Author Topic: The Purpose of a Keyboard Mat?  (Read 9193 times)

Offline TastaturenAuslese

• Formerly temence
  • life marrow suckerer
The Purpose of a Keyboard Mat?
« on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 03:01:31 »
I really like the look of some set ups where you have a really large mouse mat that's under both the mouse and the keyboard. I've always wondered what the purpose of these were though?

It makes sense for a mouse, since it helps with the glide, but the keyboard doesn't really move. Is it to dampen the sound between the keyboard case and the table?
Home: Kishsaver - IBM 6019284/F62 | Work: HHKB Professional 2 Silenced | Temporary Retirement:
More
IBM '89 1391401 Merrill Lynch Financial Edition

They are a functional and practical indulgence.

Offline TastaturenAuslese

• Formerly temence
  • life marrow suckerer
Re: The Purpose of a Keyboard Mat?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 03:02:06 »
And I guess if that were the case (that the keyboard mat was for dampening the sound between the keyboard and the table), can someone recommend a good keyboard mat? :D
Home: Kishsaver - IBM 6019284/F62 | Work: HHKB Professional 2 Silenced | Temporary Retirement:
More
IBM '89 1391401 Merrill Lynch Financial Edition

They are a functional and practical indulgence.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 03:03:29 »
Some keyboards have really crappy stock feet (like the HHKB) and tend to slide a lot on a desk, so the keyboard mats can be an alternative to replacing the feet on a case.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 03:10:40 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59308.0

Although I just use a folded sheet or drawer liner under mine.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Heliobb

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 06:06:17 »
I'm using a wood wrist rest because my keyboards are too hight. I's really better.
But the problem is the wood part is moving sometimes. Have to find something to let it stick on the table.

Here is some pics

Novatouch TKL - Leopold FC660C - PBT my life.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 06:15:21 »
I really like the look of some set ups where you have a really large mouse mat that's under both the mouse and the keyboard. I've always wondered what the purpose of these were though?

The purpose of mine is to please my aesthetic OCD, and it helps me put accidental holes in pieces of paper that I am trying to write notes on. Originally I would put things under my SSK to "protect the feet" but now I am not as paranoid any more. 

I think intended purpose is to hike the price of a product so as to make more money.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 09:02:08 »
I have used them only at a previous workplace where they were on every person's glass desk. Apart from working as a mouse pad it also covered the front edge of the desk.
I tend to - despite some advice on the forum - rest my wrists on the desk in front of the keyboard. Wrists on glass or against a sharp desk edge is not comfortable.

Besides, they allow the mouse to always move all the way to the edge of the keyboard even if the mousepad or keyboard has been nudged out of place.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 09:37:22 »
A mat can also change the sound of the keyboard. I like how it sounds when it sits on some cushion rather then wood.

Offline Johan

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 12:08:05 »
I used to have a qck+ for my keyboard with my first ducky that had massive ping issues. It made the sounds less apparent. I guess it can play nice with your wrists too?
Uh, stuff.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 17:55:03 »
I use mine because I wanna fix my kb/m, mousepad position on my desk.
Or i'll move around left & right, mess up my gaming sitting position in front of my monitor with my foot switches. (Everything is related :D)

And of cos, quieter typing, comfortable for wrist.

Offline Clessiah

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 11:00:53 »
I like to move my keyboard around depending on what I'm doing (gaming, editing, typing, browser...) and I do use different sizes of keyboards depending on my mood. However, I always prefer to have my mouse placed right against my keyboard. With a regular mouse mat, I need to move the mouse mat every time I move/switch the keyboard. With mat that is big enough to go underneath the keyboard I can move my keyboard freely without having to adjust the location of the mouse mat at all.

Offline Doyniish

• Good you
    • Power Hour Playlists
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 09:49:15 »
I use one at work to dampen the noise. Seems to work well.