Author Topic: How many of your friends/relatives bought mech. KBs after your recommendation?  (Read 2960 times)

Offline disco123

Well, for me, the most effective way is just buying one for them (already 4).
Geekhack, thank youuuuuuuuu!
Mech. KBs:
Filco 10Keyless Red, Brown;
Filco 10keymore Brown, Black, Blue;
Topre Realforce 86 U;
Cherry G80-3494 Red.
G80-1865 Red (in the mail),
KBtalKing Pure (60% KB, red SW; in the making)
Rubber dome
Dell SK-8115

Offline theferenc

Of the desktop users, about 2/3, but for laptop users, less than 1/4. They just don't want to carry a keyboard around with their laptop. Which I can totally respect.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
I have one that I might convince if I can find anything not too expensive for him. Going to see if I can spread the word to others as opportunities present themselves.

Offline Lpb45

When I tell them how much they cost they pretty much look at me like I have a clown costume on and just dismiss it altogethor
Topre - 86U   |   Filco - Tenkeyless Linear Red
Filco - Tenkeyless Blue       |   Filco - Fullsize Non NKRO Blue (Work)

Offline pitashen

Got a friend who tried my keyboard briefly aprox a year ago, made a decent impression but wasn't quite impressed (mainly coz the conventional looks of them). But just the past couple of months, I kept throwing at him all these mech keyboard info as i was looking into getting another one. He suddenly got all interested pulled the trigger and bought a Filco. He is in love with his new board and wishing that he could have gotten it earlier.

Got another friend in mainland interested but he is very tight on his budget. He is considering getting one from flee market though.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
My parents had this fugly Logitech board with a sticking Return, so at some point I decided to give them something decent from my collection. Since Win keys were necessary, choice was a bit of a problem. They weren't too fond of a G81 (understandably), nor did they appreciate the "clacking monster" AT102DW much (the computer being in an echo-y concrete cellar doesn't help); in the end they got the Tandberg TDV5020. My dad also has to enter some numbers on the notebook once in a while, so I gave him the G84-4700 numpad for that (it's a black one, so doesn't look out of place). Yep, both use MLs.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline rustybarnacle

for a lot of people, budget is a serious concern.  They've lived for so long with a cheap $5 piece of junk and, well, ignorance is bliss i suppose.  It is a rare few that buy a mechanical keyboard.  But I can say that of those that have done it, none have gone back.  That's also probably due in no small part to the fact that the average mechanical keyboard will outlive the average user.

Offline krazymunky

one of my friends got the RAZER starcraft 2 themed "Marauder" as a gift. he was so happy and i didnt want to tell him that his KB sucks and to get a mech keyboard.

yeah when i tell people how much a mech kb is..they go "WTF? why so much for a keyboard?"

Offline theferenc

Well, to be fair, a Unicomp Customizer is no more expensive than a Black Widow or Logitech G series. Even the MS Natural 4000 ergo board (whatever it's actually called) is usually about the same price as a Customizer.

And from there to a Leopold isn't much of a leap at all. Plus, you get the compact size, which appeals to a lot of people.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

Offline canon.tk

I got a friend to get a Filco with browns last year before I even bought mine.  I wasn't sure if blacks or browns would be best for me so I talked him into getting browns.  It came in on a Friday and he went out of town.  UPS left it on his porch so he had me pick it up and use it for the weekend.  I ordered my Filco will blacks shortly after that.

Then I got another friend to get a Filco with blacks.

Everyone at work likes my Blackwidow Ultimate but they don't want to spend the money on a keyboard.
Filco Majestouch 104 Cherry MX Black; Filco Majestouch 87 Ninja Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch Indigo Blue 104 Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch 2 104 Cherry MX Red; Leopold 87 Otaku Cherry MX Brown; Leopold 87 Cherry MX Brown; Razer Black Widow Ultimate

Offline clack

none. they usually ask me why i spent 150 importing a keyboard especially when it doesnt have any fancy screens or anything on it.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
My Mom has always been a fast typist dating back to the IBM Selectric days (seriously old school).

I had 2 NIB Dell AT101W's.   After typing on my Mom's computer once, and feeling my hands tighten up with every keystroke, I gave her one of the Dells.

I saw her a few weeks later and she said "This keyboard is fantastic!"

"Great Mom, if you ever wear that one out, I have a spare!"
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Quote from: theferenc;313276
Of the desktop users, about 2/3, but for laptop users, less than 1/4. They just don't want to carry a keyboard around with their laptop. Which I can totally respect.

I have a laptop and always carry a keyboard around.
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Quote from: noodles256;313443

I'm considering dragging one of my Filcos along with my laptop now; after a couple of hours with mechanical boards my laptop's scissor switches feel a lot mushier.

Offline theferenc

Quote from: noodles256;313443

So do I. But my friends don't like the idea, for the most part.

Offline BucklingSpring

Only few nostalgic old timers, mainly Unicomps.

Couple of others were gifts I gave to people I really like.

To the point made previously in this thread. Very few people I know would be welling to spend that much for a keyboard. They're just happy with 10$ rubber domes. When a key doesn't work anymore. They hit it until it works while spitting a curse or two, then they move on. No big deal, once in a while I'll eard a friend tellling the story of how he showed his keyboard how to fly. They actually do it pretty well. The landing is another story. Time to spend another 10$.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Having a cheap expendable keyboard isn't all bad, knowing that it doesn't matter what you do to it is somewhat comforting. Then again, having a proper keyboard is still better. Having something in-between.. Is just awkward?

Offline False_Dmitry_II

You mean like the logitech that has a tiny monitor for some reason? I have a friend who has one and he was super excited about the fact that he was going to get it. He was all "This thing costs $200, it's the best keyboard in the world. This is gonna be so awesome!"

I tried to point out that it would still have rubber domes, but he didn't care.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline What is X?

Quote from: theferenc;313342
Well, to be fair, a Unicomp Customizer is no more expensive than a Black Widow or Logitech G series. Even the MS Natural 4000 ergo board (whatever it's actually called) is usually about the same price as a Customizer.

And from there to a Leopold isn't much of a leap at all. Plus, you get the compact size, which appeals to a lot of people.

You realise the blackwidow has MX Blues

Offline lootbag

Almost converted 1 friend to a Ducky but then she got cold feet and jumped ship.

Successfully converted 1 friend from a Logitech Illuminated to a Ducky 9008; he loves it.

Mechanical keyboards just aren't for everyone because it is expensive and everyone has the same damn reaction... "It's just a keyboard".

Offline theferenc

Quote from: What is X?;313814
You realise the blackwidow has MX Blues

Sorry, I often confuse "Black Widow" with "Razer". I meant the other Razer keyboards.

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

My family doesn't buy them. They CONFISCATE them! I've lost an ABS M1 and a Filco Tactile Touch to them already.

Friends, I've gotten a few to purchase Filcos. Some find older boards (such as an AEK) and use that as well.

Many of my friends just say "Oh, you spend a lot of time on the computer right? That's probably a good purchase for you, but I don't think I'd benefit from it.". I can respect that.