Author Topic: Real or counterfeit?  (Read 3342 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Real or counterfeit?
« on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 00:32:03 »
Hey guys,

Is there any way to tell if these are genuine Cherry MXs, or counterfeits?:

(eBay page here)

They say "Cherry", but they're being sold out of China. Aren't real Cherry switches made in Germany? Or are they making them in China now? But even if they were, why would third parties be selling them directly from there?

And of course, that photo on the listing page may just be a stock Cherry photo... Who knows if the actual switches look just like that?

Thanks for your input!

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Harms

Re: Real or counterfeit?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 01:21:17 »
Those are 100% real.

The seller is Doyu Studio
sennin32

Myself and many others have brought from him before. He is a notable member and ran/runs many group buy for switches and keyboards.

Here is his current GB that is in the GB section and on his main website: https://shopkey.doyustudio.com/001kit00bsg

He sells switches on the website as well.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 February 2018, 01:22:50 by Harms »

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 01:27:48 »
Legitimate sellers are NOT immune to selling fakes.

Sometimes the fakes are good enough to fool the seller.

And considering the Seller has put down cash , he might not be so forthcoming about the switches being fake if discovered.

You also can't tell from the ebay picture,  because they could easily post real pictures, but sell fakes..

user -Harms- is vouching for this seller,   but again,   you have to determine for yourself once you actually get the product.

Offline Harms

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 01:47:55 »
Legitimate sellers are NOT immune to selling fakes.

Sometimes the fakes are good enough to fool the seller.

And considering the Seller has put down cash , he might not be so forthcoming about the switches being fake if discovered.

You also can't tell from the ebay picture,  because they could easily post real pictures, but sell fakes..

user -Harms- is vouching for this seller,   but again,   you have to determine for yourself once you actually get the product.

Great points!

Offline RichardH

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 01:51:58 »
I have some Cherry MX Browns from this seller and they look just like the ones on my Ducky One inside and out. They also shipped really fast.

-Rich

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 02:10:49 »
Maybe I am to trusting? I would assume there legit.. I am sure lots of places in China buy the switches then offer soldering services like KBDfan's.. but will also sell the switches if someone request them. My thoughts are this if the price is to good to be true then assume there counterfeit regardless of country.  The price is about in line with what they be anywhere else then I just take it there legit. Anyone wondering why you might buy switches in China if there the same price as switches in America and simply because sometimes you can't find the switch you want in stock anywhere else.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 05:14:50 »
And of course, that photo on the listing page may just be a stock Cherry photo...

It's not — it's my photo, of my single plate-mount MX Green switch, from 2013, as used on the wiki and on my website.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 17:43:16 »
Sennin32 is very legit. His customer service is great and I've bought from him several times. He's also the only person to have confirmed retooled MX Whites so he also has that going for him :P

Ander, to answer our question about Cherry switches' origin, yes they are made in Germany, but Cherry only sells in bulk (outside of their newfangled developer kit abominations). Hence, many sellers all around the world (America, China etc) buy them wholesale and sell them in packs/individually. That's why you rarely see Cherry switches being sold out of Germany - most of the keeb retailers are in China and the USA.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 23:28:04 »
Thanks, guys, that's good enough for me (despite big attention-craving text to the contrary). A friend has been looking for a board with MX Greens for quite a while, but they've become hard to find (maybe it was finally determined that most KB geeks didn't have the strength to use them, LOL), so maybe he can grab a bag of these and put them in something.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 03:19:57 »
Probably worth a PM on here - should be cheaper without eBay fees :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 05:15:01 »
Sennin32 is very legit. His customer service is great and I've bought from him several times. He's also the only person to have confirmed retooled MX Whites so he also has that going for him :P

Ander, to answer our question about Cherry switches' origin, yes they are made in Germany, but Cherry only sells in bulk (outside of their newfangled developer kit abominations). Hence, many sellers all around the world (America, China etc) buy them wholesale and sell them in packs/individually. That's why you rarely see Cherry switches being sold out of Germany - most of the keeb retailers are in China and the USA.

Have you tried any of the retooled Cherry whites? I've always liked the weighting & softer click of them, but the inconsistency of the old ones (especially after they break in, weird huh?) just killed them for me. I had a V60 with stock whites I got 2nd hand & that was already fairly inconsistent when I got it. Some switches sounded right, others clicked loudly, & some didn't click at all. Then I decided to try my luck buying them loose for a custom build & bought a huge batch to cherry pick (LOL, no pun intend). That worked out well at 1st, but the more use I put on that board the more inconsistent the clicks became just like the V60.

I'd like to give them another try but would want to know the re-tooling actually helped with the whites previous shortcomings.

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 07:34:36 »
Have you tried any of the retooled Cherry whites? I've always liked the weighting & softer click of them, but the inconsistency of the old ones (especially after they break in, weird huh?) just killed them for me. I had a V60 with stock whites I got 2nd hand & that was already fairly inconsistent when I got it. Some switches sounded right, others clicked loudly, & some didn't click at all. Then I decided to try my luck buying them loose for a custom build & bought a huge batch to cherry pick (LOL, no pun intend). That worked out well at 1st, but the more use I put on that board the more inconsistent the clicks became just like the V60.

I'd like to give them another try but would want to know the re-tooling actually helped with the whites previous shortcomings.

Yup I have them in my daily driver AMJ60, albeit with clear gateron tops and 45g springs. There is no inconsistency, at all. They feel absolutely amazing. I've been using this board constantly for half a year now and they've showed no signs of inconsistency. They're basically MX blues but less awful. Also something to note is that the retooled ones have a new spring, they are approximately 62g to bottom out when put in a linear.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 09:07:50 »

Yup I have them in my daily driver AMJ60, albeit with clear gateron tops and 45g springs. There is no inconsistency, at all. They feel absolutely amazing. I've been using this board constantly for half a year now and they've showed no signs of inconsistency. They're basically MX blues but less awful. Also something to note is that the retooled ones have a new spring, they are approximately 62g to bottom out when put in a linear.

Thanks for the reply! Sounds awesome, looks like I'm gonna have to grab a batch from Doyu. The decrease in weighting is a little disappointing to me, although I could always swap in the springs from the old whites I have if I don't like it. :thumb: