geekhack Community > Off Topic

Fermentation Containers

(1/15) > >>

tp4tissue:
They're crazy expensive.  tiny one is $38

Only millionaires can afford to eats dat sauerkraut

What do you guys use ?

Updat_
My Build thus far.... (using on hand containers)   Thoughtz ?

Having trouble keeping the cabbage under the Juice, because I don't have weights that can fit in there that's wide enough.

I'm thinking this is probably good enough because the carbon dioxide should displace enough oxygen, I just have to release it here/there slightly.  Do I even need the plastic wrap, without it, I don't have to release everyday, it'll do it on its own no ?

Yellow, plastic wrap

Red, Cap forms water seal, edge is under water.

Dotted line, rubber band

Basement temperature: 70 F, 21 C

kajahtaa:
Dad always used glass. Don't clamp down the lid unless you enjoy glass.

tp4tissue:
do they splodz?

fohat.digs:
You don't need fancy stuff. People did this for millennia before refrigeration (and of course had no idea about microbes). Centuries ago they filled up a barrel with whole heads of cabbage and topped it up with salt water, then waited a few months.

I use glass casseroles (so I can see the progress of my project) and turning the tops upside-down is ideal for both weighting and sealing during fermentation (put it on a pan in case it bubbles out). If you can find glass tops with minimal doming that is preferable.

After a week I just put it in regular jars in the refrigerator (not fully tightened).

noisyturtle:
You don't need some fancy container. Use Ball glass jars like people have been using for 200 years dude.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version