionfloor and Fwall cancels out,  therefore all of FNormal goes through the ankles.

The only slight lightening would be the slight friction against the wall,  but this is miniscule, less than 1% would be reduced.

But if you had a Butt Cup,  it would be much less.  but I can't tell if that thing has a butt cup.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 19:49:38 »
*is

Offline Eraicos

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 06:45:09 »

No

it was wrong..  the FFrictionfloor and Fwall cancels out,  therefore all of FNormal goes through the ankles.

The only slight lightening would be the slight friction against the wall,  but this is miniscule, less than 1% would be reduced.

But if you had a Butt Cup,  it would be much less.  but I can't tell if that thing has a butt cup.

I don't think so. If the angle was increased progressibly it would reduce the strain on the knees and eventually it would become a bed, so, some weight is reduced. In the kickstarter page they say that they have used it for long time and it reduces the strain and is comfortable. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any review or commentary of people who have used it.

Another option could be to install a treadmill floor to keep walking on the place.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 14:17:26 »

No

I don't think so. If the angle was increased progressibly it would reduce the strain on the knees and eventually it would become a bed, so, some weight is reduced. In the kickstarter page they say that they have used it for long time and it reduces the strain and is comfortable. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any review or commentary of people who have used it.

Another option could be to install a treadmill floor to keep walking on the place.

Or, don't lean and shift your feet around from time to time. It would be so much easier to use a automagical sit/stand desk and keep a chair handy.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 16:21:05 »
I'm getting an adjustable height desk at the office. :confused:
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 16:41:43 »

Automatic?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 04:58:11 »

Automatic?

Yes, as in, when I hold button its goes up/down.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 05:04:01 »
Man I'd love to have this in the office.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 08:14:00 »

Automatic?

Nice, I'm kinda jealous. I'm currently using a plastic shelf that I can move off the desk. Ghetto maybe but serves the same purpose as most place on desk options.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 08:27:41 »

Automatic?

Nice, I'm kinda jealous. I'm currently using a plastic shelf that I can move off the desk. Ghetto maybe but serves the same purpose as most place on desk options.

Yeah well.. Personally, I really don't like standing desks. It feels like being in the pub when I'm standing behind my desk, I don't know. Weird. Perhaps I should get used to it, and soon I can.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 08:30:31 »
Tp4 Standing desk 8 hrs everyday..

+ 100% Veggies @ 10% fats.

= immortanTp4....

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 08:35:50 »

Automatic?

Yeah well.. Personally, I really don't like standing desks. It feels like being in the pub when I'm standing behind my desk, I don't know. Weird. Perhaps I should get used to it, and soon I can.

I've stood at packed bars a couple times in sFL. Feels like a house party without all the shenanigans--I can see how that could get old quickly.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 08:39:00 »
If possible, You'd want a SOFT rubber mat , and either barefoot, or Slippers.

Shoes generally compresses ones feet unnaturally,  and may significantly reduce standing duration.

Your feet is meant to spread out to stabilize you, and the bones are not meant to be compacted laterally.

You could have a pair of slippers for your cubical , and wear shoes when you leave..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 09:01:21 »
You would want shoes that a bit wider than your normal shoes (if you can't wear.. slippers..). As I've mentioned before, feet swell. Use a standing desk long enough your feet will 'grow' horizontally.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 14:39:51 »
If possible, You'd want a SOFT rubber mat , and either barefoot, or Slippers.

Shoes generally compresses ones feet unnaturally,  and may significantly reduce standing duration.

Your feet is meant to spread out to stabilize you, and the bones are not meant to be compacted laterally.

You could have a pair of slippers for your cubical , and wear shoes when you leave..

I mean ffs.. "standing desk is better, you only need to change frequently, preferable move on a sitting cylcle, have a soft mat, have soft shoes, have wide shoes, also walk in between"

It's like "it is better in all ways, you only need to change everything coz it's better than sitting"

I think it is hype. Sitting at desk, but keeping posture AND changing position and walking every half hour (which will happen anyway if you drink cofee and thus needs to get coffee and pee) is still best.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 17:27:08 »

I mean ffs.. "standing desk is better, you only need to change frequently, preferable move on a sitting cylcle, have a soft mat, have soft shoes, have wide shoes, also walk in between"

It's like "it is better in all ways, you only need to change everything coz it's better than sitting"

I think it is hype. Sitting at desk, but keeping posture AND changing position and walking every half hour (which will happen anyway if you drink cofee and thus needs to get coffee and pee) is still best.

Always standing could be just as bad as always sitting.

But , overall,  Sitting  is something like wearing a corset..