Author Topic: Scoops vs. Bars vs. Nipples Discussion Thread [reloaded]  (Read 29791 times)

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
Re: Scoops vs. Bars vs. Nipples Discussion Thread [reloaded]
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 18:52:13 »

Self fulfilling prophecies, where masochistic people ****post a thread only to make you notice that it is full of **** posts.
pot meet kettle

Everyone is now black

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 19:47:13 »

Self fulfilling prophecies, where masochistic people ****post a thread only to make you notice that it is full of **** posts.
pot meet kettle

Everyone is now black

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 19:51:08 »
This is insane. No one should care this much about bars, nips or scoops. And everyone is allowed their own preference.

That beings said, here is what I think: 

- The keyboard I'm using has scoops, I find that pretty pleasant.
- My stand alone numpad has a bar. I didn't even know that until I looked.
- I have nipples. Those are my favorite.  :cool:

At least the old thread had nipple jokes.
Awesome! We have nipple jokes again.

I have nipples and I'm a joke.

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 19:55:25 »
This is insane. No one should care this much about bars, nips or scoops. And everyone is allowed their own preference.

confirmed?

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 19:58:15 »

Show Image

confirmed?
How was that Google image search for "nipple"?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 19:58:55 »

Show Image

confirmed?

Not as fun as I'd hoped tbh fam

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 20:00:36 »
More

Show Image

confirmed?
Not as fun as I'd hoped tbh fam

Hope this helps

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 21:22:13 »
Serious response:

This AND the last thread is no longer about productive discussion regarding our subjective opinions, and deteriorated to retarded trolling and ****posts.

BUT hey, sometimes people gotta voice their genius opinions like this one:

We needs threads like this, otherwise they tend to spill out into lots of other threads.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 21:24:32 »
So this is a serious question (although it can be taken as non-serious for more banter):

What are the differences between scoops, bars, and nipples?  I think I know what bars are as the IBM M seems to have them, but are there different placements for bars other than just the very bottom of the keycap?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 21:29:55 »
So this is a serious question (although it can be taken as non-serious for more banter):

What are the differences between scoops, bars, and nipples?  I think I know what bars are as the IBM M seems to have them, but are there different placements for bars other than just the very bottom of the keycap?

I've never seen bars anywhere than the edge of the keycap upper surface.

Nipples are generally always centrally placed.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Polymer

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 22:27:50 »

Bars are what you're seeing on you Model M..and most keyboards out there have bars as just a de facto standard.
Some keycaps have nipples which are just dots, generally in the middle or middle/bottom of the key.
Scoops, in this context, are the GMK scooped keys (F and J).  They're shaped differently so they sort of hug your fingers because you're fitting them down slightly from a normal key (or it feels like that anyways).  Take the normal curvature of the top part of the keycap (the part your fingers touch) and make it slightly more concave...

The discussion has started because GMK group buys don't have bars as an option and they're quickly dismissed because some people don't believe anyone could prefer bars over scoops...but I think this thread has shown there is an interest in having it as an option and it makes perfect sense to do so....

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 23:13:00 »

Bars are what you're seeing on you Model M..and most keyboards out there have bars as just a de facto standard.
Some keycaps have nipples which are just dots, generally in the middle or middle/bottom of the key.
Scoops, in this context, are the GMK scooped keys (F and J).  They're shaped differently so they sort of hug your fingers because you're fitting them down slightly from a normal key (or it feels like that anyways).  Take the normal curvature of the top part of the keycap (the part your fingers touch) and make it slightly more concave...

The discussion has started because GMK group buys don't have bars as an option and they're quickly dismissed because some people don't believe anyone could prefer bars over scoops...but I think this thread has shown there is an interest in having it as an option and it makes perfect sense to do so....
Thank you both for the great responses.  In a community where customization is king, I could hardly see dismissing a detail as 'not needed' without some sort of backlash.

I wonder if someone has thought about making a pair of 'boobcaps' with nipples for the f and j, lol.  So wrong and yet maybe so right?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 23:32:01 »

Damn sharp-nippled bastard!

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 23:38:53 »

Thank you both for the great responses.  In a community where customization is king, I could hardly see dismissing a detail as 'not needed' without some sort of backlash.

I wonder if someone has thought about making a pair of 'boobcaps' with nipples for the f and j, lol.  So wrong and yet maybe so right?
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66214.0
Don't think they ever got made besides the protos
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 00:43:33 »

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66214.0
Don't think they ever got made besides the protos
Wow, just wow.  I can't think of anything innovative anymore. :(  Darn you Internet!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 01:56:51 »

I agree (not about the boobcaps, but about dismissing an option as 'not needed'). It's really the "scoops master race" refusing to even acknowledge that some people may actually prefer bars and that the less than $2 cost of including them is not acceptable that's making this such an issue, IMHO. When there are other options that DO get included that cost more and have even less people who use them.

As a keyset designer I'd just include the bars. Minimal cost increase for a decent target market increase and better resale value. Why not?
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 08:42:56 »

I agree (not about the boobcaps, but about dismissing an option as 'not needed'). It's really the "scoops master race" refusing to even acknowledge that some people may actually prefer bars and that the less than $2 cost of including them is not acceptable that's making this such an issue, IMHO. When there are other options that DO get included that cost more and have even less people who use them.

As a keyset designer I'd just include the bars. Minimal cost increase for a decent target market increase and better resale value. Why not?
It's odd how some features that are critical get overlooked for form.  It's just two keycaps--just make it an option.  Like you said, the cost is minimal.  Hell, include all three and call it an option/feature/marketing tidbit.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 08:44:03 »
What are you bars fan opinion on gateron homing keys? If you don't know they are scooped + bars.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 08:44:36 »
HHKB has bars.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 09:12:50 »
HHKB has bars.
HHKB needs scoops. And a flipped spacebar. And MX compatible sliders. And an aluminum case...these are the things I have been told. Except for that whole aluminum case thing, that seems to have not gone as planned.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 09:33:10 »
HHKB has bars.
HHKB needs scoops. And a flipped spacebar. And MX compatible sliders. And an aluminum case...these are the things I have been told. Except for that whole aluminum case thing, that seems to have not gone as planned.

Why must you hurt me so badly?
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 09:33:41 »
HHKB has bars.

bars confirmed wrong.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 09:34:55 »

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 09:35:44 »
HHKB has bars.

Why must you hurt me so badly?
I'm just repeating what I've heard. I want to be like everyone else! Isn't that what we do here?

I still have no HHKB, but one day...If it makes you feel any better when I do get one I probably won't flip the spacebar, no promises though.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 12:39:45 »
What are you bars fan opinion on gateron homing keys? If you don't know they are scooped + bars.

I like them. They're very distinctive and the bars make them easy for me to locate. For some sets I'd prefer plain bars, but I could live with all Cherry sets I buy coming with those double-homing option caps.

TBH, I can actually live without ANY homing options on F and J on my "casual" boards (and I do with Penumbra on my home PC), but for work boards I need bars or something very like them (off the cap centre, but some sort of "bump" that's easy to find and feel with fingertips).
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 05:40:22 »
Model M has bars.

Model F too, probably.

Offline unoab

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 16:03:20 »
Model F too, probably.

The few model F boards I have had no homing indicators at all.  So that includes both the AT/XT boards with single piece keycaps and the F122 with 2 piece caps, but I wouldn't put it past IBM to have many variations/revisions where one might have had some indicators.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 20:08:54 »
Model F too, probably.

The few model F boards I have had no homing indicators at all.  So that includes both the AT/XT boards with single piece keycaps and the F122 with 2 piece caps, but I wouldn't put it past IBM to have many variations/revisions where one might have had some indicators.

Oh, fair enough.

I understood that they used similar, if not exactly the same keycaps.  Perhaps not.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 23:43:27 »

Show Image

confirmed?

Joke's on you! That's his nipple he took from a selfie.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline E3E

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 00:27:17 »
I have to admit, I'm enjoying rubbing the nibbles of my AT101's F & J keys right now. Oooh~ Yeah~

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 00:28:58 »
I have to admit, I'm enjoying rubbing the nibbles of my AT101's F & J keys right now. Oooh~ Yeah~

This is now a nipple gif thread.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 02:17:28 »

Show Image

but...but...I want more scoops :(

Two scoops actually. Just right.

Three is just too many.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 02:18:39 »

Show Image

but...but...I want more scoops :(

Two scoops actually. Just right.

Show Image

Three is just too many.

Show Image

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 07:32:52 »
haha!  Where's a gif for bars!

Offline Kola93

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 21:25:18 »
Scoops are the best, no doubt.

They are exclusive and rare. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have typed on them, so I can understand if some people, not having used scoops for a good amount of time, to prefer the bars they are more familiar with.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 02:21:21 »
Scoops are the best, no doubt.

They are exclusive and rare. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have typed on them, so I can understand if some people, not having used scoops for a good amount of time, to prefer the bars they are more familiar with.

Do you need to type on a nipple to remember how bad it is?  :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 05:28:13 by Giorgio »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 02:21:47 »
Erased message sorry.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 05:27:33 by Giorgio »

Offline E3E

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 03:39:01 »
They are exclusive and rare.

Sometimes, you just want to be a shiba inu twinkie.

Offline Jhonan

• Chicks love duck pics...
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 11:17:58 »
Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I've ever used a keyboard that doesn't have bars...

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 17:47:29 »
Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I've ever used a keyboard that doesn't have bars...

You should try it sometime, much better :thumb:
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 17:53:00 »

I feel that's the case with the majority of people, that's why I'm a big advocate of scoops, and wish more people would try it out (for a period of time) so they can make their own informed judgement. :)

It's quite nice and smooth.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Jhonan

• Chicks love duck pics...
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 18:44:15 »
Just put a set of dolch on my wifes board... it came with blank, scoop and deeper scoop, have the deeper scoop on there atm, and they're... interesting...

Offline Herothereu

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 18:49:14 »
Who wouldn't like nips?

Offline Kola93

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 23:17:22 »

Sometimes, you just want to be a shiba inu twinkie.

Doges are the best! ^-^

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #95 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 04:24:54 »
HHKB has bars.

Have we finished now?

Offline faycheung

• Noob
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 04:32:23 »
How about no nips, no scoops, no bars? Like the Model Fs?

Or am I just crazy?  :p

Offline Giorgio

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 09:08:28 »
Wow, and something just threw a horseshoe in the game, lol!

Offline dutC4

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 09:13:53 »
 :blank:
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 December 2016, 15:09:53 by dutC4 »