Author Topic: [SOLD] Dasher D200 Terminal w/ Keyboard up for auction starting at $399 on eBay  (Read 6323 times)

Offline ekeppel

I think the last one of these on eBay went for $525, so based on that, the starting price is what it is, I guess.  Maybe an opportunity for someone who missed out last time, though (i.e. the second highest bidder, lol).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Data-General-Dasher-D200-Monitor-Terminal-Mechanical-Keyboard-Blue-/182741988667

These old terminals are really quite beautiful.  Now if only someone would list a bunch of them for $50 each or something I think we would all be quite happy. :-D

177276-0
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 September 2017, 04:22:41 by ekeppel »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: Dasher D-200 Terminal with Keyboard up for auction starting at $399 on eBay
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 04:14:30 »
Oh man, fohat.digs has always wanted one of these. If I had that kind of discretionary dough, I'd buy him one as a present. They sure are lovely.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:23:00 »
****, expensive again. I just want the keyboard, but not for a small fortune D: .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 19:33:00 »
****, expensive again. I just want the keyboard, but not for a small fortune D: .

Yep. Unfortunately, supply and demand, dude.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 03:14:22 »

Yep. Unfortunately, supply and demand, dude.
It's the evil computer collector people. They pay through the nose for whole computer systems, driving up the prices for us good keyboard collecting folk :p .

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 04:55:50 »
Indeed, what's wrong with those guys? Don't they realize that the keyboards (and in this case, monitors) are the only parts of computers worth saving? Make salad bars and stuff out of the rest, I say. Okay, I'm saying that because I'm a piano player, and I've seen great old upright pianos turned into salad bars. But you probably knew that.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 17:20:46 »
It's too bad original Dashers are beyond the reach of most of us. We've had SA key sets (not "caps"; that's an IBM thing) made in the beautiful Dasher colourway. But wouldn't it be awesome if someone produced a replica Dasher board with a modern layout and interface? Nothing else has that look, does it?

177552-0

177554-1

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 01:57:58 »
From what I understood those SA caps are now also outside the reach of most of us xD . Still the originals were amazing, I so want a Dasher xD .

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 19:25:08 »
From what I understood those SA caps are now also outside the reach of most of us xD...

Yes—there's a federal regulation that all repro SA key sets (not "caps", BTW; that refers to 2-part IBM keys) may not be sold for under $100 (enough of them to equip a real keeb, I mean, not one of those cutesy super-minis where you have to hold three keys to move your cursor). This is so only wealthy and/or unmarried people can purchase them, because they're the only people who deserve them.

Offline cmc

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 00:11:15 »
You'll be happy to know that I bought it, so it's in the keyboard community.  ;)  I'd expected to get outbid at the last minute (like just about every auction I've ever bid on), but apparently not this time.  I'm kind of hoping that it will work as a terminal, but we'll see!

Offline ekeppel

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 06:26:56 »
You'll be happy to know that I bought it, so it's in the keyboard community.  ;)  I'd expected to get outbid at the last minute (like just about every auction I've ever bid on), but apparently not this time.  I'm kind of hoping that it will work as a terminal, but we'll see!

:thumb:

Nice to know that someone here in the community managed to snag it.  After it arrives, I'm sure many of us would love a few detailed photos and/or maybe a short video showing the terminal (and especially the keyboard) in use. ;D

Offline cmc

I’ll see what I can do. Life just got a bit more complicated than I was expecting it to get.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Uh-oh, wife found out?  :?)

Offline cmc

No, work stuff.  Wife is fine with it. 

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Wow, does she have any sisters?