Author Topic: No prizes for guessing what this is the master for...  (Read 2146 times)

Offline __red__

No prizes for guessing what this is the master for...
« on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 00:30:28 »

Only issue is that it is slightly sharp on activation.

Interestingly, that's sized for tall spherical so the smaller sizes should be significantly easier...

Offline 3K

Re: No prizes for guessing what this is the master for...
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 02:11:19 »
I'm very interested...
Just curious how the 2u+ caps will fit.

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 02:55:34 »
O.O

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 03:13:38 »
The future looks brighter everyday  :cool:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 03:24:51 »
Now that is interesting!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 07:48:39 »
How much higher than normal does it end up?

What about all those different "profiles" that Cherry caps come in?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline __red__

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 08:52:46 »
How much higher than normal does it end up?

What about all those different "profiles" that Cherry caps come in?
About 1mm with the tall profile. With "normal" profiles it's actually lower but I'd build a different adapter for those to deal with point zero below:

Two design issues;

0) Slightly reduced travel.
1) The actual adapter is dependent on the height of the stem.

I'm not sure solving point zero is possible without either switching (or modifying) springs or doing a one-way modification to the mx cap which is something many may not want to do.

To solve point one I've been experimenting with an insert for the barrel and a sleeve for the stem.

The latter allows you to calibrate the height, the former may be needed to make the latter possible.

Lastly, I'm pretty close to just saying "screw it" and just making a new barrel design but of course that's only useful for F peeps.

Red

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 09:14:03 »
Anything further? This is very interesting. Are you going to be making a lot and would it be possible to get one?

Offline __red__

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 18:50:15 »
Anything further? This is very interesting. Are you going to be making a lot and would it be possible to get one?
I want to avoid casting if I can so now that I know the shape will work I'll be looking toward CNC.

I have time booked on a CNC machine but right now I'm seriously putting thought towards making a machine to mill it.

It's actually not that hard.