Author Topic: Nice find?  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Drexciya

Nice find?
« on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 10:10:31 »
I've already posted on another forum but I'd like to share my story.

I was searching for an Intellimouse 1.1a mouse since mine is getting very tired already (almost 15 years old and still kicking, except mouse1 is double clicking sometimes).
So as I was searching I stumbled upon this ad where the seller was offering 50€ for a bunch of keyboards, games and a hard-drive. One of the keyboards caught my eye since it looked pretty big and something told me it could be a nice find.

I bought this keyboard, a Microsoft one with a mouse (wireless pack) and another cheap rubber dome for, wait for it, 25€ including postage.

I'm completely new to this world of keyboards and this my first mechanical keyboard. I never tried one but it feels AMAZING! All keys are working (some of them feel like they get stuck but I guess with some dirt cleaning I can fix it)

I would like to share some pictures of it. Looks pretty dirty, but I will clean and take care of it with much love! :)

I've googled the model number but I couldn't find anything. (G81-3410LPNPO

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: Tue, 11 August 2015, 10:14:34 by Drexciya »

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Re: Nice find?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 10:14:32 »
As the number indicate it's lasered caps : G81-3410LPNPO
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_article_numbers it's a beautifull case though.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Magna224

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 10:16:08 »
G81s are Cherry MY switches.  I have a few NIB in my closet missing keycaps. Cherrys lasered PBT keycaps are pretty nice mine were doubleshots.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline Drexciya

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 10:16:45 »
Is lasered caps a good or bad thing? I have no clue.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 10:19:25 »

These are lasered PBT keycaps since they're G81-LXXXX and beige. Typically, people like dysubbed PBT or doubleshot ABS more caps. I like the doubleshot ABS so G81-HXXXX. And G81-LXXXX with black switches are POM. Those are nice.

So if I were you, I'd clean the case up and use the case. I don't like MY switches or lasered PBT. If you like them, great. Use them :D.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 10:20:36 »

No lasered is low keycap quality keycap as they don't look very good and aren't the best feeling.
Also My switches aren't the most popular but if you like it good for you.
The case "Peacock" is something people like and you can fit aftermarket pcb in it so it's good.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 14:45:29 »
The keycaps on the G81-3000 with MY switches and lasered keycaps are not entirely compatible with the G80-3000 that has Cherry MX switches . The stabilisers on the stabilised keys are different from Cherry MX and the stems on other keys are off-centre.

On some of Cherry's lasered keyboards the legends are slightly raised so you can feel them, and on others they are not.

Offline Drexciya

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 19:20:04 »
Ok so what kind of PCB can I fit into this case? Any one in particular?

Or can I just replace the MY switches to MX switches?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 00:17:56 »
The 3000 pcb on there : https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73845.0 should fit into it. Verify with Seth he will know sure.
Azerty Propagandiste