Author Topic: [GB] Southpaw Extended 65% - 100% Shipped - Cleaning up  (Read 304641 times)

Offline Harms

TMK keymap generator is not recognizing my keyboard. I used a paper clip to initiate the reset. I know that the keyboard is in boot loader mode and my computer recognizes it.

Because on device manager "ATmega32U4" shows up under Atmel devices.

On top of that I have the chrome extension installed as well.

Have you updated the USB driver with zadig? The device manager should show "ATmega32u4dfu" if I recall correctly.

Also, double check that there aren't any errors in your layout. Box outline should be green.
Thanks for the help. I updated the drivers and restarted my PC. I then was able to flash the layout and it read my keyboard.

However, I flash it successfully and the meter goes to 100%, but the layout remains unchanged and it stays as the default layout.

Confusing right.

Have you tried flashing it using the TKG toolkit that does everything offline? That would be a pretty surefire option. It requires you download the files from the compiler and then flash them with the utility that's in the toolkit. I've linked it below.

https://github.com/kairyu/tkg-toolkit

Thanks for the suggestion. It still does not want to behave.

I'm able to flash fine. At least it seems like.

Here is the log.

layout (Fn layer for reference):
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 July 2018, 01:05:53 by Harms »

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
TMK keymap generator is not recognizing my keyboard. I used a paper clip to initiate the reset. I know that the keyboard is in boot loader mode and my computer recognizes it.

Have you updated the USB driver with zadig? The device manager should show "ATmega32u4dfu" if I recall correctly.

Also, double check that there aren't any errors in your layout. Box outline should be green.
Thanks for the help. I updated the drivers and restarted my PC. I then was able to flash the layout and it read my keyboard.

However, I flash it successfully and the meter goes to 100%, but the layout remains unchanged and it stays as the default layout.

Confusing right.

Have you tried flashing it using the TKG toolkit that does everything offline? That would be a pretty surefire option. It requires you download the files from the compiler and then flash them with the utility that's in the toolkit. I've linked it below.

Here is the log.
Show Image

Show Image

Do you have a screenshot of when you compiled the layout in TKG? I think the FN settings could be the cause of the issue.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline Harms

Confusing right.

Here is the log.
Show Image

Show Image

Do you have a screenshot of when you compiled the layout in TKG? I think the FN settings could be the cause of the issue.
I hope it is ahaaha.

Offline flyingalbatross1

Can you clarify what bottom row layout works with a 7u space?

is it 1.25/1.25/1.25 as you would normally expect? or only the 1.25/1.25/1.5(?) that's shown on keyboard layout editor?

it's not 100% clear what's to the left, would this work: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/06eecf26b32970478f3e773e52dfa3d1
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 July 2018, 14:30:47 by flyingalbatross1 »

Offline reconsiderit

Can you clarify what bottom row layout works with a 7u space?

is it 1.25/1.25/1.25 as you would normally expect? or only the 1.25/1.25/1.5(?) that's shown on keyboard layout editor?

it's not 100% clear what's to the left, would this work: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/06eecf26b32970478f3e773e52dfa3d1

With the current plates, the only layouts that work should be the 1.25/1.25/1.25 and 1.25/1.25/1.5. The second of those should work with a 7u space, giving you 1.25/1.25/1.5/7/1/1 bottom row.

Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
Any status on the bent place orders? Thanks
-Dana

Offline briannnn

Would also appreciate an update since the last update quoted 1-2 months for reproduction of aluminum cases and it's been just over two months since the update.

Offline reconsiderit

Would also appreciate an update since the last update quoted 1-2 months for reproduction of aluminum cases and it's been just over two months since the update.

Really sorry that I haven't been updating the GH thread, but at the moment, I am still waiting on the money to be returned to me from KP. There were some conditions that have changed from when I last updated the GH thread, but in short, I need to ship everything that remains back to them before I can get my money back. I've described it more in full on the website update and in the emails that I have sent out. I've linked the update on the website below and I strongly encourage everyone to subscribe to the update emails so you can have an idea of what is happening and when.

Most recent update:
https://switchplate.co/blogs/news/southpaw-gb-update-10

Update email subscription link:
https://switchplate.us17.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=618cf646781228a46f5914218&id=3fc437233f

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

Also wanted to give everyone an idea of what has been sorted out with the new factory so far, but in the end, I had to find a new factory for steel/laser fabrication because, according to KP, the old one was not willing to remanufacture as they probably worried that a second run would be rejected again because of quality. I had samples made to check quality and the quality looks excellent. the cuts are very clean and there was absolutely no residual metal or burrs that developed from the laser work. Below is the sample that I got from them a few weeks back. The only thing that is left is to tweak the finish as the sample I got was sandblasted with a pretty coarse material. Comparing the finish samples with the cases I got, it will be finished at 120 grit to as resemble the pre-rework cases. Note that the case that is being compared to in the last picture is a pre-rework case.

switchplate.co

Offline Harms

Re: [GB] Southpaw Extended 65% - Remanufacturing - Updated 7/20/18
« Reply #309 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 14:34:10 »
I got my problem fixed with help from Lotsati. :)

If anyone experiences the same issue I had. Hit me up.

I had a driver issue where I was suppose to update the driver from lib usb to WinUsb.

After doing that via zag dig it worked like a charm. :)

Offline MC_kb

« Reply #310 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 03:41:05 »
Can't wait for the new batch to come home  :eek:

Come on people, post your build ! I need my fix.

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #311 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 20:35:24 »
I'll post more once it gets rebuilt once more and with a new set.. changing the switches   :p

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #312 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 21:21:53 »
I'll post more once it gets rebuilt once more and with a new set.. changing the switches   :p

Show Image

Looks nice. What're your changing from? And to?

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #313 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 20:23:21 »

Show Image

Looks nice. What're your changing from? And to?

Going from box reds to maybe some silent blacks or another linear switch not too sure, just something pcb mount instead of plate mount switches.

Offline flyingalbatross1

« Reply #314 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 08:38:38 »
Had an update from the proxy - Integrated Case no longer workable :(

I'm leaning towards the aluminium case, does anyone have any tips/feelings about how the aluminium and the bent case differ? Does the bent case have some slope to it? Is the bent case sturdy? Is the aluminium case overly heavy?

I know you're running a full size southpaw right now, will there be a r2 65% or similar at some time in the future?

Offline MC_kb

« Reply #315 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 10:16:37 »

Got it too :(

I'll go for a Bent Plate for $$$ reason. I'd love to read some feedback about it. Is it sturdy enough to not have a little wobble when you hit a key ?

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #316 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 03:54:32 »
Hi any updates here?

Offline flyingalbatross1

« Reply #317 on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 15:10:15 »

I'll go for a Bent Plate for $$$ reason. I'd love to read some feedback about it. Is it sturdy enough to not have a little wobble when you hit a key ?

If my memory doesn't decieve me, in this thread somewhere somebody who had a bent plate said it's amazing. Rock solid, good weight, no flex etc. They were v.happy.

Only reason I went alu case is because I can't cope without that angle! Can't do with a flat board. Otherwise i'd take the bent plate right away.

Offline MC_kb

« Reply #318 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 02:55:04 »

If my memory doesn't decieve me, in this thread somewhere somebody who had a bent plate said it's amazing. Rock solid, good weight, no flex etc. They were v.happy.

Only reason I went alu case is because I can't cope without that angle! Can't do with a flat board. Otherwise i'd take the bent plate right away.

Cool ! That's reassuring  :) Thanks for the reply.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #319 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 08:57:42 »
Hi any updates here?

I got the remfg order from candykeys today and visited the two factories that will be doing the cases and plates. Everything looks good so funds are going to be sent to them and work should start no later than next week. Shouldn't be long from then on out.

switchplate.co

Offline Paopawdecarabao

« Reply #320 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 10:29:41 »
Anyone selling their spot? Let me know i’m willing to take it thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stagione

« Reply #321 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 11:26:49 »
Anyone selling their spot? Let me know i’m willing to take it thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an order for a bent steel case version

Offline Paopawdecarabao

« Reply #322 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 12:04:17 »
pmed

Offline duck pauper

« Reply #323 on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 13:33:13 »
Have the remanufactured boards been sent out? I don't believe I have received anything yet.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #324 on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 15:58:53 »
Have the remanufactured boards been sent out? I don't believe I have received anything yet.

There were some delays in the process and I ended up doing a factory visit earlier this month so things have been pushed back a little. Everything has paid for so I'm awaiting a date of completion from the factory. I'll send out a proper update once I have a confirmed date.

switchplate.co

Offline complexitylvl9001

« Reply #325 on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 16:24:33 »
Hi, mine looks like this but my LED's/RGB's wont turn on, any idea what I'm doing wrong in TMK?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #326 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 03:54:44 »
I've been a little busy lately so I haven't had the chance to update this thread in a real long time. My apologies for that.

I went to visit the factory back in mid august to make sure that things were in place and everything was done as it should be as this is also the factory that will be manufacturing southpaw fs and most likely other projects in the future.

As far as sp65 is concerned, they've completed cnc work and are checking things over before they're sent to finish and anodization. I'll be sending out another update as I get an exact date, but at the moment, delivery for the reworked units is still TBA. Below is one of the cases that'll be checked over and used as a master after I get better pictures from the factory.

Once again, if you have any questions regarding these units that are being manufactured right now, don't hesitate to post here.

switchplate.co

Offline blue sky

Re: [GB] Southpaw Extended 65% - Remanufacturing - Updated 9/14/18
« Reply #327 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 10:05:43 »
The more you wait, the more you enjoy :p (not sure if it is a good translation)  :)

Offline Nigolski

« Reply #328 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 14:23:32 »
is there any way to change the case color before they get anod?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #329 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 22:40:56 »

At this point, everything is locked in as making changes to the order is a lot of work for both me and the factory.

switchplate.co

Offline Nigolski

« Reply #330 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 06:14:49 »

At this point, everything is locked in as making changes to the order is a lot of work for both me and the factory.

Thought so, but thanks for all the hard work you've put in this gb!

Offline Tempus22

« Reply #331 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 09:55:28 »
To anyone still having trouble getting the LED's to work properly on the Southpaw Extended 65%, I did a bit of trial and error and ended up with the following configuration which seems to work.

Following reconsiderit's programming guide in this thread, there are just a few additional steps in kai.tkg.io for the function and LED steps prior to flashing.    Full disclosure, I've never used TKG or programmed a keyboard before in my life, so this may have been obvious to some, but I couldn't find anything online, so I wanted to put this down for anyone else struggling.

Function: I had to add a second Fn key, and set it up to toggle the underglow RGB LED's.  This is located under "Built in Functions", as shown in the image below. This turns the underglow on and off.

LEDs: I got here with a good amount of trial and error, but all the led's seem to be working with the configuration shown below.

204285-0

If there are any issues with the image (It's not displaying properly in the post preview) LEDs are as follows:

LED1   Active Low   Indicator   Num Lock  (do not check 'backlight')
LED2   Active Low   Indicator   Caps Lock  (do not check 'backlight')
LED3   Active Low   None   (do not check 'backlight')
LED4   RGB LED    Number of LED's = 9

I'm still waiting on keycaps and stabs before I can finalize my build, but I'll try to post some glamour shots when it's done!  Thanks to reconsiderit for an awesome layout and all the work that went into (and is still going into) the GB!

Edit: One last thing I was trying but did not succeed on was getting the backlighting to toggle as well as the undgerglow.  I tried setting up a third Fn key and utilized the TGK backlighting toggle feature (with 'backlight' checked for LED3, but that didn't take.  If anyone else has tried and was able to get the backlighting toggle-able, it'd be awesome to know!
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 September 2018, 19:02:58 by Tempus22 »

Offline speaktobrett

« Reply #332 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 16:27:44 »
To anyone still having trouble getting the LED's to work properly on the Southpaw Extended 65%, I did a bit of trial and error and ended up with the following configuration which seems to work.

Following reconsiderit's programming guide in this thread, there are just a few additional steps in kai.tkg.io for the function and LED steps prior to flashing.    Full disclosure, I've never used TKG or programmed a keyboard before in my life, so this may have been obvious to some, but I couldn't find anything online, so I wanted to put this down for anyone else struggling.

Function: I had to add a second Fn key, and set it up to toggle the underglow RGB LED's.  This is located under "Built in Functions", as shown in the image below. This turns the underglow on and off.

LEDs: I got here with a good amount of trial and error, but all the led's seem to be working with the configuration shown below.

(Attachment Link)

If there are any issues with the image (It's not displaying properly in the post preview) LEDs are as follows:

LED1   Active Low   Indicator   Num Lock  (do not check 'backlight')
LED2   Active Low   Indicator   Caps Lock  (do not check 'backlight')
LED3   Active Low   None   (do not check 'backlight')
LED4   RGB LED    Number of LED's = 9

I'm still waiting on keycaps and stabs before I can finalize my build, but I'll try to post some glamour shots when it's done!  Thanks to reconsiderit for an awesome layout and all the work that went into (and is still going into) the GB!

Edit: One last thing I was trying but did not succeed on was getting the backlighting to toggle as well as the undgerglow.  I tried setting up a third Fn key and utilized the TGK backlighting toggle feature (with 'backlight' checked for LED3, but that didn't take.  If anyone else has tried and was able to get the backlighting toggle-able, it'd be awesome to know!

Nice work dude!

Do you mind sharing your full config?

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #333 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 09:56:47 »
@reconsiderit What is the current status of the re-manufacturing process? I haven't been keeping up with the loop and there's a lot of material to read here ;P

I see that you've gotten samples and everything's looking good thus far. Is there any update?

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #334 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 12:35:39 »
@reconsiderit What is the current status of the re-manufacturing process? I haven't been keeping up with the loop and there's a lot of material to read here ;P

I see that you've gotten samples and everything's looking good thus far. Is there any update?

The laser factory just started back up yesterday and they've finished all of the plates as well as the bent plates. I'll ask for some pictures and see what they look like.

As for CNC, I haven't gotten a response back yet but I'll probably hear back today.

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

Re: [GB] Southpaw Extended 65% - Remanufacturing - Updated 10/08/18
« Reply #335 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 19:58:13 »

Plates are done. Color matches the old anodization and the plates are cut nice and straight.

switchplate.co

Offline MC_kb

« Reply #336 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 02:34:04 »
That's a relief  ;D

Thanks for the update !

Offline Tempus22

« Reply #337 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 11:57:14 »

Nice work dude!

Do you mind sharing your full config?

Thanks, I don't mind at all!  I also discovered what I believe to be the issue with toggling backlighting, but again, I know little enough that it's just a guess at this point.

Firstly, I modified the layout shared by Reconsiderit to the following:
205198-0

Layer 1 is pretty simple, basically giving me access to F keys:
205200-1

I'm using the kai.tkg.io Chrome extension with the two layers above and the following Fn and LED configuration:
205202-2

From what I can tell, both Num Lock and the individual key backlighing are controlled by the LED1 row (which Reconsiderit calls for in his programming guide).  This means that if you set that row to have no binding, you can toggle it with the Fn3 key.  Unfortunately in doing so, you no longer have a num lock indicator, and the led for that key just toggles with the rest of the backlighting. I've tried assigning num lock to LED2 and LED3, both to no avail.

The way that I have it set up as shown in the image, Num lock unfortunately also toggles the backlighting, so I've got it reversed just based on preference to have num lock always on when not backlit.  At this point, I've also re-purposed the Fn3 key on my board to be Print Screen, because I'd rather have a useful key until I can get the LED question figured out.

If you get a chance to try anything else and have any input, feel free to share!

Offline Myth

« Reply #338 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 00:51:19 »

Finished building my bent plate board today. First build ever, and I couldn't be more thrilled about the way it turned out. Kailh Pro Purple switches underneath.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 October 2018, 20:44:37 by Myth »

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #339 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 20:25:06 »
Happy 1 Year Birthday folks for me and others who are still waiting  :p  :p

Offline MC_kb

« Reply #340 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 06:00:26 »
Holy sh*t, it's been 1 year already.

GIB SOUTHPAW

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #341 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 01:16:32 »
Alright, we're back in business

Plates arrived yesterday night. I haven't gone through all of them since I have a midterm tomorrow and need to study but I grabbed some quick pictures to throw here.

Plate cuts are absolutely perfect. They're not as straight as an arrow, but they'll straighten themselves out when switches are clipped in. It's not anywhere near bad to the point that they didn't work at all like the last batch.

Dimensions were adjusted so there is no longer a huge gap between the plate and the chassis. This also helped with plate straightness as there was more material around the boarder to keep it from bending in handling/shipping. Material is also AL6063 rather than 5051.

This is the issue that is holding up the cases. The front edge of the angled feet is basically a chisel and after designing a few keyboards with a little more experience, these won't hold up to post process and anodizing. Additionally, you can see how the edges on this one aren't 100% straight since they must undergo hand finishing before anodizing. Another issue caused by the thin edge. I'll be rounding the front and rear edges of the feet so they wont run into ano issues. It won't look nearly as nice but it also won't have a 99% QC fail rate compared to it being produced exactly like this.

Color matching is damn close to perfect. Just need to see how well the fab for the cases matches the colors then.

Stainless bent plates are also here. Same excellent quality as the other items.   :D

Rest of the album is in the link below. Feel free to ask questions here and I'll get to them when I can.
https://imgur.com/a/AUONhJH

switchplate.co

Offline karankshah

Re: [GB] Southpaw Extended 65% - Remanufacturing - Updated 10/31/18
« Reply #342 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 09:07:58 »
These look so good!

What's the word on when bent plates are shipping?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #343 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 21:17:41 »
These look so good!

What's the word on when bent plates are shipping?

Should be some point later this month. I need to QC and count everything before I can ship.

switchplate.co

Offline MC_kb

« Reply #344 on: Fri, 02 November 2018, 05:33:46 »
Sweet !

Thanks for the photos. You must be relieved ! After all the manufacturing issues you encountered...

Offline bearwolfz

« Reply #345 on: Fri, 02 November 2018, 06:28:34 »
Have they also arrived at candykeys? /hopeful European :)

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #346 on: Fri, 02 November 2018, 23:41:44 »
Have they also arrived at candykeys? /hopeful European :)

Not yet. They will soon for sure though.

switchplate.co

Offline werewolf_blitzer

« Reply #347 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 15:41:59 »
Will the raw aluminum ship sooner or are they being redesigned as well?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #348 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 03:53:29 »
Will the raw aluminum ship sooner or are they being redesigned as well?

Those are in the same batch as the other alu cases, so they'll ship at the same time those other ones will

switchplate.co

Offline Tempus22

« Reply #349 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 10:30:40 »
Finally got around to taking a halfway decent shot.

Cheap version of Carbon, but it's built with older box switches, so cheap PBT is the way to go!

206826-0