Author Topic: [opensource] TOAD v2 | 70% keyboard | Now with Alps and aluminum case.  (Read 67218 times)

Offline RealLaugh

used the swill tool cuz im a noob, anything im missing here? assuming measurements for the cut out area are correct... i actually just eyeballed it but pretty sure i gave myself enough space for switches. not sure about the LEDs but not sure if i'll use them either.

Show Image

That looks fine to me aside for the LED holes that might be insufficient, try adding them to see how the plate looks like. Also, consider my last PM void.
Lastly, if you could share the half-plate cutout, I'll be adding that to the second post as it could be useful to someone else.

I would second getting that KLE/Swills code from you if you don't mind! Can someone explain what the benefit of having the middle cut out like that, is it to save costs of getting the plate made, to achieve a specific sound profile once built or to better access the switches for lubing/spring swapping (or something else)?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
i am going to redo the half plate as i didn't save the swill inputs, and will also add the led holes to check for clearance.

basically half plates are for tactile switches, the softer bottom out gives a different experience but still gives the sturdy feel for stabilized keys.
I love Elzy

Offline vafan

Hi there,

I love your project and your keyboard. One think that I need to know is the price.

How much money do you have to pay for things (in details)?

Thank you!

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
How much money do you have to pay for things (in details)?
Much depends on the deals you can make around.

For the case, I myself paid USD 300,00 (shipped to Italy) at Ulitemech and I'm extremely satistied with look and machining.
Plates were cut, in a batch of five, at AnAng for around USD 110,00 shipped.
PCBs, again in a batch of five, cost around USD 45,00 plus shipping (and I'd recommend DHL for fast delively) plus the cost of the components which is roughly around USD 10,00.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Mattheuk9

I'm really interested in getting something like this. Think of running a GB?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Think of running a GB?
Not personally, but I'll ask a vendor soon.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
edit: use the cleaned up version in the 2nd post for half plate

More
ok so half-plate numbers. I included the LED cut outs. I think personally I won't be using LED cutouts. Sorry for the sloppy work, I'm really bad with numbers and this tool so I had to cut 4 separate rectangles haha. Numbers are very approximate and I eyeballed it. Here is a ghost image of the spacing:

Cut Rectangle
w
h
shape relative
rectangle center

[0,0]
[-x+143,-y+32.5]

[0,0]
[-x+143,-y+52.5]

[0,0]
[-x+138,-y+71.5]

[0,0]
[-x+138,-y+90.5]

if anyone can use this as a base and maybe do a more scientific/calculated version that'd be cool otherwise this would work fine for the purpose.

@talkingtree please let me know what you think and if it would work. hoping the bottom row isn't too thin?

« Last Edit: Fri, 01 June 2018, 08:22:14 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Re: [opensource] TOAD v2 | 70% keyboard | Now with Alps and aluminum case.
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 03:57:51 »
Update:

Added a universal KLE template to the second post for you to design your own plate.
Also added the cutout patterns for the half-plate. Please note that there are two versions of it: one for 1u backspace plates and another for a 2u ones.

Offline SJHL

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 09:39:20 »
Damn, this is very nice. Will be following.

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 19:07:57 »
used the swill tool cuz im a noob, anything im missing here? assuming measurements for the cut out area are correct... i actually just eyeballed it but pretty sure i gave myself enough space for switches. not sure about the LEDs but not sure if i'll use them either.

Show Image

Oh man, we have to see a half-plate build for this now. This is hot stuff.
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline aya3154

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 00:02:20 »
Everything here is beautiful  :eek:

Offline MajorclaM

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:48:31 »
I'm still quite new around here, as evidenced by my post count, but how much experience with CAD and the other design tools did you have prior to this build. Also what benefits does parametric design give? I've seen it mentioned a few times. Does it reduce repetition?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:35:51 »
how much experience with CAD and the other design tools did you have prior to this build.
None.

Also what benefits does parametric design give? I've seen it mentioned a few times. Does it reduce repetition?
More experienced users would give you more accurate answers. All I can say is that it allowed me to achieve this goal.

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 00:43:23 »
Please note the stabalizer orientation when building your plate file.

A few months ago when making the plates I realized that I had messed up when the plates were still with the factory so it was easy to fix the situation.

Here is the orientation for all the stabalizers:

When pasting the raw data from KLE into Swill's you'll need to add _rs:180 to the space bar and backspace keys to get the correct rotation.

What I did was to duplicate each key with a stab and for the first key add _rs:180 and for the second add x:-[width of key]

So that would mean for a 6.25 space bar the KLE would look like this: {w:6.25,_rs:180},"Space1",{w:6.25,x:-6.25},"Space2"

Cheers

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 03:20:54 »
Big thanks again to TalkingTree for making this open source and for help along the way  :thumb:

Built with vintage blues

Other images here: https://imgur.com/a/IYL0Obz

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 03:40:26 »
Still having fun with my TOAD!

Over the holiday season I assembled my first PCB created in KiCad and managed to get it working, it's a PCB that's compatible with the TOAD and uses QMK. It's far from perfect (as you can see some errors were made with routing!), but it works and I learned a ton from doing it.

I spent more time on the PCB in the past days and fixed all the problems that I could find from the one above to create a rev2 version that I will order soon. First I need to work on the plate files, I am thinking of trying a half-plate like Sifo was working on for the next round of building.

Greets for 2019! Thanks again for making this available to the community  :)

« Last Edit: Sun, 06 January 2019, 03:44:09 by RealLaugh »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 09:16:42 »
still gotta get mine done :( this year is the year!!!!!!
I love Elzy

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 09:29:14 »
Have you gotten your case made? If so, which manu are you planning on using? This is a dope project

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 09:44:59 »
Have you gotten your case made? If so, which manu are you planning on using? This is a dope project

i've had some recommendations on some chinese manufacturers. I want to modify the case talkingtree made a little bit to learn a little bit about 3d modeling and such but I haven't had the time or motivation
I love Elzy

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 14:29:38 »

I used http://ulitemech.com/en/ which is the one that TalkingTree linked in the OP. I can recommend them, they were very patient and helpful, shipping was fash (DHL) and everything was well packed and I was very happy with the quality. I had to rework the top plate STEP file in FreeCAD to replace the screw threads that are part of the 3D model with drill holes, since during the machining process the fab drills holes first before tapping the threads (and unfortunately downloading the 3D files you can't turn off the threads beforehand) so having threads in your model instead of drill holes isn't helpful for them to get the job done. For M3 it's 2.5mm dril holes and M2 is 1.6mm. I can share my top case file if you ever want to submit then you won't have to go through that.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 15:06:59 »

I used http://ulitemech.com/en/ which is the one that TalkingTree linked in the OP. I can recommend them, they were very patient and helpful, shipping was fash (DHL) and everything was well packed and I was very happy with the quality. I had to rework the top plate STEP file in FreeCAD to replace the screw threads that are part of the 3D model with drill holes, since during the machining process the fab drills holes first before tapping the threads (and unfortunately downloading the 3D files you can't turn off the threads beforehand) so having threads in your model instead of drill holes isn't helpful for them to get the job done. For M3 it's 2.5mm dril holes and M2 is 1.6mm. I can share my top case file if you ever want to submit then you won't have to go through that.

sure please share your case file!
I love Elzy

Offline majak

other layout
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 04:10:21 »
What about other layout for everything language.
https://klawiatura.wordpress.com/

Here exmple french

Very usefull 2 rotor potenciometer for volume, or manipulating 3d objects or for game (for example tempest iv for rotor not for mouse or keyboard)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Re: [opensource] TOAD v2.1 | 70% keyboard | Revision 4 - 2020
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 10:48:37 »
Revision 4 (2020)

I'm making a few changes to both the case and the PCB for I've finally found a suitable type-C connector to replace the mini-B with. The case opening in the rear is changed accordingly. I've also designed a dust cover with the logo that I'll be hopefully able to have produced somewhere in the world.
I've added a weight to the base of the case with the logo but unfortunately I had to change the letter O slightly, as a round circle wouldn't obviously work.
I'm also considering a RGB LED indicator on the PCB if I'm able to make it work in the firmware.
Furthermore, I'm splitting the spacebar and I'm considering a few options. At the moment it's either a 3-1-3 or 1.5-2-2-1.5, out of a 7u of course.
Finally, I've redesigned the case entirely in Fusion 360 with many less sketches and features which should make editing, computing and rendering much faster and less stressful, I'll post the source when I'm 100% satisfied with the design.

Changes from Rev. 3 short list.
  • Weight
  • Dust cover
  • Type-C connector
  • Split spacebar (in progress)
  • RGB LED indicator (testing)

A few pictures for you gentlemen. Click to enlarge.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 12:27:56 »
Revision 4 (2020)

I'm making a few changes to both the case and the PCB for I've finally found a suitable type-C connector to replace the mini-B with. The case opening in the rear is changed accordingly. I've also designed a dust cover with the logo that I'll be hopefully able to have produced somewhere in the world.
I've added a weight to the base of the case with the logo but unfortunately I had to change the letter O slightly, as a round circle wouldn't obviously work.
I'm also considering a RGB LED indicator on the PCB if I'm able to make it work in the firmware.
Furthermore, I'm splitting the spacebar and I'm considering a few options. At the moment it's either a 3-1-3 or 1.5-2-2-1.5, out of a 7u of course.
Finally, I've redesigned the case entirely in Fusion 360 with many less sketches and features which should make editing, computing and rendering much faster and less stressful, I'll post the source when I'm 100% satisfied with the design.

Changes from Rev. 3 short list.
  • Weight
  • Dust cover
  • Type-C connector
  • Split spacebar (in progress)
  • RGB LED indicator (testing)

A few pictures for you gentlemen. Click to enlarge.

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

this is exciting! I'm so sad I still haven't had a case produced for my toad pcb yet. I swear I'll do it this year zzz
I love Elzy

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 13:01:58 »
I still haven't had a case produced for my toad pcb yet.
I'm seriously considering a mini group buy this time. I'll finalize things and then move to that.

Offline auggie246

Looking good man, interested in the mini group buy
Will u still upload the case design as before?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Will u still upload the case design as before?
Yes, as soon as I'm happy with the design.

Offline jaymack

I am looking to make one of these myself but I ran into a bit of an issue with ordering the PCB. It looks like the Left Spacebar Stab holes go through a trace. I would just delete this since I have no use for this whole in my board but I can't save a version of this myself for some reason on EasyEDA. Is it possible to get those holes removed as well as having that switch mount removed since it also looks to cause an over lap of pins or can I at least get a version of the file I can save locally and edit myself to have them removed.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
I am looking to make one of these myself but I ran into a bit of an issue with ordering the PCB.

Offline jaymack

Looks like the document layer wasn't turned on when it loads in. Thanks, that makes sense now. Do you have Rev 3 or should I just wait for Rev 4 to be done?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Do you have Rev 3 or should I just wait for Rev 4 to be done?
You can surely have a rev. 3 produced by switching versions within EasyEDA but I'm nearly done with rev. 4. I just need to test the RGB LED indicator and have a PCB made for myself to assemble and test.

Offline jaymack

I have decided to make a rev 3 board but i cant figure out a way to switch to version 3 of the board in the link. I'm not too familiar with EasyEDA so maybe you can help me with that.

sorry for being bad with this. First time I have tried a custom PCB. Baby steps.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
i cant figure out a way to switch
243293-0

Offline jaymack

I can do that with my personal projects but since this is a shared one, i dont see an option for it. even when i export it out and reimport it to make it a personal project, i am missing the other versions.

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
I can do that with my personal projects but since this is a shared one, i dont see an option for it.
Go for rev. 4. I just wired everything. You just won't get RGB LEDs as I haven't had a chance to test them yet but everything else will be there.
I'll post the updated firmware later.

Offline jaymack

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 18:55:14 »
So I ordered the pcb of the REV 4 file and got them in but I am having issues with it going into bootloader mode or at least qmk toolbox recognizing the board. I have attempted shorting the reset pin to ground when plugging in and that hasn't worked. Am I missing something? this is my first raw pcb flash so I definitely could be.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 00:49:47 »
I am having issues with it going into bootloader mode or at least qmk toolbox recognizing the board.
If it's the first time you're running a 32u4 from the bootloader, you might need to install drivers for that. If you're on a windows machine, check the device manager for missing drivers.

Offline jaymack

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 09:11:58 »
It looks like my issue is that windows is not recognizing my board as being plugged in. There is voltage in the system when I plug it in so i know the connector is working. I tested the cable and port with another device and that works.

I dont see any changes in USB or in HID devices in device manager when I plug it in or hit the reset pin. I am pretty sure I have the drivers since I have flashed other prebuilt boards with 32u4.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 09:29:46 »
It should be working out of the box so to say. One only guess would be they soldered a 32u4rc which comes with no bootloader.

Offline jaymack

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 09:44:41 »
I checked and its a 32u4au which does come with the boot loader as far as i can see. at least, 32u3au is whats printed on the chip itself.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 10:25:32 »
I checked and its a 32u4au which does come with the boot loader as far as i can see. at least, 32u3au is whats printed on the chip itself.
Then it does have the bootloader, I doubt anyone wiped it off for whatever reason.
Can you run linux on a virtual machine or a Live CD?

Offline jaymack

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 11:08:21 »

I have a fresh copy of Ubuntu I installed in Oracle VM i never did anything with if that will work.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 11:09:37 »

I have a fresh copy of Ubuntu I installed in Oracle VM i never did anything with if that will work.
Just to see if Linux can detect the board or not.

Offline jaymack

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 11:58:22 »
Its not detecting it.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 10:18:27 »
Its not detecting it.
Out of ideas, sorry.

Offline jaymack

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 14:50:01 »
I ordered a set of Mini-B USB jacks to replace the USB-C jack and will test how that works. I will just tie into the pinouts just below the port with a ribbon cable. If it still fails, I am also lost. I will let you know once I get them in.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 15:31:59 »
I ordered a set of Mini-B USB jacks to replace the USB-C jack and will test how that works. I will just tie into the pinouts just below the port with a ribbon cable. If it still fails, I am also lost. I will let you know once I get them in.
You can use the USB breakout for that. Solder a cable directly to the pads.

Offline jaymack

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 15:57:57 »
IT WORKS!! Just quick soldered a 5 cable ribbon to a mini jack and it worked. It's the same board I was testing with the USB-C jack so i guess it was the data parts of the connector. I have usb mini cables and the case I made works with that so I will keep it like this and just epoxy it down to keep it secure.

The issue i am having now is that it is reading only S76 as space rather than S75 which is needed for the 7u space bar. Is this something i can quickly adjust in QMK hex file or is it more complicated than that?

I appreciate all of your help with this/

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 09:17:11 »
The issue i am having now is that it is reading only S76 as space rather than S75 which is needed for the 7u space bar. Is this something i can quickly adjust in QMK hex file or is it more complicated than that?
That's because you have a firmware from a previous revision which has less keys. I'll try and write to the code for the rev. 4 later this evening.

Offline borlopjim

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 04:20:41 »
Hi, I have been tryng to use the design of the TOAD V2 as a guide for creating a custom keyboard and i have noticed something referred to the USB connector.
I have noticed that the usb-C connector you have used on your design, seems that it does not support data transference. The pins connected to the signal D+ and D- are connected to the signals CC1 and CC2 as seen in the datasheet.
https://datasheet.lcsc.com/szlcsc/1811101526_Korean-Hroparts-Elec-TYPE-C-31-M-17_C283540.pdf
I would like to know if the data con be sent thorugh those pins.

Thanks in advice.