Author Topic: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2 - Launches June 4th 2019 on Drop.com  (Read 299660 times)

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
Re: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2 - Data Analyzed (Page 23)
« Reply #1200 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 05:54:47 »
So people are going to be pissed off no matter what Oblotzky chooses to be in the base kit, so he should just choose what he wants. Am I reading that right? :D

Oblotzky needs to obtain the Time Stone and see 14,000,605 possibilities.
Them he may find one possible path to keep everyone happy.  :p

See you on April 24th for the final kit reveal.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #1201 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 06:43:20 »
At this point, O man just offer kits that you want, getting tired of same crap again n again from all the folks here, it’s not a bespoke drop pplz, you take good with bad and if you want that particular setup that you like then get another job to pay for it, or raid yr parents cc.

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #1202 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 07:57:22 »

You both seem to have forgotten the scenario where Monochrome people would just not buy anything at all if there was no Monochrome option.

That's a fair point.  I also wonder if some of the "monochrome regular" participants would have gone with "monochrome git" if that were an option.

I've been in for git mods from the beginning, so I'm certainly not upset that I have to buy fewer kits.

I don't think it's ridiculous to have the same discussion several times in a 20+ page thread, however.  People ***** about similar questions being asked in IC threads often and that could easily be solved by the OP adding relevant answers to an FAQ section in the first post.  Had I just came upon this thread, there's no way I'd be reading 20+ pages of mostly sarcastic bull**** to try to find an answer to a question.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #1203 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 08:14:00 »

You both seem to have forgotten the scenario where Monochrome people would just not buy anything at all if there was no Monochrome option.

That's a fair point.  I also wonder if some of the "monochrome regular" participants would have gone with "monochrome git" if that were an option.

I've been in for git mods from the beginning, so I'm certainly not upset that I have to buy fewer kits.

I don't think it's ridiculous to have the same discussion several times in a 20+ page thread, however.  People ***** about similar questions being asked in IC threads often and that could easily be solved by the OP adding relevant answers to an FAQ section in the first post.  Had I just came upon this thread, there's no way I'd be reading 20+ pages of mostly sarcastic bull**** to try to find an answer to a question.

Yeah I definitely should add a FAQ to the first post.

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #1204 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 18:30:12 »
Are there any comparison photos of Oblivion alphas and mod colours with L9 and Carbon mods?

Offline Yeoh

Re: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2
« Reply #1205 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 18:33:14 »
Even before the april joke was clear (from people responses in this thread) that GIT mods were wanted more than regular mods.

Despite what you have decided to acknowledge, there are pages and pages of people asking for regular mods in the base, and git only being defended by the same few people over and over (including the designer unfortunately, haha!)

I guess it's time to repeat pages 1-10 of this thread where we decide on regular or git mods in the base kit. The regular mods people have started posting their votes, with some backlash from git mods advocates. Can we get more of the silent git mods folks to voice their desire for git mods in the base kit? A simple "+1 for git mods" seemed to work well before.

So far those asking for regular mods have far outweighed those advocating for git. For instance, since your post there have been 3 or so defending git, and 7+ advocating for regular mods.

All of which is moot, considering the decision ultimately lies with the designer, and his mind is all but made up.

People just want Oblivion, they dgaf if the novelties are part of the base set and I have a feeling that if they aren't part of the base set that you know they won't sell very well despite using data from an entirely different user base and profile (SA) buy, data from an April fool's joke thread and the few vocal minorities that keep angrily defending the decision throughout this IC.

People that already have Oblivion probably aren't going to buy another entire base set just to get the git novelties. They aren't going to buy a colored mod kit since they already have them. They will buy the git mod kit and the monochrome mods separately.

You've already stated that people are just going to default to the git mods because they aren't going to spring for the colored mods or other mod kits. If you're so g-darn sure because of your "data" that the git mods will sell so well, then why not put them in a separate kit, you know like most keysets do with the "novelties" and make an actual base kit with the colored mods?

How dare you make so much sense.

Unfortunately it might be too late for that at this point. Despite git being included in the base, I for one am glad Oblotzky has listened to as much feedback as he has already, and im looking forward to the gb!

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #1206 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 18:45:48 »
Even before the april joke was clear (from people responses in this thread) that GIT mods were wanted more than regular mods.

Despite what you have decided to acknowledge, there are pages and pages of people asking for regular mods in the base, and git only being defended by the same few people over and over (including the designer unfortunately, haha!)

I guess it's time to repeat pages 1-10 of this thread where we decide on regular or git mods in the base kit. The regular mods people have started posting their votes, with some backlash from git mods advocates. Can we get more of the silent git mods folks to voice their desire for git mods in the base kit? A simple "+1 for git mods" seemed to work well before.

So far those asking for regular mods have far outweighed those advocating for git. For instance, since your post there have been 3 or so defending git, and 7+ advocating for regular mods.

All of which is moot, considering the decision ultimately lies with the designer, and his mind is all but made up.

It's the same few people defending it because we're vocal. Those that are happy with something usually have less reason to be vocal compared to those unhappy with something. There have been others that speak up about wanting git mods, they just go less noticed because they're not writing essays to change the base kit. You can see it in the data too, both for the "unreliable" April Fool's data (I still can't tell if we're salty about being tricked because it was too convincing or if we're convinced the data is a hoax because everyone knew it was a joke :-\) and for the SA Oblivion group buy. It was roughly 400 Git to 600 Regular in SA Oblivion. That's cash-money decision-making, which doesn't lie. I'd wager the preference is either 50/50 or still 40/60 based on comments in this IC and the 4/1 GROUP_BUY.
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #1207 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 21:04:43 »
I definitely want regular mods, but getting two sets of arrows in the base makes it so 3 kits can cover two 65-75% boards now, so I'm happy. Outside of my festering wound that still hasn't healed since April Fools  :))

Offline YouGotRioted

« Reply #1208 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 21:38:21 »
I'm in for one assembly kit, and maybe also a base kit (would prefer the git mods).

Offline crystalflame

« Reply #1209 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 21:47:19 »
+1 git mods.

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #1210 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 10:23:53 »
I suppose someone can always run a small buy on here for the oblivion alphas if they don't end up as a kit and that way everyone can be happy.

Offline maximize

« Reply #1211 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 12:09:18 »
One caveat to go with the data is that it doesn't include responses from the big-brained people who weren't fooled by the post. I think it's fair to assume that those big-brained people would all purchase regular modifiers. That is all, thanks.

Big brained people goes for git modifiers because there is an high chance that they are developers and use GIT everyday.  In general, a good amount of the keeb nerds here are into IT/developer jobs and/or had to do anything with GIT. 

Basically every other set has regular mods, this doesn't, and apparently the majority wants git modifiers.

Oh my god, I was being sarcastic. Sorry for inadvertently continuing the Git mods v regular mods argument, y'all. This isn't life or death, and I will accept whatever Oblotzky produces with open arms and open wallet.

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #1212 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 12:16:09 »
I am late to the party after the analyzed data, but I do hope in future keysets, something like the 40's "kit" will be considered an option.   I loved the idea of being able to purchase just the alphas and 40% mods all in 1 go. 

Obviously this changes things significantly, but it's something I think you could consider.  Especially if you include the Ortho mods in that kit because for me and I'm sure some other folks, there is some small key overlap in between the 2.

Thanks!
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline nguyenhimself

[IC] GMK Oblivion V2 - Data Analyzed (Page 23)
« Reply #1213 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 13:55:03 »

The git people (heh, git) will speak up if OP announces that R2 will be an exact clone of R1 with standard mods and all.
Otherwise, what do we care? We’re getting exactly what we want already.
We’re busy enough saving money for all teh kits.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 April 2019, 00:36:16 by nguyenhimself »

Offline swangful

« Reply #1214 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 14:00:32 »

The git people (heh, git) will speak up if OP announces that R2 will be an exact clone of R1 with standard mods and all.
We’re busy enough saving money for all the teh kits.

Yup. I want git, didn't feel a need to voice.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #1215 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 15:08:49 »

We’re busy enough saving money for all the teh kits.

Yup. I want git, didn't feel a need to voice.

GIT GIT GIT GIT GIT

Exactly, only if Oblotzky will change it again there will be a brainstorm of git people (again)

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #1216 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 15:52:52 »
I’ve been mostly quiet, but now feel compelled to restate: +1 Git.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #1217 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 20:07:44 »
+1 to git as well.

Also, it's probably a long shot, but is there any chance of having a duplicate 2u convex spacebar in either the assembly kit or the spacekeys kit? Some keyboards like Boardwalk or Planck/Preonic variants use two 2u spacebars.

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
« Reply #1218 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 20:17:56 »
git gud

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #1219 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 20:57:46 »
Yeah **** it, I want cli text mods in my text editor theme keyset too.

Git +1

Offline Furikurichemy

Offline Yonben

« Reply #1221 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 02:44:31 »
Would definitely prefer regular mods instead of git mods personally. Maybe a poll or such is in order?

Offline mkarlsson

« Reply #1222 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 03:05:03 »
+1 regular

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #1223 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 03:36:47 »
Would definitely prefer regular mods instead of git mods personally. Maybe a poll or such is in order?

I think the April Fool's "group buy" is pretty strong data for the population of geekhack users that follow this IC, because everyone who made a serious reply was under the assumption that "this is it. It's finally happening." And we were all given our own choices into specific, targeted mod kits. Is that sample representative of all people that will participate in this group buy? No, since the group buy will be on massdrop, and not everyone made a post. A sample size of 632 is pretty damn big, though; the real question is the reliability of the data collection.

If you put up a poll here you'll run into similar issues in the data collection, since it is voluntary responses no matter which way you cut it. Only people who follow the IC, on geekhack, who care about this debate enough to want to shift or reaffirm the designer's vision of Oblivion V2, will care enough to respond. And it isn't at the level of "putting money down", which to me is much more reliable data than answering the hypothetical "What would you buy?" Voting with your wallet is way more significant than simple talk. That's why I keep referring back to the April Fool's and SA Oblivion data. It's the strongest indicator.

e: There's an implication in your suggestion to do a poll that I agree with: simply using replies to this thread is not a good way to answer the question of whether or not more people prefer git mods to regular mods.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 April 2019, 03:47:31 by fatpolomanjr »
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.

Offline Yonben

« Reply #1224 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 05:11:29 »

I think the April Fool's "group buy" is pretty strong data for the population of geekhack users that follow this IC, because everyone who made a serious reply was under the assumption that "this is it. It's finally happening." And we were all given our own choices into specific, targeted mod kits. Is that sample representative of all people that will participate in this group buy? No, since the group buy will be on massdrop, and not everyone made a post. A sample size of 632 is pretty damn big, though; the real question is the reliability of the data collection.

If you put up a poll here you'll run into similar issues in the data collection, since it is voluntary responses no matter which way you cut it. Only people who follow the IC, on geekhack, who care about this debate enough to want to shift or reaffirm the designer's vision of Oblivion V2, will care enough to respond. And it isn't at the level of "putting money down", which to me is much more reliable data than answering the hypothetical "What would you buy?" Voting with your wallet is way more significant than simple talk. That's why I keep referring back to the April Fool's and SA Oblivion data. It's the strongest indicator.

e: There's an implication in your suggestion to do a poll that I agree with: simply using replies to this thread is not a good way to answer the question of whether or not more people prefer git mods to regular mods.

Completely agreeing here, and def what I meant. But voting with your wallet is already "too late" if you're the GB runner and trying to find the most appealing base kit.

Offline thornkin

« Reply #1225 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 11:16:35 »
git++

I'm actually on the fence, I would be fine with either one, but the designer gets to make some decisions and I respect that.

Was there any movement on the Vim front?  Are we going to get some Vim keys with this programmer-based set?  Stack Overflow just released its survey and Vim is the 5th most popular dev environment, with 25% of all devs using it.  That should be a good reason to support it, right?

Sent from my Mediatek MTK8173 Chromebook using Tapatalk

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #1226 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 11:58:45 »
+1 to git as well.

Also, it's probably a long shot, but is there any chance of having a duplicate 2u convex spacebar in either the assembly kit or the spacekeys kit? Some keyboards like Boardwalk or Planck/Preonic variants use two 2u spacebars.
A second 2 unit spacebar would be really useful for me as well

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #1227 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 14:07:16 »
I'm prepared to get the monochrome normal mods in addition to the base (with git I assume) and another alpha kit

Offline maximize

« Reply #1228 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 15:27:46 »
Can we please stop with the +1 [insert mod preference here] posts since we've already done this once ITT
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 April 2019, 15:33:06 by maximize »

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #1229 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 16:44:59 »
Can we please stop with the +1 [insert mod preference here] posts since we've already done this once ITT

I agree with this, as long as no one tries to use numbers of posts advocating for mod preference as being representative of the actual proportion of people who want it.

Offline Dovi

« Reply #1230 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 17:58:13 »
To add to the convo as a non-programmer who missed the last MD buy and isn't a regular on KB forums...monochrome and hagoromo on a full KB layout gets my vote. The git mods really don't do it for me.

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #1231 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 11:05:23 »

Just top reading the thread and you'll be fine.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #1232 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 11:06:32 »

Just top reading the thread and you'll be fine.

+1

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #1233 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 08:39:52 »
The much anticipated moment has arrived! I present to you, the Lynx Daddy F-Row by the amazing wixxzblu

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #1234 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 08:53:32 »
I've always wanted something like a TKL with extra F rows above the board. Is this a real project?

X-keys makes this which I've used:
https://xkeys.com/xk16.html

Offline w3bb0

• Keyboard Moment
    • Breakpoint
« Reply #1235 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 09:11:07 »
Sorry if this already been discussed but will this set get iso support either in a small kit with a couple keys or in the base kit?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline omjak

« Reply #1236 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 13:18:31 »
The ISO dilemma is the real final obstacle to solve/figure out.  Everyone else is pretty much covered (reg mods, hagoromo alphas, 2nd set of directionals(arrows) all that is available in one way or another)  - so I hope those who use ISO will also get to enjoy this V2.

Yes I realize there's also Vim kit that needs attention, but I doubt it's a deal breaker for anyone.

Offline Double_D

« Reply #1237 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 14:08:53 »
Not enough love for the Norde kit recently, just saying!

Offline w3bb0

• Keyboard Moment
    • Breakpoint
« Reply #1238 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 14:09:59 »
Not enough love for the Norde kit recently, just saying!
Why a norde kit would be great, basic support would be great to!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #1239 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 15:49:53 »
The much anticipated moment has arrived! I present to you, the Lynx Daddy F-Row by the amazing wixxzblu

Show Image

Show Image

How am I supposed to git push, git paid with that? It's all help and print screen-pauses.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1240 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 17:03:17 »

Show Image

Show Image

april fools was 2 weeks ago
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #1241 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 17:04:30 »

Show Image

Show Image

april fools was 2 weeks ago

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline uood5

« Reply #1242 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 16:39:01 »
Any update on the colevrak kit? I know it isn't widely adopted, but it'd be the one thing holding me back from a true endgame. Please, help me get out!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #1243 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 17:00:10 »
Any update on the colevrak kit? I know it isn't widely adopted, but it'd be the one thing holding me back from a true endgame. Please, help me get out!

Ha! No one simply gets out of endgame!!

But I'm actually curious about this too.

Offline uood5

« Reply #1244 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 06:23:06 »

Ha! No one simply gets out of endgame!!

But I'm actually curious about this too.

Haha I'm already dropping far more on my "endgame" that I first intended, it's got to the point where I'm thinking "if I've spent this much I may as well spend a bit more to make it perfect". I think it'll keep me happy for a while

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #1245 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 21:15:49 »
Colevrak would mean me buying two kits, for what it's worth.

Offline chriszhu

• (* ̄(エ) ̄*)''
« Reply #1246 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 22:04:39 »
Looks so good! 😍

Offline Quebectech

« Reply #1247 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 23:45:02 »
After buying an ALT, i'd really like to go the Ortholinear+Oblivion Cadet route. I already one keycap set on the way and really want those too... i wonder where i'm gonna put all these keyboards...
Work : IBM M, mfg. Scotland 1997 P/N 42H1295
Play :  Massdrop ALT

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #1248 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 08:00:31 »
Just sent all the kits to CK for pricing (already got an automated reply though that he's out of the office until Friday, but not a problem). I've also spoken with Yanbo last night and we have a firm launch date now, I will be sharing that with you very soon. We're almost there bois.

Offline kakiharaOne

« Reply #1249 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 08:08:16 »
Is this assembly kit the only GMK set to have an R1 1.5u? Either I’m not looking hard enough or this is a unicorn key.