Author Topic: Is there a such thing as a crisp tactile but quiet switch?  (Read 29538 times)

Offline ccc333

Is there a such thing as a crisp tactile but quiet switch?
« on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 20:12:48 »
I've relatively new to the world of mechanical keyboards, but I type 120-130 WPM and have done quite a bit of research recently.

I also might be what you guys would consider a heavy typist. I never thought so before, but I pretty much always bottom out any switch. But I don't get tired, so I don't think that's a problem.

My first mechanical was a cheap $25 Oetemu blue from Amazon, and I thought it was the most awesome keyboard in the world. But my keyboards have been the #1 source of conflict at work, and blues are also not practical to use at home when anyone else is in the same room, especially when the house is quiet.

I think what I'm really looking for is something that feels as close to blues as possible but with as little noise as possible. Does such a switch exist?

I made the mistake of buying a Cherry MX brown online before trying it, and I was disappointed. I was kind of hoping that they would be kind of like blues but quiet, but they're nothing like blues. The tactile feeling from brown simply isn't satisfying. The first time I tried them, I even thought they might have accidentally shipped me reds because I couldn't feel the tactility at all. Browns still beat membrane keyboards by far, so I'll be using this keyboard at work until I discover something better though browns are still not ideal.

I went to Best Buy to try reds, and I think I even like reds a little better than browns. They're still not satisfying the way blues are with no tactility at all, but the I'd rather have no tactility than the annoying "dirty" type of tactility I feel in browns.

I've been doing a little research on MX clears, and a lot of people say that those are pleasantly tactile without the noise. But I can't find a store that has them on displays because clears seem fairly uncommon, so I have no way of trying them out before buying. I would like a better description before dropping over $100 on a keyboard I may or may not even like.

I've also read that you're not supposed to bottom out clears, so they might not be the best choice for me. But I would consider dismantling my browns to make ergo clears if it turns out that I really love clears that much but want something lighter. Anyway, this issue is secondary compared to looking for a switch with the specific type of tactility that I like.

So I guess what I really want to know is what type of tactility you get from Cherry MX clears. I'm looking for the crisp and clicky sensation without the audible click. If they're like the mushy type of tactility from the browns except heavier, I probably won't like them.

Would MX clears work for me? Or perhaps there might exist another type of switch that I'm not aware of that fits the description I'm looking for?
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 February 2017, 20:17:10 by ccc333 »

Offline Tally810

Re: Is there a such thing as a crisp tactile but quiet switch?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 20:18:00 »
Buy a zealios switch tester if ya like Tactile is what I would recommend

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline Tally810

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 20:27:00 »
Buy a zealios switch tester if ya like Tactile is what I would recommend

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket here ya go build your own switch tester

Offline ccc333

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 20:29:58 »
I know I can use a switch tester, but it's not the same as acutally typing on a keyboard. If I were to feel a brown on a switch tester, I would probably think it's ok. And I liked my brown for the first couple hours but hate it now.

So I'm kind of looking for a more detailed description on clears from someone who has used them or other switch suggestions rather than "buy a switch tester"

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 21:11:05 »
MX clears might work for you, if you have the chance, you should test it.

I would recommend Zealio switch, recently my order of Zealio 67g arrived and I'm very satisfied with it (though I have not put them on a board)
if you want quiet switches, Zeal has an addon: "Zealencio", these "silencing clips" will reduce sound produced by bottom-out / top-out. (you can use them with other tactile/linear switches, not just Zealio)

Offline Tally810

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 21:31:16 »
I know I can use a switch tester, but it's not the same as acutally typing on a keyboard. If I were to feel a brown on a switch tester, I would probably think it's ok. And I liked my brown for the first couple hours but hate it now.

So I'm kind of looking for a more detailed description on clears from someone who has used them or other switch suggestions rather than "buy a switch tester"
My suggestion to buy a switch tester was what I thought l, a viable solution to your problem. Not sure if I came off wrong, but taking people's advice on here will only get you so far so I figured you could order the switch tester that I linked you, filled with whatever switches your heart desired.  I would still recommend zealios as the come in 4 different weights and they are smooth with a nice bump and if you want silent order some zealencios all from the same place.  Now I'm actually sitting here right now swapping springs in some mx clears because i found them too heavy but they do have a nice bump.  There's also mod switches which have a little different bump and aren't quite as smooth as zealios.  Now jumping to any of the switches I said are going to be much more Tactile than browns which I almost feel are linear the way I type.  While I'm no pro at this these are just my observations and I would still say to get a switch tester to try every option you possibly can.  Sorry for the wall of text as I'm on my phone but I do hope you find the right switch!

Offline ccc333

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 21:53:58 »
I'm probably going to get one of those keyboards with hot swappable keys so I don't need a switch tester. The problem with switch testers is, they only have one switch and I think I need like 30, or at least to cover most of the letters so I can see how typing of them feels

With all that being said, I'm very interested in Zealios right now, but they seem like they might be difficult to obtain and not always available. It looks like the earliest I can get them if I order now is around April. And if I don't order a full set, who knows when the next batch will be?

After doing more research on the MX clears, I'm also concerned about the friction people talk about. I probably won't like them if they have a lot of friction because that's what makes browns not satisfying to press down on. I think I like there to be a snap at the point of actuation but require constant pressure before and after the snap, and unfortunately, that doesn't seem like clears
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 February 2017, 21:56:00 by ccc333 »

Offline IBMPCDOS5

• I have no idea what to put here.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 22:00:00 »
I have a suggestion- try Cream Dampened Alps. From what I've heard, they have great tactility and are very quiet. The only downside is that it's in an AEKII and need an iMate. You can find both on eBay for varying prices.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 22:01:27 »
I have a suggestion- try Cream Dampened Alps. From what I've heard, they have great tactility and are very quiet. The only downside is that it's in an AEKII and need an iMate. You can find both on eBay for varying prices.

Not quoting this just because I have an AEK2 for sale  ;) ;) ;) but it actually the most silent mechanical switch I've tried. (I have never tried silenced MX or Topre yet.)

Offline IBMPCDOS5

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 22:03:25 »

Not quoting this just because I have an AEK2 for sale  ;) ;) ;) but it actually the most silent mechanical switch I've tried. (I have never tried silenced MX or Topre yet.)

Heh, nice. Still can't believe I inspired you to get a Unicomp -- brightened my day~!

Offline zpcomstock17

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 22:15:02 »
55 gram Topre is the breadwinner but expensive, they hold their value very well so you can resell them if you don't like them. They're quiet as a rubber dome, if not quieter. And they can be even half as quiet when lubed or getting the silent model but the silent model costs more. Silent model 55 gram Topre and lubed? Now that's a keyboard that's going sound to like typing on feathers.
If you don't want to give in to the Topre hype, Clears or Zealios. Zealios are already modded and fine tuned for many satisfied customer's fingers. They're already lubed while being manufactured and the Gateron sliders are notorious for being smooth.
Good timing to plan for a hot-swap mech keyboard, Glorious PC Gaming just came out with a RGB Modular keyboard that will suit your needs.

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 22:34:55 »

My first mechanical was a cheap $25 Oetemu blue from Amazon, and I thought it was the most awesome keyboard in the world. But my keyboards have been the #1 source of conflict at work, and blues are also not practical to use at home when anyone else is in the same room, especially when the house is quiet.

I think what I'm really looking for is something that feels as close to blues as possible but with as little noise as possible. Does such a switch exist?

How about blues with o-rings?  Big reduction in noise, softer landing, somewhat shorter travel. 

IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline ccc333

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 22:41:13 »

How about blues with o-rings?  Big reduction in noise, softer landing, somewhat shorter travel.

I tried that already. O-rings aren't even close to the type of sound reduction I need. In fact, nobody at work even noticed the difference.

I was going to buy this keyboard to use as my testing kit. Modular and pretty and relatively low cost. And I have a slight preference for tenkeyless over a full-sized keyboard, but I'm willing to use either.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WVC7ZNL/ref=twister_B01GFD6NAQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks everyone for opening my world up to the concept of all these switches I've never heard of, but I don't think I'm hard core enough to use anything like the Cream Dampened Alps yet. I'll add them to my list of "want to try"
But for now, I would strongly prefer to stick to something Cherry MX compatible because that seems like a more universal standard.

In order for me to buy a more exotic or vintage type keyboard, it would have to be an improvement over anything I've tried the way trying my first mechanical keyboard was to a membrane keyboard. Otherwise, it's not exactly worth the risk or inconvenience or loss in aesthetic value compared to something more modern looking right now.

I'm leaning towards the Zealios right now, but even those aren't exactly the most convenient or easiest to obtain. I'm looking at the 67g ones specifically because the description says they're supposed to be more crisp and that's exactly what I'm looking for

Is there anyone who doesn't love Zealios? I've read nothing but good things about it since the first google search
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 February 2017, 22:51:30 by ccc333 »

Offline Jeu

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 22:57:07 »
Piggy backing while also kind of suggesting...how does the tactility of a jailhouse blue/clicky switch compare to a true tactile switch? O rings in this position as opposed to around the stem of the cap may be the silencing OP needs while keeping a crisp feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline IBMPCDOS5

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 23:07:47 »
Piggy backing while also kind of suggesting...how does the tactility of a jailhouse blue/clicky switch compare to a true tactile switch? O rings in this position as opposed to around the stem of the cap may be the silencing OP needs while keeping a crisp feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blues have a click jacket that gives the switch more, rather clunky tbh, tactility. Jailhouse Blues basically stop the jacket from slamming down while still preserving the strongish tactility.
Clicky Alps are more tactile than tactile alps due to the click leaf mechanism. Hence why if people want more tactility in their alps, they generally click mod them.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 23:23:09 »

Cream Dampened Alps are kinda ****, I swapped the stems into orange alps a while back and the resulting switch was very quiet and much better than cream dampened. 

Best bets for buying new be would Matias Quiet Clicks, but cap selection sucks. If you are willing to mod the switches, maybe silenced Topre or Jailhouse Blues but those aren't quite as crisp.

IF you have a Cherry MX keyboard that is PCB mounted, QMX clips would pair great with MX clears, MOD switches, Zealios etc.

Clicky Alps are more tactile than tactile alps due to the click leaf mechanism. Hence why if people want more tactility in their alps, they generally click mod them.

WUT, I have an Alps board of nearly every variety and I would not say this is the case at all. The tactility is determined by the shape of the leaf and the click is just a product of the leaf being unsecured by wings resulting in it slamming into the housing. SKCM Brown, SKCM Green, SKCM Cream and SKCM Amber are among the most tactile and only one of those is a clicky switch.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline IBMPCDOS5

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 23:27:38 »

Cream Dampened Alps are kinda ****, I swapped the stems into orange alps a while back and the resulting switch was very quiet and much better than cream dampened. 

Best bets for buying new be would Matias Quiet Clicks, but cap selection sucks. If you are willing to mod the switches, maybe silenced Topre or Jailhouse Blues but those aren't quite as crisp.

IF you have a Cherry MX keyboard that is PCB mounted, QMX clips would pair great with MX clears, MOD switches, Zealios etc.

WUT, I have an Alps board of nearly every variety and I would not say this is the case at all. The tactility is determined by the shape of the leaf and the click is just a product of the leaf being unsecured by wings resulting in it slamming into the housing. SKCM Brown, SKCM Green, SKCM Cream and SKCM Amber are among the most tactile and only one of those is a clicky switch.
Ah, alright. I always read that clicky Alps were more tactile than tactile Alps. Sorry, we all make mistakes

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 23:34:38 »

Ah, alright. I always read that clicky Alps were more tactile than tactile Alps. Sorry, we all make mistakes

Just depends on the shape, it is actually not uncommon for people to bend the leaves to increase tactility but that can leave the board a bit inconsistent.

TLDR: A dampened (modded) alps based switch is probably the best option but board and cap selection is awful.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 February 2017, 23:37:34 by MandrewDavis »
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 00:28:45 »
tossing a vote in for o-ring clears

pretty quiet if you take all noise precautions

my KUL is v quiet as it is
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 02:04:27 »

I have to disagree. Cream Alps are pretty yucky feeling. Rough tactility, feels like there is two bumps.

SKCM Orange or Salmon modded with a dampened cream Slider would probably be really nice though!

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 02:22:45 »
On tactile switches, most of the noise comes from bottoming out and releasing. Both are mitigated by GMK QMX clips and Zealencio clips, so you might want to look into those. Note that QMX won't fit most keyboards as they only fit on switches that are mounted straight on the circuit board, whereas most keyboards use a plate for mounting above the circuit board. GMK has said that they're working on a plate mounted version though, so you could wait for those if you feel like Zealencios are too expensive.
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 03:16:34 »
Matias Quiet Click or cream Alps.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline polpo

• http://polpo.org/
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 11:34:43 »
Matias Quiet Click, hands down, if you want something new. It has rubber to dampen both downstroke and upstroke. For MX, clears are as tactile as it gets, but due to the design of MX you're just not going to get much tactility out of any of the non-clicking ones.
Matias Mini Quiet Pro / DSI SMK-88 (Cherry Black) / IBM Model M (10 Jul 86) / ThinkPad Travel Keyboard with Ultranav

Offline DRAZAH

• Hype-S
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 11:36:54 »
55g Topre

Offline Kavik

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 13:10:51 »
Although I've not used them personally, I think Matias Quiet Clicks might be up your alley.

I have a KBP V80 with regular Matias Clicks; they are rather loud, but I find the tactility really nice once you break them in (about two weeks of use). From what I have heard in videos, the quiet click version are pretty well dampened, but I guess it's really only possible to know for sure in person. As far as key feel, Matias are my favorite I've tried so far besides buckling spring. I'm really interested to try quiet clicks myself.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline phoible

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 13:48:07 »
I have a bunch of keyboards with quiet tactile switches (Cherry MX Brown, Silenced Topre, Matias QC, Vintage Cream ALPS, and Ergo Clears), and I think that Matias QC are the best based on what you are looking for.

Silenced Topre and Matias QC are the quietest, but Topre isn't sharply tactile in the same way that Matias QC is. The only other switch that's as tactile as Matias QC is the Ergo Clear/Zealio, but it's also a lot louder than Matias QC.

As said above, the biggest problem with Matias is that it uses ALPS keycaps, so not a lot of keycap selection. My favorite ALPS keycaps are the ones on the AEKII, so I'm running an ALPS64 built up from an old AEKII. The Cream ALPS is pretty similar to the Matias QC, although maybe a bit softer in tactility.

If you want to run a stock board, I would recommend the V60 or V80 with Quiet Clicks and doubleshot keycaps.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 14:06:13 »
Consider also that the construction of the keyboard itself matters, as do whatever rubber feet there are on the bottom. Placing the keyboard on an oversized mouse pad / desk mat could also reduce noise a bit if the keyboard's feet are inadequate.

if you want quiet switches, Zeal has an addon: "Zealencio", these "silencing clips" will reduce sound produced by bottom-out / top-out. (you can use them with other tactile/linear switches, not just Zealio)
Zealencios are very expensive and there is very limited compatibility. QMX Clips are a bit more affordable but less compatible and still several times as expensive as O-rings.

O-rings will only dampen the sound of bottoming out. Silencing clips silence also the upstroke. You might also need additional O-rings if you use the stock keycaps with these clips though.
Nothing silences the click of clicky switches.

I am not sure that MX Clears would fit a heavy typist. They are not really made to be pressed to the bottom anyway, in my opinion. Ergo Clears or Zealios are better.

Topre is a rubber dome, with a distinct landing and smooth stable key feel. The closest in feel among the mechanical switches might actually be the Ergo Clear / Zealios but still lacking the feel of the progression of a metal spring.
I also don't think that Matias Quiet Click switches are so very quiet but the tactility is more distinct than MX Clears for sure. Matias' switches are clones of the vintage Alps, and there is some binding on off-centre key presses - but not everyone is bothered by that.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 March 2017, 14:32:30 by Findecanor »

Offline cmc

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 16:20:40 »
Since you're worried about the noise, I'd highly recommend that you go on YouTube and listen to people typing (Reddit has a nice list of links at https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/keyboard_sound_samples).  Even with that, I think it's hard to tell exactly what a particular keyboard will sound like for you–chances are the way you type isn't quite the same way as someone else, and that could make all the difference.  (And that's not even counting things like different sorts of keycaps with different materials and profiles that might affect the way you type.)

Ultimately, your relationship with a keyboard is really personal, and anything anyone else says may or may not be helpful.  That said, I'll share my experiences, too.   ;)

I've been using the Matias Tactile Pro for about fifteen years.  They are loud, but they feel great.  But they're really too loud to use when you're on the phone, especially with a headset.  So after reading lots of things, I thought that Cherry MX clears sounded like the ****, so I bought a CODE.  It's nice, too.  The feel is different than the Matias (amongst other things, the force you need is very different, but the key mechanism is different, too).  It's quieter than the Matias.  But it's not that quiet.  I added some O-rings, and it's quieter, but it's still not silent by any means.  (I have thicker O-rings to swap, but they just got here yesterday.)

Meanwhile, I'm reading about the Topre Life, and I want to try them, but I've also gotten hooked on the whole idea of having nice keycaps.  Luckily, there's the Novatouch.  It's relatively cheap (in Topre terms).  It's also very nice.  It sounds and feels very different than the CODE and the Matias.  It sounds kind of nice.  It sounds even better with the Nantucket Selectric keycaps that I get off the waiting list!  But it's not silent, either.  Quieter than the CODE, but not silent.  It's fine for work, I think (and I actually just bought Hypersphere rings for it because Geekhack is a pusher).

In between, I ordered a Red Scarf III from Massdrop.  Because I heard that Zealios were the ****, I ordered those for it.  But it isn't here yet, so I can't tell you what it will be like.  I do have a bunch of keyswitches of various sorts, so I can, say, compare the feel of a Zealio 62g against a MOD-H (62g) against an MX clear (65g), but I don't think you can really tell what a whole board would feel like from a single key.  (Having said that, the Zealio and the MOD-H feel similar to me, and I think you can probably tell if you hate a particular switch from just one.)

So I guess I agree with everyone.  Topres are nice, if you like that sort of thing.  Zealios are nice, if you like those.  And clears are nice, too.

Although I'm not a huge fan of returning things, in your place I might buy something like the CODE from Amazon, and if you hate it, or it's too loud, just return it.  The Topres are a lot harder, because they're crazy expensive and the folks selling them aren't big fans of returns.  Elite Keyboards is actually not that far away from where I live, but their showroom is only open on weekdays, which conflicts with this whole job thing I have going, which is why I ended up with the Novatouch.  (Although spring break is coming up... hmm.) 

If your coworkers are all happy with their flat scissor keyboards (like my partner), then I can imagine them complaining about almost anything.  But if one of the quieter keyboards works for you and doesn't drive them crazy (don't they have headphones?!), then all will be good with your world (or at least the keyboard parts).

Good luck!  (And tell us what you buy!)

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 17:27:30 »
Matias Quiet Pro sounds like a reasonable bet. It's not as smooth as MX Blue, but it's tactile and quiet and, most importantly, a fairly light weight like MX Blue. My only concern is that they may take a while to break in.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner