Author Topic: Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless Otakus?  (Read 2237 times)

Offline winterbear

Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless Otakus?
« on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 02:26:33 »
Hey Everyone,

So I really should be working on my essay, but apparently I'm now addicted to randomly surf this forum. (dangit!)

I remember when I was a kid I used to love typing on this one keyboard (by "typing" I mean aaosdiv;awejg;aijv awio...when the computer was off. Seriously.) ... I have no idea what it was, but I've been haunted by it for a LONG time-- kept on trying to find a "clicky" keyboard and all my friends though I was strange. So imagine my surprise and joy stumbling across this.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. I was wondering whether I could get any help to buying a Cherry MX Blue Tenkleyless Otaku? Something like the Filco one would have been perfect for me, but unfortunately I found EliteKeyboard too late, apparently. I know right now I can order (pre-order? It seems like they have been delaying-- but I think they are REALLY going to ship by the end of this month, right?) Brown, Blue or Otaku Brown.

But I've been surfing youtube videos and I really think I am still more partial to the blues. (But of course, it's not like the browns don't click. Personally right now I'm using MBP scissors, so...maybe I'll just bottom out allll the time)...And while I'm sure I want a clicky keyboard, I am not sure whether I really NEED an otaku board...I suppose... I mean I didn't even know about it a week ago.

But for some reason now I can't get rid of the image of a small, clicky keyboard without any letters and a red esc key. I WANTZ IT!

...Anyone know what I should do? (I live in Canada btw, in case anyone got anymore retail ideas... and a univ student, so I'm not really willing to spend over $150 after shipping and EVERYTHING)

Thanks in advance :)
Current:
Realforce 87U, Niz Plum Atom 68 (35g), CM Storm QF Blue

Previously Owned:
Leopold Tenkeyless Brown, Leopold Tenkeyless Blue, HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, Charcoal), Poker X Red

Offline n12

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 04:59:38 »
You could buy a Leopold from EliteKeyboards and a set of blanks from the group buy. Or just go with a Filco Tenkeyless with blues and buy a blank set, but it would cost you slightly more than $150 (I believe that Filco Blue Tenkeyless' are around $120 before shipping on Taobao atm).
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 March 2011, 05:06:19 by n12 »

Offline Armando Penblade

• http://thegeekery.org
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 08:18:55 »
The closest that I know of that should be readily available in Canada is a Das Keyboard Ultimate S. It's not tenkeyless and is very glossy, but it'll have blues and blank keycaps, and NCIX has a distribution deal in Canada.
Filco Majestouch 104-US, Metallic Blue, with Chery MX Blues  //  Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000, 104-US + Media Keys & Browser Controls  //  iRocks RF-6570 Cordless 104-US, 2.4GHz Wireless, White  //  SteelSeries 6Gv2 104-US, Black, with Cherry MX Blacks

Offline javifast

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 09:53:57 »
Put a WTB on classifieds section on this forum. I was thinking selling my otaku filco blue. But I live in Europe. But perhaps somedody else sell that keyboard.
Too many keyboards....

Offline rustybarnacle

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 11:16:36 »
It'd cost a bit o' cash, but buy an otaku board and a leopold blue, swap the key caps, and sell the superfluous board.

Offline winterbear

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 14:38:54 »
Quote from: javifast;314338
Put a WTB on classifieds section on this forum. I was thinking selling my otaku filco blue. But I live in Europe. But perhaps somedody else sell that keyboard.

I will definitely do this later... I think I'll need paypal, right? I just don't have a paypal account, but I'm guessing it'll be relatively easy to set up?

Quote from: n12;314276
You could buy a Leopold from EliteKeyboards and a set of blanks from the group buy. Or just go with a Filco Tenkeyless with blues and buy a blank set, but it would cost you slightly more than $150 (I believe that Filco Blue Tenkeyless' are around $120 before shipping on Taobao atm).

Quote from: rustybarnacle;314367
It'd cost a bit o' cash, but buy an otaku board and a leopold blue, swap the key caps, and sell the superfluous board.

Thanks for pointing out the group buy section! Took a quick look at it, and I will look at it more seriously afterwards to search for an FAQ or something on how to order. :D But this is awesome, I can add different colours to the board!..Ehehe..

Quote from: Armando Penblade;314312
The closest that I know of that should be readily available in Canada is a Das Keyboard Ultimate S. It's not tenkeyless and is very glossy, but it'll have blues and blank keycaps, and NCIX has a distribution deal in Canada.

Thanks. If buying online ends up not working out, I may just do that. I have an NCIX store front near my hometown, so it will actually be pretty easy, I think?

-Thanks for all the replies!
Current:
Realforce 87U, Niz Plum Atom 68 (35g), CM Storm QF Blue

Previously Owned:
Leopold Tenkeyless Brown, Leopold Tenkeyless Blue, HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, Charcoal), Poker X Red

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 15:11:26 »
I guess shipping would be a lot to canada but this would be an obvious solution living in europe I guess.

http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=651
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=639

Offline bakageta

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 06:20:42 »
Das has a student discount in the US, I'd check and see if they have a similar deal in Canada. If so, that'll definitely be one of the cheapest options for a keyboard with blues and blank keys. Another option would be to import one from China, the PLU ML-87 can be picked up with blue switches and blank keys, in both white and black, for a pretty affordable amount.