Author Topic: [ENDED] Vintage HP terminal board, beautious keys, $46 shipped  (Read 3233 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
[ENDED] Vintage HP terminal board, beautious keys, $46 shipped
« on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 00:44:22 »
Is this any good? It's cheap enough:

VTG HP 2629A/P KEYBOARD (USED)

$23.21 + 23.25 US shipping
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 February 2018, 02:40:21 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline OldIsNew

Re: Vintage HP terminal board, beautious keys, $46 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 07:48:43 »
Should have  Hi-Tek and/or Stackpole switches. I have a similar one. It's OK in my opinion.

https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/hp-2623a-keyboard-t17290.html
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 February 2018, 07:50:29 by OldIsNew »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 18:49:32 »
Should have  Hi-Tek and/or Stackpole switches. I have a similar one. It's OK in my opinion.

Cool. So, how do Stackpole and early Hi-Tek switches feel, exactly? I'm guessing there's a considerable travel length compared to newer types.

Also, did you actually get yours working? If so, did it take much reverse engineering? And even if you didn't, can't you keep something like this on display and just admire it? I could.

I have many other questions, but they're beyond the scope of this discussion.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 22:18:09 »

Cool. So, how do Stackpole and early Hi-Tek switches feel, exactly? I'm guessing there's a considerable travel length compared to newer types.

Also, did you actually get yours working? If so, did it take much reverse engineering? And even if you didn't, can't you keep something like this on display and just admire it? I could.

I have many other questions, but they're beyond the scope of this discussion.

Well I don't know exactly how you describe them - not as solid,  and more "clacky" than a lot of other mechanical switches - so maybe more "plasticy." They're really not bad though.  I haven't really noticed a major difference in the travel of these switches as compared to others, but I don't think I pay that close of attention.  I also think they are very cool looking boards - so for sure nothing wrong with just displaying one!

Like most boards,  it's not all that difficult to convert - I did not reverse engineer the keyboard protocol -  I mapped the matrix and wired to a Teensy. I wrote my own simple firmware with Arduino just because it's a part of of the hobby for me, but you could use TMK.

Here's a video of typing on it just to get a feel (I hooked up the board's piezo buzzer):

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 02:41:29 »
Well I don't know exactly how you describe them - not as solid,  and more "clacky" than a lot of other mechanical switches... Here's a video of typing on it just to get a feel (I hooked up the board's piezo buzzer)...

Hey, thanks for all the details, and even a video. So that's the piezo we're actually hearing? It sounds quite natural, like a more defined Topre sound. I really like the equal (but different) return sound on switches like these—twice the clacky goodness!

I'm surprised no one bought this for the price. I sure like the colorway, and the case color. But what's up with the embedded number pad that stops at 6?

« Last Edit: Sat, 24 February 2018, 02:48:11 by ander »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: [ENDED] Vintage HP terminal board, beautious keys, $46 shipped
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 02:54:38 »
Dunno if anyone's interested, but the same seller has listed another one here. The case isn't quite as nice, though, and they're asking a bit more dough.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: [ENDED] Vintage HP terminal board, beautious keys, $46 shipped
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 19:47:56 »
Well I don't know exactly how you describe them - not as solid,  and more "clacky" than a lot of other mechanical switches... Here's a video of typing on it just to get a feel (I hooked up the board's piezo buzzer)...

Hey, thanks for all the details, and even a video. So that's the piezo we're actually hearing? It sounds quite natural, like a more defined Topre sound. I really like the equal (but different) return sound on switches like these—twice the clacky goodness!

I'm surprised no one bought this for the price. I sure like the colorway, and the case color. But what's up with the embedded number pad that stops at 6?

(Attachment Link)

'Cause you've got 789 on the number row just above them.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ