geekhack Marketplace > Group Buys and Preorders

[GB] Campine mk. III milled aluminum case kit Group Buy

(1/11) > >>

AlexAtPanc:
Well. It's really been something. Except for a couple custom orders, all products have been shipped, and from what I've been told, have gotten into and changed hands a few times. I honestly hope that everyone is enjoying their purchases.

One sale listing of one Campine described the GB process as “laughably long”. I cannot disagree. It was fraught with issues from beginning to end. One of the most annoying details I contended with was the finish on the aluminum frames. You'll remember, the first ones were absolutely atrocious. Inconsistent, poorly qc’ed and actually chipped in the exact same spot. Then I had them refinish the parts, but the interior of 60% of the frames showed machining marks, which weren’t noticed until the partial order was done being powdercoated. This meant that a second refinishing process was needed, after doing some serious hand-filing on each piece as they were processed, after being media blasted.

No excuses, just reasons here. I’m pretty upset about how long this GB took, and trying to deliver a “low-cost” custom 60% case/kit meant trying to squeeze as much value from more simple production processes (like finishing, blasting, powdercoating) as humanly possible. Fate conspired to throw wrenches into every single part of the GB process, and for that, I apologize. Very little went my way on this GB including the chicanery at the end.

I’ve been getting pics of the boards and it seems people are enjoying them, when they got to their owners. If you’re reading this and are not happy or have a question, please let me know and I’ll do my best to rectify the situation.

I’m working on finalizing manufacturers for the angled bottom, if there are those of you still interested in that. I’ve narrowed it down to two vendors and will be posting a new IC shortly. I realized that emailing the original Campine order list is mostly a bad idea, since a fair portion of the original purchasers don’t have their boards any longer.

For those of you looking for information on programming the ORG60: QMK has a directory for this PCB, so it’s relatively straightforward, assuming you use the supplied keymap. JTMchorse has graciously supplied his keymaps for HHKB and HHKB ISO. It’s pretty simple to change these to your preferred layout, if neither of them suit your configuration.

https://github.com/pancinteractive/qmk_firmware

Thanks to all for sticking this out. It was seriously a grueling slog to the finish line, but the end of it is essentially here. I’ll be updating here with additional information.

Here are some stats, in case anyone cares about that kind of thing.

Direct email updates sent: 24
Apologies offered: 12
Times new shipping date was offered: 8
Trips to manu brick-and-mortar location: 6
Colors offered: 9
Colors added since GB conclusion: 3
Packages shipped: 67
Secondary packages shipped because I forgot parts in the original package: 6

And here's an album of finished Campines.

If anyone is interesting in picking up a new Campine of their very own, my store is open for business.
Thanks to everyone for their patience, and I hope everyone is enjoying their purchases!!!

October update
MoreFolks, we are going to be delayed.

TL;DR - Prod. samples are not valid, lost our spot in line, we are looking at pushing the ship date from Nov. 3 to Nov. 22-24. I’m very sorry and am crushed to have to send this announcement.

I’m not really one to beat around the bush on bad news. Today I went in to take pictures of the first production samples of the cases. After handling them and checking dimensions, I found that the drillpoints of the case and the drillpoints on the acrylic diffusers and steel floorplates are not aligned and countersunk incorrectly. The domino effect of this means that I need to push the shipping date out by ~20 days.

I took quite a bit of time to inspect the few pieces that were produced, and I am not satisfied that the current design can pass muster. I have my CAD program open right this moment modifying the design, and I am scheduling a call with the manufacturers CAD director to evaluate and ratify the new design files. We need to jump back into the production queue as well, which is why the ship date needs to be pushed out.

I know this is easy for me to say via email, but I’m pretty upset by this development. I was counting on having these in folks hands for the Northern California and the Houston meetups, and I was going to time shipping to line up with the opening of my new storefront, which will stock anything and everything DIY-keyboard related.

Needless to say, I’m quite deflated, which again I realize is easy for me to say. I am going to do my level best to make it up to everyone in this Group Buy, and as a thank you for being part of it. I know that the case will be worth the wait.

I’ll be updating everyone as soon as I have more information. I’m posting this info to Reddit and GH to ensure everyone is aware of the modified timeline, and to own my malefaction.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, please let me know. Again, I am incredibly sorry for the inconveneince.

Original GB info
MoreHello all,

This is the start of the Group Buy for the Campine Mk.III high profile 60% case for both standard and HHKB layout options.
TL;DR:

60% case kit at the lowest settings for $142 shipped, most expensive option with all included extras (all you need are switches and a soldering iron) is $252 shipped.

ENTRIES CLOSED

Pictures:

MoreStandard layout

HHKB layout

Assembly diagram

Render album (hat tip Oblotzky)
The assembled case should clock in approximately 4 pounds, minus keyboard internals. The case can be assembled with both the acrylic diffuser and the steel bottom, or one or the other. As the options below indicate, there will be the option to add our favorite feet to add an incline.

I am planning having the parts powder coated, to maintain a consistent finish between the aluminum and the steel. Powder-coating is a viable aesthetic option for both aluminum and steel parts. The Form has pictures of real world examples.

MOQ is 25 on each layout. The parts will be manufactured, receive coloring post-treatment, be packed and dropped off for shipping within a 70 mile radius. I will evaluating the parts during each leg of production. There will not be a cap on the order amount.

The GB entry period will run from today, until 8/11. At that point, I will send invoices and will provide 72 hours for payment. Orders will be placed on 8/15, with production completion expected on 11/3.
Prices:

* Standard layout - milled aluminum frame,  assembly hardware included: $118
* HHKB layout - milled aluminum frame,  assembly hardware included:  $138
* Acrylic diffuser: +$12, compatible with both frame options
* Steel floor plate: +$12, compatible with both frame options
* Add a stainless steel universal switchplate: +$26 (add $5 for custom colored plate)
* Add a ORG60 PCB: +$27
* Add cone fee): +$4
* Add stabs (1x 7u / 4x 2u): +$9
* Add an additional frame: $10 off price above (Standard = $108, HHKB = $128)
* Shipping is $12 CONUS, $18 CAN, $25 everywhere else.  Colors available: black, white, gunmetal, bronze, silver, cyan, crimson, plum, forest green. Samples available on Forms page.

FAQ documentation

AlexAtPanc:
Reserved.

gnmar2723:
Would it be possible to just keep a raw finish?

AlexAtPanc:

--- Quote from: gnmar2723 on Fri, 04 August 2017, 21:52:06 ---Would it be possible to just keep a raw finish?

--- End quote ---

I certainly could entertain that option. Would you plan on applying another cosmetic finish to it?

gnmar2723:
Nope, I just like the way the raw metal looks :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version