Author Topic: [IC] the Heavy-6: a Norbauer housing for the Leopold FC660C  (Read 80739 times)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Re: [IC] the Heavy-6: a Norbauer housing for the Leopold FC660C
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 19:26:11 »
...for a steel PVD case if the cost were around $500-600...

For comparison sake, what would be an approximate price range for the aluminum anodized / powder coated?

I suppose if the difference may be significant.

On average, probably about half that. ;)

Offline le_wraith

« Reply #201 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 19:36:01 »
Hi all. So I'm still looking at stainless and PVD coating. It's really, really expensive, but I'm still kind of digging it. I'm told it's fantastically durable and all the photos I've seen make it look awesome. Because the entire assembly would also be stainless steel, the case would be enormously heavy. Before I invest the huge amount of money required to get a prototype in Stainless Steel with PVD, I wanted to ask if literally anyone would be up for a steel PVD case if the cost were around $500-600, as I think it almost inevitably would be.

Does stainless steel w/ PVD work with all of the same color options? I'm likely in for it. I REALLY love superheavy boards.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #202 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 19:37:56 »
Hi all. So I'm still looking at stainless and PVD coating. It's really, really expensive, but I'm still kind of digging it. I'm told it's fantastically durable and all the photos I've seen make it look awesome. Because the entire assembly would also be stainless steel, the case would be enormously heavy. Before I invest the huge amount of money required to get a prototype in Stainless Steel with PVD, I wanted to ask if literally anyone would be up for a steel PVD case if the cost were around $500-600, as I think it almost inevitably would be.

Does stainless steel w/ PVD work with all of the same color options? I'm likely in for it. I REALLY love superheavy boards.

The color option for PVD would simply be black. I believe they're using DLC (Diamond-like carbon), which is very durable but only comes in that color for technical reasons.

Offline le_wraith

« Reply #203 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 19:54:37 »
I love the idea of a freakishly heavy board but already have so many black keyboards (including tactical black norbaforce coming up heh heh).

IDK, might have to see a prototype to decide. = )

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #204 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 23:04:34 »
I really love my fc660c and my baby deserves nothing but the best, but that's going to be quite a bit out of my price range unfortunately. Sounds amazing though ( ._.)
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline HighNoon

« Reply #205 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 23:40:41 »
I really love my fc660c and my baby deserves nothing but the best, but that's going to be quite a bit out of my price range unfortunately. Sounds amazing though ( ._.)

Agreed. $500-$600 is too much for me as well. I'll stick with aluminum and get one of the powder options if I decide to splurge.

Offline omjak

« Reply #206 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 00:06:46 »
I too would rather go for aluminum, and probably coated

Offline gilmoregrills

« Reply #207 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 03:13:49 »
Steel would be pretty lux, but I'm not sure I could justify it  :( Also I know it's purposefully making a small board heavier but that's _so_ heavy >_<

Offline le_wraith

« Reply #208 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 11:53:07 »
I will feel bummed out if no one gets the steel. It seems like this needs to be done--for science.

Offline haydoselefantes

« Reply #209 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 12:29:17 »
if literally anyone would be up for a steel PVD case if the cost were around $500-600, as I think it almost inevitably would be.

I'm tentatively interested at that price.  It might give me the impetus to divest myself of all my MX stuff and go all in on Topre. 

Ideally, the Norbaforce would arrive and I could use it for a while before I have to commit to Heavy-6.

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #210 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 12:35:46 »
I'm also tentatively interested in the steel, but definitely would need to see a prototype before I could jump at that price.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline norbauer

« Reply #211 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 12:38:11 »
Cool. Yes, I think I'll probably do a prototype in steel with PVD just to see how it turns out, and we can take it from there. I'm getting the latest version done up in aluminum first to check the design since a steel prototype is fantastically expensive and I definitely don't want to have to make that one twice. :)

Offline moitorpsychoo

« Reply #212 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 12:42:13 »
I’d love to see the steel prototype but unless it’s much better than aluminum ones I don’t think I can justify the price.....since I’m getting 2 :)

Offline Hawkfriend

• K E Y B O R T S
« Reply #213 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 14:08:38 »
I’ll take one in steel. I’m familiar with DLC coating, as it’s used on suspension stanchion tubes. I love the finish!

Now that i’m thinking about suspension coatings, just wondering if it would be possible to get it done in Kashima costing? However, that might make the cost too ridiculous...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline le_wraith

« Reply #214 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 14:52:52 »
Kashima coating would be amazing actually. No idea of cost.

edit:
Judging from this: http://www.totalcontrolsuspension.com/coatings it looks like Kashima must be only slightly more expensive than DLC but maybe I'm missing something.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 May 2018, 14:55:46 by le_wraith »

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #215 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 16:57:53 »
I *think* I'd be in for a steel version in that price range, though would certainly appreciate it if it came in below budget. :) Sounds glorious. It'd be silver in color with the coating, right?

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #216 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 17:05:40 »
I *think* I'd be in for a steel version in that price range, though would certainly appreciate it if it came in below budget. :) Sounds glorious. It'd be silver in color with the coating, right?

No, he already mentioned it would be black:

The color option for PVD would simply be black. I believe they're using DLC (Diamond-like carbon), which is very durable but only comes in that color for technical reasons.

Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #217 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 22:42:40 »
No, he already mentioned it would be black:

Oh, sorry. I take that back then. I'd want it to unmistakingly look like polished steel. :)

Offline mpalen19

« Reply #218 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 23:03:40 »

Would the PVD coating be matte or polished? I'd be interested to see what a polished version would look like. Normally companies that do this type of coating produce small metal samples to give an idea what the finish would look like too.
Leopold FC660C / Norbatouch / Realforce 87U /  KUL ES-87 / Rama M60-A / Fjell

Offline digitalmachinist

« Reply #219 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 23:00:42 »
I feel like I'm a little late to this party, but I'll have you know that I registered a geekhack account specifically because of this! Thanks to /u/motorpsychoo on reddit for plugging the Heavy-6 and starting me down this rabbit hole.

I'm new to the Topre/FC660C club, but I've been trying to really make this board special and different with a few mods and this case seems like the perfect addition to really make a stand-out piece both to display and use.

Based on the thread above, here's my two cents:

1. Having the option of risers seems important. 6 degrees is a good incline. I find that 10 degree incline of the FC660C with its feet deployed is a bit too large and trips me up sometimes, yet 3 degrees withe the feet folded in is far too flat.

2. $500-600USD is way too rich for my blood (also I'm Canadian so add 30% to that to get CDN...) so no chance I'm in for the stainless body. That being said, it sounds pretty gorgeous and just absurdly beefy so I think the aesthetic of it is a great match. I'd love to see this done, even if I can't afford to actually have it sitting on my desk.

3. Motorsport yellow! I have a set of matt3o's MT3 /dev/tty caps on order and I'm pretty sure motorsport will be a fantastic color match between the grey and red, (ens especially with the yellow keys that come with the novelties pack). It would also match the triumph sets remarkably well.

4. Case height/weight isn't a big issue for me but it seems like lots of people want portability thought about. That being said, the aesthetic you're going for is clearly industrial and heavy so go with your gut and make the case that fits your aesthetic best. You clearly have good taste, norbauer.

5. Personally I think a maker's mark is great. If it's possible to make it optional for people without it making the whole run cost-prohibitive that would be ideal, but you also have the right to make that statement. People who think this makes your products seem corporate forget that graphic/signature "branding" is just a modern corporate behaviour lifted from the world of artisinal crafting that largely came before it. Go with what feels right to you.

6. Hasu compatibility is awesome. I don't have one yet but its on my list of mods I definitely want.

Even at the lower price range of $200-300USD, this is a lot for me (especially since I've probably already paid $500 into this board so far...), but I'm really psyched for this case and I'll be strongly considering joining the GB when it opens.

Keep up the fantastic work, norbauer!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #220 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 00:33:31 »
Thanks for the awesome feedback and kind words, digitalmachinist!

3. Motorsport yellow! I have a set of matt3o's MT3 /dev/tty caps on order and I'm pretty sure motorsport will be a fantastic color match between the grey and red, (ens especially with the yellow keys that come with the novelties pack). It would also match the triumph sets remarkably well.

I actually really love the pairing of this yellow with red. I'm thinking of doing an aluminum and red enamel logo badge with those.

I now have samples of the logo badges, btw. I think they're pretty subtle but look very cool. I look forward to being able to post photos with a finished prototype when the next round of parts arrives in a few weeks.

Offline digitalmachinist

« Reply #221 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 02:56:34 »
I now have samples of the logo badges, btw. I think they're pretty subtle but look very cool. I look forward to being able to post photos with a finished prototype when the next round of parts arrives in a few weeks.

I'm excited to see the progress! :cool:

Offline wishful_cynic

« Reply #222 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 10:12:24 »

I'm excited to see the progress! :cool:

Same, I'm so excited this project is happening.

Offline Luna

« Reply #223 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 22:07:54 »
Same, I'm so excited this project is happening.

Same here, definitely getting one for my highly modded Leopold: Hasu controller, Novatouch sliders and Hyperspheres. Still waiting for the /dev/tty caps and then this case.

Offline olivia

« Reply #224 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 18:23:02 »
Cool. Yes, I think I'll probably do a prototype in steel with PVD just to see how it turns out, and we can take it from there. I'm getting the latest version done up in aluminum first to check the design since a steel prototype is fantastically expensive and I definitely don't want to have to make that one twice. :)

Just to throw my opinion into the mix, I'd definitely by interested in a steel case :D or really any exotic metal  ;D

Offline moitorpsychoo

« Reply #225 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 18:35:19 »
I feel like I'm a little late to this party, but I'll have you know that I registered a geekhack account specifically because of this! Thanks to /u/motorpsychoo on reddit for plugging the Heavy-6 and starting me down this rabbit hole.

I'm new to the Topre/FC660C club, but I've been trying to really make this board special and different with a few mods and this case seems like the perfect addition to really make a stand-out piece both to display and use.

1. Having the option of risers seems important. 6 degrees is a good incline. I find that 10 degree incline of the FC660C with its feet deployed is a bit too large and trips me up sometimes, yet 3 degrees withe the feet folded in is far too flat.

2. $500-600USD is way too rich for my blood (also I'm Canadian so add 30% to that to get CDN...) so no chance I'm in for the stainless body. That being said, it sounds pretty gorgeous and just absurdly beefy so I think the aesthetic of it is a great match. I'd love to see this done, even if I can't afford to actually have it sitting on my desk.

4. Case height/weight isn't a big issue for me but it seems like lots of people want portability thought about. That being said, the aesthetic you're going for is clearly industrial and heavy so go with your gut and make the case that fits your aesthetic best. You clearly have good taste, norbauer.

5. Personally I think a maker's mark is great. If it's possible to make it optional for people without it making the whole run cost-prohibitive that would be ideal, but you also have the right to make that statement. People who think this makes your products seem corporate forget that graphic/signature "branding" is just a modern corporate behaviour lifted from the world of artisinal crafting that largely came before it. Go with what feels right to you.

6. Hasu compatibility is awesome. I don't have one yet but its on my list of mods I definitely want.

Even at the lower price range of $200-300USD, this is a lot for me (especially since I've probably already paid $500 into this board so far...), but I'm really psyched for this case and I'll be strongly considering joining the GB when it opens.

Ha! /u/motorpsychoo here. I’m glad we are all coming down this rabbit hole together :)

Offline digitalmachinist

« Reply #226 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 11:39:43 »

Ha! /u/motorpsychoo here. I’m glad we are all coming down this rabbit hole together :)

From reading the thread above I figured that must be you.  :)

Thanks for tipping me off!

My wallet is less happy.  :-\

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
« Reply #227 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 18:12:05 »
I never had a Leopold keyboard before, but I'll buy one just so I can have an excuse to buy your case too.

I think copper/black would be a killer combo, just like the color scheme Klipsch uses for their audio equipment. Copper powder finish + blank black keycaps. Looks good already.

Offline Korseir

« Reply #228 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 21:23:55 »

Points 1 - 5  I am in agreement with.
Point 6 I have a hasu controller :D.

Really looking forward to how this will turn out

Offline The_judge_168

« Reply #229 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 22:16:58 »
I never had a Leopold keyboard before, but I'll buy one just so I can have an excuse to buy your case too.

I think copper/black would be a killer combo, just like the color scheme Klipsch uses for their audio equipment. Copper powder finish + blank black keycaps. Looks good already.

Show Image

Black and copper or even like gold would be pretty cool. Where to find blank black keycaps though

Offline Luna

« Reply #230 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 22:28:25 »
I really wonder how that Photographer's Greywill turn out. 

Offline Hawkfriend

• K E Y B O R T S
« Reply #231 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 04:43:48 »
Any word on when the GB might start?

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
« Reply #232 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 05:08:08 »
Where to find blank black keycaps though

Probably nowhere. I've never heard of complete Leopold set, let alone a blank one.

However, I was planing on buying a HHKB blank keyset and than using alphas. It should fit.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #233 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 11:52:57 »

I don't have a specific date target, but it's looking like I should be able to get this rolling around the end of June, proximal to KeyCon. I just got photos this morning of the two aluminum prototypes and they look great—should have them later this week or early next. Assuming I'm happy with how they turned out upon in-person inspection, I'll move to a steel/PVD prototype. Allowing for a 2-3 week turnaround on that prototype, that lands roughly around the end of June. Anyway, that's a current rough estimate. :)

Offline Hawkfriend

• K E Y B O R T S
« Reply #234 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 14:59:39 »

I don't have a specific date target, but it's looking like I should be able to get this rolling around the end of June, proximal to KeyCon. I just got photos this morning of the two aluminum prototypes and they look great—should have them later this week or early next. Assuming I'm happy with how they turned out upon in-person inspection, I'll move to a steel/PVD prototype. Allowing for a 2-3 week turnaround on that prototype, that lands roughly around the end of June. Anyway, that's a current rough estimate. :)

Thanks for the update Ryan - I’m really looking forward to the steel proto.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #235 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 16:33:56 »
Every day the thirst to see what Motorsport Yellow could be grows a little more.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #236 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 17:40:29 »
Every day the thirst to see what Motorsport Yellow could be grows a little more.

Aluminum protos arrived and look fantastic. Photos soon. Work begins this week on the yellow and steel samples. I’m feeling really great about where things are headed. :)

Offline moitorpsychoo

« Reply #237 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 18:17:54 »

Aluminum protos arrived and look fantastic. Photos soon. Work begins this week on the yellow and steel samples. I’m feeling really great about where things are headed. :)
Can’t wait to see them!!!!

Offline omjak

« Reply #238 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 10:09:15 »

This is how I perceive the Motorsport Yellow combined with Gray keycaps:

unfortunately for me, I have the beige/gray caps

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #239 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 10:55:53 »
I was wondering the custom colors will they cost about the same as motorsport's yellow? I was thinking like that Galaxy Console beige. Is this going to run after the Realforce cases start to ship ((asking this to know how long we got to save up for.)) I been thinking more and more about this project and how much love my fc660c

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #240 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 10:58:15 »

Awesome to hear, I've already started tossing some money to side for a Heavy-6! :cool:

Offline LiL_BrOwNiE247

« Reply #241 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 08:24:57 »

Can’t wait to see them!!!!

Ditto, seeing the real deal will definitely make or break my decision to go in on this.

Offline lumpofunworth

• I’m a guy, that does stuff, with things, for fun.
« Reply #242 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 08:28:20 »
Ugh I love your stuff, if I already owned an FC660c I would be all over this. Sadly the price to find one and get this case is just too much. GLWB!
I like keyboards like I like people... I like keyboards a bit more come to think of it... nvm

Offline TennisShoeNinja

« Reply #243 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 08:42:43 »
any idea what colors you'll be offering for this? need to know if I should be saving my pennies now.

Offline base

« Reply #244 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 09:33:46 »
I've been looking for an excuse to pick up a 660c for a while now, and this is definitely it.  :thumb:

Offline wishful_cynic

« Reply #245 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 09:42:23 »
I've been looking for an excuse to pick up a 660c for a while now, and this is definitely it.  :thumb:

It's a great time to pick up a 660c.  The new versions are manufactured in Japan, and although I'm not aware of any noticeable differences, that just sounds better than Made In China.  There are also more keycap options now, and the PBT dyesub sets are phenomenal, best caps I've used.  I just picked up an all-black 660c to replace my black and gray 660c.

Offline Hongook

« Reply #246 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 09:44:15 »
Nice, guess I'll start looking into getting a 660c and see what the hypes all about.

Offline HOBI3CAT

• FraktalKaps.com
    • Fraktal Kaps Website
« Reply #247 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 11:00:47 »
Just got my fc660c- did a mx slider swap (with silencing rings), and put bke redux domes in it. Now all I need is a norbauer case for it! ;)
Eat, Sleep, Resin, Repeat.

Offline Luna

« Reply #248 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 11:08:04 »
Just got my fc660c- did a mx slider swap (with silencing rings), and put bke redux domes in it. Now all I need is a norbauer case for it! ;)

I got me a second, black FC660C and did a slider swap with Nova sliders, added Hyperspheres and a Hasu controller. Waiting for my /dev/tty keycaps to put on it. Add to that a photogrpahers grey Norbauer and it will be magnificent I think!
Wouldn’t mind a pic of that photographers grey.

I didn’t like the Redux domes as much as the Topre ones I must sya. Whic reduxes did you take.

Offline HOBI3CAT

• FraktalKaps.com
    • Fraktal Kaps Website
« Reply #249 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 12:23:48 »

I got me a second, black FC660C and did a slider swap with Nova sliders, added Hyperspheres and a Hasu controller. Waiting for my /dev/tty keycaps to put on it. Add to that a photogrpahers grey Norbauer and it will be magnificent I think!
Wouldn’t mind a pic of that photographers grey.

I didn’t like the Redux domes as much as the Topre ones I must sya. Whic reduxes did you take.

I put bke heavy domes in- I had them in my norbatouch and loved them. I still need a hasu controller too!
Eat, Sleep, Resin, Repeat.