Author Topic: IBM Model M SSK on ebay  (Read 7248 times)

Offline totallycaked

• You wouldn't like me when I'm angry
IBM Model M SSK on ebay
« on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 14:53:15 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-PS-2-Keyboard-vintage-Clicky-/272887478404?hash=item3f895c7884:g:4PYAAOSwjoVZ4j35

Just found this auction, 6 days left and 0 bids at 29.99 - I may snipe this once I get paid in 6 days :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 October 2017, 14:56:38 by totallycaked »

Offline totallycaked

Re: IBM Model M SSK on ebay
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 15:04:33 »
Looks like the last one sold for $250 so this may be a steal if the bids stay low

Offline ekeppel

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 15:06:30 »
Yeah, I bought and paid for this same keyboard earlier this afternoon as a buy-it-now at that price.  Not long after, the seller canceled the transaction and refunded my money.  The reason they gave eBay for canceling was "item is out of stock / damaged".

A few minutes later, they relisted it, but this time as an auction.  Not cool.

I contacted them and they didn't have a believable explanation to give me, so they're getting a neg fb. :-(

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 15:09:38 »
Yeah, I bought and paid for this same keyboard earlier this afternoon as a buy-it-now at that price.  Not long after, the seller canceled the transaction and refunded my money.  The reason they gave eBay for canceling was "item is out of stock / damaged".

A few minutes later, they relisted it, but this time as an auction.  Not cool.

I contacted them and they didn't have a believable explanation to give me, so they're getting a neg fb. :-(

Damn, that really sucks considering you purchased and it went through.
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline totallycaked

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 15:12:19 »
Ouch... I don't like that sellers aren't really punished for doing that. I bought a fitbit a few years back for an unbelievable price, but right after I paid for it the seller refunded the invoice and said the item was "out of stock" then relisted it for a much higher price.

Pretty shady but I guess once they realize they are about to lose ~100$ on a sale they don't even think twice about cancelling it. They should be penalized in the form of fees or something IDK...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 17:38:05 »

I bought and paid for this same keyboard

the seller canceled the transaction and refunded my money. 

A few minutes later, they relisted it, but this time as an auction.

Negative feedback is not enough.

You should lodge a formal written complaint with ebay. Do it quickly, they give 24-48 hour time frames for responses, and you want it locked in before the auction period is over.

If you are extremely lucky, ebay may pressure them to honor the original sale.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 01:18:58 »
There are terminal SSKs?

Also this one has the numpad legends on the front of the keycaps, both of mine have the numpad legends in small letters (well, digits) on teh top of the keycaps, and page up/down etc. on the sides.  Is that a terminal thing?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline subcat

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 01:56:24 »
There are terminal SSKs?

Also this one has the numpad legends on the front of the keycaps, both of mine have the numpad legends in small letters (well, digits) on teh top of the keycaps, and page up/down etc. on the sides.  Is that a terminal thing?
Terminal SSKs do in fact exist!
https://deskthority.net/resources/image/18088

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 03:04:38 »
Thanks for drawing this rare board to my attention. I've just added it to Wikipedia's Model M variant list—mostly because I live in the suburbs and don't have a whole lot else to do, but still.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ekeppel

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 09:07:45 »
Negative feedback is not enough.

You should lodge a formal written complaint with ebay. Do it quickly, they give 24-48 hour time frames for responses, and you want it locked in before the auction period is over.

If you are extremely lucky, ebay may pressure them to honor the original sale.

Thanks for the support.  I did contact eBay, but from the way the conversation went, I suspect there is little they will do.  At least I was able to report the seller, and they are going to open an investigation into the situation. 

If the seller had chosen 'incorrect price' as the reason for the cancellation instead of 'item is out of stock / damaged', I would not feel so bad, since accidents do happen.  However, since they outright lied to me and eBay about their reasons for cancelling the transaction, perhaps whoever investigates this case at eBay will notice this and at least ding the seller with a strike against their account.

As of this post, bidding on that keyboard is over $100, so unfortunately it seems this seller will be rewarded for their lies.  :(

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 21:32:34 »
Wow I feel really bad for bidding it up to $50 (what I thought they were worth last I checked). Are SSK prices up in general or is it another SSK bubble like we had back in '12. I may have to take advantage of that and sell some of mine.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 10:50:11 »
Terrible how ebay sellers do this on top of the already shady stuff that goes on there.  I hope more of this type of behavior is brought to light.  Then maybe something will change.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 19:45:57 »
Wow I feel really bad for bidding it up to $50 (what I thought they were worth last I checked). Are SSK prices up in general or is it another SSK bubble like we had back in '12...

It's easy enough to get a general idea: Do an eBay search, then click "Sold listings" in the options at the left. Here's what I got.

Of course those are for regular SSKs, not terminals like this. If the same logic holds as with full-size Model M's, this terminal version should bring substantially less. At the same time, though, terminal SSKs are rarer, so it may be more complicated... I've given up trying to understand collectors's minds.

Terrible how ebay sellers do this on top of the already shady stuff that goes on there.  I hope more of this type of behavior is brought to light.  Then maybe something will change.

Yeah, it's pretty crappy. I'm guessing it's happened to many of us.

A few months ago, I won and paid for a new Korean Topre knockoff for around $75. Then the seller must've realized Westerners were paying nearly twice as much, for they claimed they'd "misplaced" my board in their warehouse. They said I could wait till they found it, or have my money back. I chose to wait.

Weeks went by. Nothing. Then the same seller started listing the same keyboards at higher prices. I complained, but they ignored me. I finally contacted eBay—but even though the seller was clearly unscrupulous, they said all they could do was cancel the sale and have the seller return my dough. So that's what we did, as I'm sure I would've waited forever otherwise.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 00:02:04 »

Yeah, it's pretty crappy. I'm guessing it's happened to many of us.

A few months ago, I won and paid for a new Korean Topre knockoff for around $75. Then the seller must've realized Westerners were paying nearly twice as much, for they claimed they'd "misplaced" my board in their warehouse. They said I could wait till they found it, or have my money back. I chose to wait.

Weeks went by. Nothing. Then the same seller started listing the same keyboards at higher prices. I complained, but they ignored me. I finally contacted eBay—but even though the seller was clearly unscrupulous, they said all they could do was cancel the sale and have the seller return my dough. So that's what we did, as I'm sure I would've waited forever otherwise.
And that's absolutely not right.  Buyers remorse is one thing, but seller's remorse? 

The terms say don't bid unless you plan to buy as a bid is a binding contract.  If the bids are held to this standard, so should the listings.

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 10:00:45 »
Just a bump, there's 2 hours left and this board is at $102.50. If you want to roll the dice with this seller and try for a Terminal SSK.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 11:55:28 »
$157.50
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 16:11:24 »
Anyone here get it?  Not a terrible price for an SSK.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 20:49:35 »
$157.50

Only 10 bids too - has demand on these dropped?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 15:42:57 »
Maybe because it was the terminal edition?

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 15:43:13 »
edition, lol!  I meant model.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 19:12:33 »
Maybe because it was the terminal edition? ... edition, lol!  I meant model.

Samir, "Edition"—or "version" or "variant" or "flavor" or whatever—are actually better than "model". Traditionally, we avoid referring to various Model M's and F's as "models" because "Model" is already in the name. (You're smarter than you realized! But then, aren't we all?)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 23:09:31 »
Maybe because it was the terminal edition? ... edition, lol!  I meant model.

Samir, "Edition"—or "version" or "variant" or "flavor" or whatever—are actually better than "model". Traditionally, we avoid referring to various Model M's and F's as "models" because "Model" is already in the name. (You're smarter than you realized! But then, aren't we all?)
Ah yes, I subconsciously must have known that the Model M SSK Model would have sounded like part of a run-on phrase...Model M SSK Model M SSK Model M SSK Model... :))

I like variant the best.  I think that's the right word for me.  :cool:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 02:13:28 »
I like variant the best.  I think that's the right word for me...

I dunno, it always reminds me of "deviant". We purists usually stick with Big Blue's preferred term: part number.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 22:22:00 »
I like variant the best.  I think that's the right word for me...

I dunno, it always reminds me of "deviant". We purists usually stick with Big Blue's preferred term: part number.
hahaha!  I didn't think of it that way until you mentioned it!  :))  Part number it is.  :thumb: