Author Topic: Bonjour from Montreal, Canada!  (Read 1718 times)

Offline NCC 1701

• There are four lights!
Bonjour from Montreal, Canada!
« on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 20:35:56 »
Hey guys!

I have been reading threads on this site for a couple of months as I have been wanting to buy a mechanical keyboard for quite some time and this website had very good information while I was researching.

I finally decided to purchase a mechanical keyboard and researched for a very long time and tonight I finally ordered my first one : the Topre Realforce 87U white/gray. I bought it from NCIX.ca (http://products.ncix.com/detail/topre-se07t0-realforce-capacitive-switches-55-86198-1693.htm) and the price was pretty high for my first mechanical keyboard (especially since I still don't know which switch type I will like the most), but by price matching with http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=35890ID2287&vpn=SE07T0&manufacture=Topre, I was able to snag it for only 175$, which seems like a very good price based on my research (especially since it didn't also require 20+$ of international shipping). I think NCIX ships outside of Canada as well so for Canadians and possibly others, I would recommend doing this  while you still can if you want a Realforce.

I was really torn between the Filco MJ2, Leopold FCC660m/c, Ducky Shine 3 and of course the Realforce because I was looking for a keyboard with top-notch build quality, professional styling and preferably PBT keycaps (wouldn't have bought a PBT keycap set until later for those with ABS). I would probably have considered other keyboards like the HHKB but the price is extremely high and the layout scares me and the others are just incredibly hard to find for a decent price and shippable to Canada. I eventually went for the Realforce because I like the white/gray styling, PBT keycaps, the value, it's said to be one of if not the highest quality keyboard around, I was intrigued by the Topre switch and because it was only 20$ more than the Filco with the pricematch.

I'll talk about more once it finally arrives and maybe give a small review (although it will be hard since I have only crappy dome keyboards to compare it to).

For now, I hope I will have a welcome stay on the website and I'm happy to join your ranks!

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
Re: Bonjour from Montreal, Canada!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 20:38:49 »
Hello and congratulations with a great, great keyboard! Straight to the top, I like it. ;)
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 20:49:59 »
Yes, bienvenue a GH. 

RealForce 87U is a great way to start.  Actually, you don't really need any more keyboards after that one.  But it's still fun to collect more.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 20:53:34 »
Welcome to GH! Glad to see someone else from the region!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 21:15:06 »
Nice to see another Montrealer on here.  :)

Welcome...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 21:15:22 »
Yooooo, hands down best user name on Geekhack. Welcome!

Offline NCC 1701

• There are four lights!
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 21:35:11 »
Thanks for the replies, fellows!

Yooooo, hands down best user name on Geekhack. Welcome!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 21:36:56 »
I have bought a couple keyboards from NCIX.  They have pretty good prices, especially because they are always running sales of $40-50 off something.  Wait for a sale on the board you want and you can't beat the prices there...

I LOVE the layout of my FC660C.  Probably my favorite layout so far. 

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 21:41:49 »
Salut bonjour :)

And yeah, j'aime beaucoup NCIX, toujours c'est difficile d'acheter des produits quand on est canadien mais c'est jamais difficile avec eux.
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline NCC 1701

• There are four lights!
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 21:45:26 »
I was considering the FC660C/M because I didn't want a full 104 keyboard and the layout was actually quite appealing since the arrow keys and delete were physically there, many other keyboards of its size have them as functions, which I don't think I'd enjoy. NCIX is a really good distributor in  my experience and they have great deals all the time.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 March 2014, 21:47:43 by NCC 1701 »