Author Topic: [Idea] A Keyboard for showing your artisan  (Read 2326 times)

Offline utgnadnart

[Idea] A Keyboard for showing your artisan
« on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 10:58:38 »
Do you want to show your artisan keycaps on your keeb ?
I into this hobby already for 5 years. I started with Razer keyboards, I feel so different and so satisfied. And then I discovered other brand like Filco, Leopold, Realforce,... with more layout and more switches,... one more time the feeling come back. After that, I found Custom keyboards  and artisan keycaps. At that time I knew creativity is limitless. So after having and trying a lot of custom keyboard. I think not so many keyboard can combine showing your artisan keycap and still keep the form of GMK and SA keycap. And sometime artisan keycap is quite hard or painful to press. So I create this layout for that purpose. I hope you guys also find this is a good layout and will buy it.
Some idea for the mechkey:
- Aluminium 6063 with good anodize, a lot of color options
- 2 led bar at the front of the keyboard
- 8 degree slope
- Can keymap
- Layout 65/910/winterfox
- RGB under (maybe RGB backlit but I need to develop the PCB)
- Have counterweight.
- Brass logo
And I’m happy to hear your ideas as well
The prototype will be finished soon. You will have a better look at this keyboard.
https://imgur.com/gallery/IZZdA

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: [Idea] A Keyboard for showing your artisan
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 20:11:15 »
So...... You'd have to have 9 artisans that work well together in the same color scheme..

That's quite tough.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 01:27:51 »
Presumably one you're not going to type on, right? Isn't that the idea, like having a cool-looking car you leave in the driveway all the time?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 04:56:14 »
Presumably one you're not going to type on, right? Isn't that the idea, like having a cool-looking car you leave in the driveway all the time?

I do have a few keyboards displayed on my desk which I do not really use and are more just decoration. They get used occasionally depending on my situation, but really they just look pretty in a stand as I work.

But as to the OPs situation, I'd imagine its use of the extra keys would be more for macro functionality than just showing off artisans if anything... especially when mentioned it's a fully programmable board. If you want to show off artisans easily, I'd just buy a Roadkit or even a generic numpad and swap the caps to your artisans. The linked design is definitely cool and unique, but I think it might be a little extreme (read: pricey) and over-engineered if all you want to do is show off some artisans with your board.

And as mentioned, you'd have to have a pretty rock solid collection to have enough matching artisans to fill out the extra keys and match your base keyset. This could be something I could get behind, but the focus of what problem is being solved with this board would have to be refocused.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 16:30:09 »
I would care more about artisan caps if they were actually usable. But alas, 'artisan' and 'usable' are usually mutually exclusive terms. Sometimes I feel artisan caps go out of their way to be as unusable as possible, like being far to fat at the base so you can only use it on specific keyboards, or with pokey bits on top that seems to serve no purpose other than serving as a deterrent to ever actually pushing the button. I suppose changing the F4 key to a bed of needles would make you think twice about rage quitting tho...
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 November 2017, 16:33:21 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 20:41:47 »
I would care more about artisan caps if they were actually usable. But alas, 'artisan' and 'usable' are usually mutually exclusive terms...

THAT'S what I always wondered.

Sometimes I feel artisan caps go out of their way to be as unusable as possible, like being far to fat at the base so you can only use it on specific keyboards, or with pokey bits on top that seems to serve no purpose other than serving as a deterrent to ever actually pushing the button. I suppose changing the F4 key to a bed of needles would make you think twice about rage quitting tho...

LOL—thanks for the insights. And hey, there's always Scroll Lock and Pause, right?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg