Author Topic: Originative Mod-M Switches -- your thoughts?  (Read 7594 times)

Offline tokyowifi

Originative Mod-M Switches -- your thoughts?
« on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 01:15:56 »
I'm really interested in these switches but cannot find any good information on them. So, I'm turning to geekhack! What are your thoughts on the mod m switches? How do these switches compare to Mx linear switches? Are the switches at all wobbly? Thanks!

Offline HotRoderX

Re: Originative Mod-M Switches -- your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 01:29:24 »
Mod-M's as far as I know come in two versions Liner and Tactile. I own a set of the Tactile in a Saber 68 and I do really like the switches and there really smooth to me. Compared to my cherry MX clear's its night and day when it comes to overall smoothness and feel as far as weight goes. That being said the Mod-M's have a extreme amount of wobble. The wobble is close to enough to be slightly worry some. They have far far more wobble then my Gateron blacks. Overall I like the switches a lot and will continue to use them and enjoy them just be aware they do wobble and which version your getting.

Offline tokyowifi

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 01:48:26 »
the Mod-M's have a extreme amount of wobble. The wobble is close to enough to be slightly worry some.

Yikes! I hope a few other comments can clarify your comment. Perhaps you got a bad batch?

As these keys are (relatively) still new, I struggle waiving the possibility of QA issues. Still, I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that QA issues are the norm with these switches. Not good.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 01:53:15 »
from what I could find on them I knew going in they be a fair bit more wobbly then cherry's but wasn't expecting the wobble I got.  This is a pretty good write up of the switches from Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/563ql4/review_initial_thoughts_on_the_modl_and_modm/

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 02:16:55 »
I recently replaced my cherry clears with mod-m tactile switches. I don't really notice the wobble as much I guess. I really like the 'pop' of these compared to other MX tactile switches that I use regularly (cherry clears, zealios, 67g gat browns). I did some minor tuning to them (lube/oil/stickers) but generally they are a well made switch and I recommend them.

« Last Edit: Sun, 24 September 2017, 02:18:52 by OfTheWild »
-Dana

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 10:01:45 »
For some reason I am enjoying SA profile on them more than Cherry or DSA,  usually I like lighter keycaps on tactile.
Typing is fingers stuck in mud except in a good way.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 14:12:07 »
I find browns too smooth to be a good tactile switch. A good tactile switch, imo, needs a defined bump just before actuation, and browns are anything but that. I say that because the tactile Mod-M's have been said to be closer to browns than clears, which I think is the exact opposite of what it should of been going for. The wobbliness just adds salt to the wound :( That is what discouraged me from seeking them out, but I cannot speak personally on them, just my thoughts.

I really liked zealios switches if you are looking for improved tactility in a switch weighted like browns(they are actually modded clears), and I can endorse them, but I cannot recommend those either really unless the price comes down. Might as well grab alps at that price.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 September 2017, 14:18:59 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 14:30:51 »
They're a favorite on the Korean forums. I used them for a little bit at meetups, they're VERY nice.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 21:16:43 »
This kinda makes me wonder if I just got a super wobbly batch? Are perhaps I just don't know whats obsessive wobble is

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 22:49:23 »
This kinda makes me wonder if I just got a super wobbly batch? Are perhaps I just don't know whats obsessive wobble is
Mine are pretty wobbly, especially with the bigger non stabilized keys.

Offline Dead Encryption

• Dead...
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 08:47:05 »
I'm getting these with my Exent order that's supposed to come next month. I've heard mixed things about them as well but hoping I don't have too much wobble. My favorite caps to use are SA so I will see how they fair. Probably going to be using the GMK set that comes with it for a bit at first though. The question I have is, do stickers help at all with the wobble? Or is it just an extra niche? I have Zealio 67g but didn't lube or sticker them and they feel fine to me.

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 09:15:29 »
I wonder who is the manufacturer of these, since originative just relables everything (like enjoypbt, or maxkey) as MOD-something.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 11:53:08 »
I wonder who is the manufacturer of these, since originative just relables everything (like enjoypbt, or maxkey) as MOD-something.

It's not gateron, if that's what you're asking.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 12:20:53 »
I like MOD-M switches. To me, they feel slightly more tactile than 67g Zealios, but are not as smooth.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 19:26:48 »
I find browns too smooth to be a good tactile switch. A good tactile switch, imo, needs a defined bump just before actuation, and browns are anything but that. I say that because the tactile Mod-M's have been said to be closer to browns than clears, which I think is the exact opposite of what it should of been going for. The wobbliness just adds salt to the wound :( That is what discouraged me from seeking them out, but I cannot speak personally on them, just my thoughts.

I really liked zealios switches if you are looking for improved tactility in a switch weighted like browns(they are actually modded clears), and I can endorse them, but I cannot recommend those either really unless the price comes down. Might as well grab alps at that price.

You should probably grab a switch tester of an assortment of all the tactile switches out there. I think you will find that very few are comparative to MX or Gateron Browns.

There are definitely some unique ones to try and weigh in on. Kailh and Outemu have made some pretty funky switches lately that are a cool change.

-Dana

Offline obviouslygene

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 02:45:07 »
 I don't know if it's relevant to what you are asking.
I'm on MOD-Hs and for the larger non stabilized keys they are slightly wobbly.
But I love the feel of these over the clears.