Author Topic: IBM SSK With APL Keys  (Read 4087 times)

Offline JP

About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
Re: IBM SSK With APL Keys
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 22:41:41 »
Just as a heads up for those who don't know, these appear to be the Unicomp version of the APL keys. More orange than red.

Offline JP

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 23:03:57 »
To my knowledge there essentially are three versions of these APL keys. The first were a reddish orange Model F quality keys and were used on terminal boards typically like the F104, next are the standard orange Model M era APL keys. Lastly are Unicomp's set which are inferior to the ones from the Model M era. Also Unicomp uses a different font so that is always something to look for.

Vintage Model M APL Set:
188068-0

Unicomp Vs. Model F era APL
188070-1
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 February 2018, 23:07:15 by JP »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 04:41:22 »
How much do these usually get? 300$?

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 12:54:52 »

To my knowledge there essentially are three versions of these APL keys.

You are definitely more knowledgeable than I am. Do you concur that these look like the Unicomp ones? It's also odd seeing an SSK without the number pad sublegends. Though I guess they couldn't have had both numpad and APL sublegends on those keys.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 12:59:56 »
There was a big injection of SSKs into the market thanks to our resident seller. I've been seeing them go for between $185 and $235 lately.

If these are original IBM APL caps, I'd expect that to add maybe $125-$150 to the sales price. If they are Unicomp's, those sold for $40 a set, IIRC.   But a lot of people don't like them, so it's not likely to add to the perceived value over a stock SSK. It might even lower the price if the original caps with sublegends aren't included in the sale.

Offline JP

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 15:58:11 »
There was a big injection of SSKs into the market thanks to our resident seller. I've been seeing them go for between $185 and $235 lately.

If these are original IBM APL caps, I'd expect that to add maybe $125-$150 to the sales price. If they are Unicomp's, those sold for $40 a set, IIRC.   But a lot of people don't like them, so it's not likely to add to the perceived value over a stock SSK. It might even lower the price if the original caps with sublegends aren't included in the sale.

You raise some interesting points. Not having the original SSK keys should definitely be a factor in determining the value as those might not be easy to acquire if say you wanted the APL's for a different board or not at all. It is an older SSK at least so it will fetch a fair price regardless. I've heard the older Unicomp APL's were less faded than they are now but I do not believe these are Unicomp's.

Here is another comparison I found.
188105-0

Source:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62543.0
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 February 2018, 16:55:57 by JP »