Author Topic: Hello! This is exciting!  (Read 1699 times)

Offline casualyeti

Hello! This is exciting!
« on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 15:08:17 »
Hello everyone. My name is Yvette. I’m really new to the mechanical keyboard hobby, but I’ve become instantly submersed in it. I specifically use full-size keyboards because my work requires it, so getting into this hobby has been a little difficult. Really interested in putting together my own full-size board. I have one right now with cherry silent red switches, which I like so far, but I also ordered a switch tester before I buy anything else. The board I have right now is not hot swappable, and I’m curious about that.
If anyone has suggestions how to find a DIY full-size keyboard I’d really appreciate it. I’m ready to absorb all the knowledge I can and listen to some sweet switches!

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
Re: Hello! This is exciting!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 18:38:41 »
Welcome :)

Full sized boards are hard to come by in the custom market.

Have you tried looking into the 1800 layout?
It's essentially a full sized keyboard but the keys are squished together and there are a few more kits around.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 19:08:28 »
Hello everyone. My name is Yvette. I’m really new to the mechanical keyboard hobby, but I’ve become instantly submersed in it. I specifically use full-size keyboards because my work requires it, so getting into this hobby has been a little difficult. Really interested in putting together my own full-size board. I have one right now with cherry silent red switches, which I like so far, but I also ordered a switch tester before I buy anything else. The board I have right now is not hot swappable, and I’m curious about that.
If anyone has suggestions how to find a DIY full-size keyboard I’d really appreciate it. I’m ready to absorb all the knowledge I can and listen to some sweet switches!

Full size ftw!!  Welcome Yvette!  ;D If you're looking for a full sized hot swap board, look at the GMMK. I am also a full size enthusiast. Full size kits are few and far between. What usually do is either buy excellent vintage boards such as AEK II or other alps boards or Model Ms or I buy good quality prefab boards like the iKBC MF108, or Ducky Shine 7 and desolder the board and resolder my own switches into it. I get great deals on old boards that have a solid case off eBay all the time.

Offline casualyeti

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 20:08:38 »
Welcome :)

Full sized boards are hard to come by in the custom market.

Have you tried looking into the 1800 layout?
It's essentially a full sized keyboard but the keys are squished together and there are a few more kits around.

Hi! :) Yes, I’ve looked at the 1800, although I think it would take a period of time for me to adjust to the small ‘0’ on the numpad. I use that zero key at least hundreds of times a day. That’s not an exaggeration. So, I feel like it would suit me best to keep using a regular full size board.

Offline casualyeti

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 20:14:23 »
Hi @ddrfraser1 and thank you! This is quite helpful. I’m definitely going to look into all these suggestions. I’ve never soldered anything at all, so for now I’m staying clear of that. Lol. It is something I’d like to attempt in the future, as soon as I know my preferred switch. Definitely a lot to explore with this hobby, but it’s so much fun and being that I use a keyboard all day every day, it’s really satisfying to hear the switches as I’m typing. Thank you for your suggestions and I will let you know what works out.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 August 2020, 20:18:50 by casualyeti »

Offline sam curren

• Fmwhatsapp
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 11:35:30 »
I felt the same way. And I got the solution here just like you. Thanks to the community.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 11:50:50 »
Welcome to geekhack :)

I’ve looked at the 1800, although I think it would take a period of time for me to adjust to the small ‘0’ on the numpad. I use that zero key at least hundreds of times a day. That’s not an exaggeration. So, I feel like it would suit me best to keep using a regular full size board.

How often do you use the arrows with your numbers?  I use an 1800 and if I'm doing a lot of numbers I switch to a layer where right arrow is an extra zero because you're right, even when you know where it is the little one is not really comfortable.  This layer also has Num Lock replaced by tab (you don't want to accidentally disable numbers if that's what you're doing...) which is great for cycling through cells in a spreadsheet or number fields in other programs.  The Print Screen above the numberpad also changes to a second Escape - no-one wants a screenshot of your numbers and Esc is again useful in spreadsheets.

That's the best thing about a programmable board - layers work better than a fixed layout, you just have to think outside the box.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod