Author Topic: [IC] Ares HHKB-like Custom Keyboard (GB Soon..)  (Read 41386 times)

Offline kenlee

Re: [IC] Ares HHKB-like Custom Keyboard
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 19:11:20 »
With a name like Ares, I think it should have a much more badass weight design. I wish the front corners of the case had a more aggressive angle, like the X60, rather than the curve they have know. Bottom of the board looks great though.

Thanks for your comments  :thumb:

I have shrunk the angles of 4 corners on top case to make it be more consistent with whole style and they all will be shown in update Ares. So it will be more aggressive than the prototype.   

I know it's a masculine style board but i don't want it looks too solid or rigid. If you can look into the details of the board in my imgur you can find i use many tiny angel of chamfer and Radius on top and bottom case. You cant hardly find pure right angel in Ares and it truly moderate the feeling of the board and even you touch the lines of the board you will also feel comfortable rather than the feeling of cutting hands.

Offline kenlee

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 22:36:30 »
changes :

• redesign two sides of the bottom case
    • shrink angles of 4 corners on top case
    • Lower the front height of the case
    • add 4 indents for rubber feet on the bottom 

Also update in IC Content

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 12:49:54 »
I also agree the weight design / font should change. It’s not that bad or anything, but when I see it all I think of is:

Offline Marutks

Re: [IC] Ares HHKB layout Custom Keyboard
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 08:47:22 »
2. I'm open to the 4th color discussion here so fell free to leave your preferences here.

I would love to get this case in Black color!  And Brass plate, please

Offline Yeols

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 03:17:46 »
when will its drop start?rt? 
shut up and take my money ;D
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 October 2017, 03:21:43 by Yeols »

Offline kenlee

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 06:37:58 »
2. I'm open to the 4th color discussion here so fell free to leave your preferences here.

I might add black color to the options

If the update prototype is done without any problem of compatibility or specification, I'll run a group buy ASAP.  ^-^ 

Offline kwyryn

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 09:40:02 »
i would like to see silver as one of the color options, but otherwise cool looking board
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 October 2017, 10:38:59 by kwyryn »

Offline lanyusea

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 00:39:14 »
count me in!
HHKB Type-s / 4x KMAC Happy / 3x Duck Viper v1 / 2x Duck Viper v2 / 4x Duck Viper Duck TCV3 / Red Scarf 77 / 2x Infinity 60 / 2x ALF HHKB / LZ-CE / FJELL / Canoe / Canoe PC / Canoe FE / ARES Prototype / 2x Ares / LC-CLSh / TX60 / YODA2 / E6-V2 / E6-V2 FE / CAMP LC60 / 2x EM 7 / 4x Leaf 60 / UHK / Project F / Polaris / 4x Duck Viper v3 / TX60 v2 / Thermal / Matrix Falcon / TX60 v3 / 2x TMO50 / 2x Dolice / Dolphin 65 / Dolphin 60 / Plenty of keycaps

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 00:40:58 »

Black and silver are staples. I recommend adding them both.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 01:05:19 »

If the update prototype is done without any problem of compatibility or specification, I'll run a group buy ASAP.  ^-^

Is the new prototype of the second picture in the original post, or of the changes you’re making (from a few posts up). :)

Offline gutsack

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 16:37:45 »
Very interested.

Offline kenlee

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 09:37:44 »
Is the new prototype of the second picture in the original post, or of the changes you’re making (from a few posts up). :)

Hi guys

Sorry for the late response cuz i'm busy and reworked on this case till i figure it out

Here are some pics for ur reference and i'll explain what changed

More pics: https://imgur.com/a/A46jV

1. Add 4 indents for rubber feets
2. Lower the front height from 23.xmm to 20.xmm
3. Shrink angles of 4 corners on top case from 5.80mm radius to 3.00mm, so it has a more aggressive angle than original. 
4. Redesign two sides of the bottom case

As for the color options i'll open Black, Drak Gray, Drak Purple, Red, and white

I'm going to order a dark purple prototype and once i get it and if without any problems i'll run gb soon. 

« Last Edit: Sat, 04 November 2017, 19:13:13 by kenlee »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 11:03:37 »
 Nice work on this.  I actually preferred the original radius, but this is still a great looking case. Will you have plates that color match?  If not, please offer a black plate :)

Offline Myan

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 17:31:25 »

Hi guys

Sorry for the late response cuz i'm busy and reworked on this case till i figure it out

Show Image

Show Image

3. Shrink angles of 4 corners on top case from 5.80mm radius to 3.00mm, so it has a more aggressive angle than original. 

As for the color options i'll open Black, Drak Gray, Drak Purple, Red, and white

I'm going to order a dark purple prototype and once i get it and if without any problems i'll run gb soon. 

I really like the feeling of the side, shut up and take my money!

Offline lanyusea

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 22:47:29 »

Hi guys

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

any option for a usb port in middle position?
HHKB Type-s / 4x KMAC Happy / 3x Duck Viper v1 / 2x Duck Viper v2 / 4x Duck Viper Duck TCV3 / Red Scarf 77 / 2x Infinity 60 / 2x ALF HHKB / LZ-CE / FJELL / Canoe / Canoe PC / Canoe FE / ARES Prototype / 2x Ares / LC-CLSh / TX60 / YODA2 / E6-V2 / E6-V2 FE / CAMP LC60 / 2x EM 7 / 4x Leaf 60 / UHK / Project F / Polaris / 4x Duck Viper v3 / TX60 v2 / Thermal / Matrix Falcon / TX60 v3 / 2x TMO50 / 2x Dolice / Dolphin 65 / Dolphin 60 / Plenty of keycaps

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 23:35:51 »

Hi guys

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Nice, you made the plate changes! Good stuff, Ken! I can’t wait to see the Dark Purple. I’m sure it’ll be beautiful.

19mm at the front might be the sweet spot, IMO. If you can achieve that, it would be awesome. ;)

Offline ayumi971235111

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 00:04:19 »
After Adjustment parameters
I am getting more certain on my choice.
I really want to buy Ares !!

Offline kenlee

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 03:24:10 »
Nice work on this.  I actually preferred the original radius, but this is still a great looking case. Will you have plates that color match?  If not, please offer a black plate :)

Thanks for ur comment. There are many line shapes around the bottom and sides and in order to get consistency of the board so i change the top corner radius to match it.

Offline kenlee

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 03:24:44 »
I really like the feeling of the side, shut up and take my money!

After Adjustment parameters
I am getting more certain on my choice.
I really want to buy Ares !!

Many thanks to you both and i'll apply myself to this project and give you all the best quality.  ;)

Offline kenlee

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 03:28:59 »

any option for a usb port in middle position?

Sorry the middle usb port cant allow many 60% pcbs to use unless we adopt a custom pcb for it.  :(

Offline kenlee

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 04:07:30 »

Nice, you made the plate changes! Good stuff, Ken! I can’t wait to see the Dark Purple. I’m sure it’ll be beautiful.

19mm at the front might be the sweet spot, IMO. If you can achieve that, it would be awesome. ;)

Thanks a lots for reminding the issues of plate might happen and hope it can be compatible with more 60% pcbs.

As for the dark purple here is a pic for ur reference- the marking purple 

And the front height of the case I've tried my best to lower and if with more lower height there will have problems of structure although i've put a ditch design one the bottom :confused:
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 November 2017, 04:14:53 by kenlee »

Offline Yklee

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 07:21:23 »
This is very nice!! I'm in!!!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 November 2017, 07:30:17 by Yklee »

Offline pvd

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 22:36:15 »
Corners on the new renders are looking much better! I like it! :thumb:

Offline hitlu

• [LF] Ogres and Colonel
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 00:33:17 »
cool board, in
Colonel or Ogre

Offline DJSwayde

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 11:37:54 »
This looks great!
Mains: Bakers CL64 (silver)   |   CannonKeys Bakeneko60 (black)   |   Carolina Mech Palmetto (black)   |   LSJ Ares (silver)   |   LZ CLS h (silver)   |   Monokei Kei R1 (standard red, HHKB)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 1 (PD-KB300BN)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (PD-KB400B)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (PD-KB400WS)   |   SINGAKBD x TGR Unikorn R1 (black)   |   Weaston GSKT-00 R1 (gray [re-anodized silver, HHKB])   |   Weaston GSKT-00-Z (silver, AEK HHKB)

Alps: Apple Extended Keyboard II (M3501, Taiwanese)   |   Apple Standard Keyboard (M0116, US)   |   Dell AT101 (GYI3PVAT101, US)    |   IBM Multistation 5556-001 (Chinese)   |   IBM P70 (ANSI-US, 06-89)   |   MET Micro Officer 6000 (R315-00)   |   SGI AT-101 "Beige"   |   Zenith Data Systems TurbosPORT 386
Cherry: G80-3000LPCXY-2 #1   |   G80-3000LPCXY-2 #2   |   G80-3485LWNUS #1 (Das Keyboard II)   |   G80-3485LWNUS #2 (Das Keyboard II)   |   G81-1281SAW (Zenith Data Systems)   |   G81-3000SAT   |   G81-3090SAQ (Schneider)   |   G81-3100SEBUS
Topre: PFU Limited HHKB Blank (charcoal [PD-KB300BN])   |   PFU Limited HHKB Printed (charcoal [PD-KB400B])   |   PFU Limited HHKB Printed (gray [PD-KB400WS])   |   Realforce 91UDK-G (NG02B0)   |   Realforce 103UB (SE42B0)   |   Realforce Taiwanese kit (dark gray)   |   Sony BKE-9400A   |   Sony MKS-8050

Collection

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 13:05:37 »
20.x mm front is pretty good. Thanks for lowering
keyboards.

Offline wanewang

Re: [IC] Ares HHKB-like Custom Keyboard (New prototype is in process)
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 23:16:56 »
can't wait to see the new prototype coming out!!!

but my wallet need to wait... :-\

Offline lanyusea

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 13:14:46 »
Thanks Ken for sending me the prototype of ARES!

182385-0

I compare it with Duck Viper / Kmac Happy / ALF X2

The surface is quite smooth like a baby face, much better than Duck/Kmac, even same as the MAO surface.

182387-1

Then I use the light to check the surface and be sure it is anodizing. (MAO will not reflect light since its surface is full of tiny holes).

Ken told me the factory polish all surface and use tiny sands to do the process of sandblast.

The surface feels better than any other other custom keebs I have. I will join the GB once it open!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 14:14:50 »

(Attachment Link)

The surface is quite smooth like a baby face, much better than Duck/Kmac, even same as the MAO surface.

(Attachment Link)

Then I use the light to check the surface and be sure it is anodizing. (MAO will not reflect light since its surface is full of tiny holes).

Ken told me the factory polish all surface and use tiny sands to do the process of sandblast.

The surface feels better than any other other custom keebs I have. I will join the GB once it open!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Looks GREAT
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 23:48:46 »
It looks quite stunning.  I want one! 

Offline kenlee

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 20:41:08 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Big thank to your sharing  :thumb:

I know you collect many boards so it would be better or be subjective for you to compare

I will upload some pics of purple prototype later and update some gb news include price, delivery, and so on

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 22:40:27 »
There are so many Custom HHKB IC's up right now x__x I totally forgot about this beaut. It seems to be the lowest profile of all the other choices with the 20mm front as well... :)

Would the second purple underneath the dark purple be considered "midnight purple"? That'd be interesting and original!
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 December 2017, 22:47:25 by Vadurr »

Offline kenlee

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 00:26:08 »
Alright sorry for the long waiting

I got purple prototype last week and assembled it soon

Prototype are done well by the update file i forwarded to except one place

Factory miss input the 4 indents for rubber feet of the bottom on their cnc computer :-\ But they promise it wont happen again in gb

Here we go...

More pics here: https://imgur.com/a/gV8cz

« Last Edit: Mon, 11 December 2017, 01:02:06 by kenlee »

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 00:28:39 »
Alright sorry for the long waiting

I got purple prototype last week and assembled it soon

Prototype are done well by the update file i forwarded to except one place

Factory miss input the 4 indents for rubber feet of the bottom on their cnc computer :-\ But they promise it wont happen again in gb

Here we go...

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

More pics here: https://imgur.com/a/gV8cz

Well this is an Instabuy forsure now... BRAVO KENLEE!!! :thumb:

Offline Marutks

Re: [IC] Ares HHKB-like Custom Keyboard (GB Soon..)
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 06:19:39 »
looks awesome   :thumb:     

Offline kenlee

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 06:29:41 »
Tbh the purple prototype is lighter than color card i assigned so i'll ask factory to make it more accurate in gb

BTW, anyone interested in this army green color   

« Last Edit: Mon, 11 December 2017, 21:10:47 by kenlee »

Offline lanyusea

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 09:12:53 »
Tbh the purple prototype is lighter than color card i assigned so i'll ask factory to make it more right in gb

BTW, anyone interested in this army green color   

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

wow I like this one!

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 10:26:19 »
This is too pretty. Totally in for it if the price is reasonable.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 10:56:58 »

A machined case out of a full block of aluminum cannot have a "reasonable" price, at all.

Offline Marutks

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 12:09:07 »
real keyboard enthusiasts don't mind to pay whetever they want for a nice case  :-)

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 12:10:44 »

A machined case out of a full block of aluminum cannot have a "reasonable" price, at all.

On GH, reasonable means sub-400 bucks for 60 alu case.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline fractl

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 12:33:19 »
The purple is very beautiful, even if it is not quite as dark as intended.   :thumb:

Do you have any idea if the PCBs will be holtite-friendly?  The mounting hole diameter for the commonly used holtites is 0.058" (1.47mm).

I would like to make my next build hot-swappable.  If the pcb isn't holtite-friendly, I assume I could use a universal 60% pcb that has been proven to work with holtites in this, correct?

Offline luismonterieart

• https://miluxkey.com
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 12:42:02 »
Been waiting for something like this for a while now - definitely can count me in!
 :p
Explore our world at

· Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MiluxKey

Offline DJSwayde

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 13:15:48 »
You said that there will be underglow support. Will the case have an acrylic diffuser?
Mains: Bakers CL64 (silver)   |   CannonKeys Bakeneko60 (black)   |   Carolina Mech Palmetto (black)   |   LSJ Ares (silver)   |   LZ CLS h (silver)   |   Monokei Kei R1 (standard red, HHKB)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 1 (PD-KB300BN)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (PD-KB400B)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (PD-KB400WS)   |   SINGAKBD x TGR Unikorn R1 (black)   |   Weaston GSKT-00 R1 (gray [re-anodized silver, HHKB])   |   Weaston GSKT-00-Z (silver, AEK HHKB)

Alps: Apple Extended Keyboard II (M3501, Taiwanese)   |   Apple Standard Keyboard (M0116, US)   |   Dell AT101 (GYI3PVAT101, US)    |   IBM Multistation 5556-001 (Chinese)   |   IBM P70 (ANSI-US, 06-89)   |   MET Micro Officer 6000 (R315-00)   |   SGI AT-101 "Beige"   |   Zenith Data Systems TurbosPORT 386
Cherry: G80-3000LPCXY-2 #1   |   G80-3000LPCXY-2 #2   |   G80-3485LWNUS #1 (Das Keyboard II)   |   G80-3485LWNUS #2 (Das Keyboard II)   |   G81-1281SAW (Zenith Data Systems)   |   G81-3000SAT   |   G81-3090SAQ (Schneider)   |   G81-3100SEBUS
Topre: PFU Limited HHKB Blank (charcoal [PD-KB300BN])   |   PFU Limited HHKB Printed (charcoal [PD-KB400B])   |   PFU Limited HHKB Printed (gray [PD-KB400WS])   |   Realforce 91UDK-G (NG02B0)   |   Realforce 103UB (SE42B0)   |   Realforce Taiwanese kit (dark gray)   |   Sony BKE-9400A   |   Sony MKS-8050

Collection

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 20:35:56 »
Hot damn that army green is awesome as well...

Offline pvd

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 21:15:54 »
New prototype looks fantastic. The army green color also looks wonderful.

I hope that this doesn't end up running at the same time as the LZ s x h though.

Offline kenlee

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 21:25:09 »
Been waiting for something like this for a while now - definitely can count me in!

Thanks for ur support  :)

You said that there will be underglow support. Will the case have an acrylic diffuser?

Nah, no acrylic diffuser design for the case

The reason i adopt pcb with underglow rgb is this pcb is supplier's common model and tiny cost difference between none rgb.

wow I like this one!

I hope that this doesn't end up running at the same time as the LZ s x h though.

Army green will be added to the color options of gb.  :)     

and i know it might not be a good time to run the gb before christmas cuz it seems most people are running out their budget of gifts  :D

Any suggestion about when will be comfortable for you to join the gb? 
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 December 2017, 21:27:08 by kenlee »

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 21:48:27 »

The reason i adopt pcb with underglow rgb is this pcb is supplier's common model and tiny cost difference between none rgb.

wow I like this one!

and i know it might not be a good time to run the gb before christmas cuz it seems most people are running out their budget of gifts  :D

I'm going to be an oddball and say ASAP.

Offline lanyusea

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 22:02:20 »

wow I like this one!

This is my Christmas gift :p

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 22:27:36 »

wow I like this one!

I really REALLY hope you wait. I'd say at least mid-January, but might make sense to wait until feb since there are a few big GB that will land in Jan timeframe I think. Mid Jan gives everyone at least 1-2 paychecks after Christmas for recuperation tho. Given lots of people pay rent on the 1st, early Jan could be tight.

I really really like that green though, so as long as I am not tied up in too many other things I do plan to try and get one of these.

I'd also say pricing is important in determining how important timing is. If you launched this now, but the entire kit was SOMEHOW (I KNOW it won't be this cheap) $200, I'd join tomorrow, but if it's on the high side might have to pass or at least need more time.