Author Topic: [SOLD] In Oz: '86 Model M 1390131, low opening  (Read 3351 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
[SOLD] In Oz: '86 Model M 1390131, low opening
« on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 01:04:12 »
Since our Aussie pals often bemoan the high cost of international shipping:

Vintage IBM Model M Keyboard

It's a first-generation M, p/n 1390131, the best M build ever.

This one's in Adelaide, starting at AU $9.00. It's a 7-day listing that started a few hours ago. I'm not going to guess what day it actually ends on down there.  :?)
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 January 2018, 07:47:15 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: In Oz: '86 Model M 1390131, low opening
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 22:46:01 »
I saw that one, and somewhat tempted, originally for parts (keycaps) to complete my M122 project, and eventually to restore.

Local link for locals (obviously): https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-IBM-Model-M-Keyboard/302599713436

But then someone else started bidding on it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 09:11:45 »

tempted, originally for parts (keycaps)

I agree with Ander, the 131 is the most desirable M of all (all the "ordinary" ones, that is). If it stays in a reasonable price range, somebody here should snag it.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 19:55:26 »
Still reasonable, still 4 days to go.

Tempting ... very tempting ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 00:36:48 »
Still reasonable, still 4 days to go... Tempting ... very tempting ...

Dude, you're serious? $40 AU is like, what, $30 US? For a '131 in good shape? That's, like, 1/3 of its value. Your call, though.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 01:05:33 »
Forgot this was ending this arvo due to mitigating circumstances and the weather.

Despite 40+ degrees outside and nearly 37 degrees inside I had to spend most of the day packing and carrying boxes around.

It sold for AU $62.55 after 12 bids, which is probably slightly higher than I would have been able to bid at the moment anyway.

Did anyone here get it?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 01:15:38 »
Same seller has another one listed, but includes IBM 5170 computer plus keyboard and manuals.

Doesn't show the keyboard part number, but keyboard has a square badge in upper right corner.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-IBM-5170-Computer-w-Model-M-Keyboard-Reference-Manuals/302606532837

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 07:48:13 »
Same seller has another one listed, but includes IBM 5170 computer plus keyboard and manuals...

Isn't that annoying? I mean, who wants a dang computer of that age? Peeps just don't get it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: [SOLD] In Oz: '86 Model M 1390131, low opening
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 03:25:36 »
Same seller has another one listed, but includes IBM 5170 computer plus keyboard and manuals...

Isn't that annoying? I mean, who wants a dang computer of that age? Peeps just don't get it.

I can think of one person.