Author Topic: Not sickly (well, I have a cold right now). Am a boy though. Hey.  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Sicklyboy

• Sicklyboy, the original.
I've heard that geekhack is a good place to talk mechanical keyboards and accessories for them, and after looking around for a few days I've decided to join!  Maybe get in on a group buy or two at some point.  Waiting on a KBC Poker 2 with blues, TEX o-rings, and Vortex double shot translucent PBT keycaps all coming from Massdrop, with a few more novelty caps coming from various sources.  This'll be my first mech board, I've got a Cyborg V.7 "gaming keyboard" right now and kind of hate it.  I've only used the "gaming mode" on it two or three times, said mode consisting of some macro keys and the ability to disable the Windows key.  I'm going to miss having the numpad a little bit but I'll adjust!  I've used my friend's Poker 2 on a few occasions and love it and decided I was done with rubber dome keyboards.  Can't wait to ditch this thing once and for all.

Thanks for having me and I'm sure I'll see you guys around!

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Not sickly (well, I have a cold right now). Am a boy though. Hey.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 15:26:07 »
Welcome to GeekHack! You can always buy a numpad to accompany your new poker :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 04:18:23 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

When you get a smaller keyboard, you will probably be surprised how much desk space that frees up!  It's also a big more ergonomic as you can have the mouse closer to the keyboard, so that your arm doesn't have to stick out at an angle to use it.  All good.

Then you'll go and buy a Model M or something, and switch back to that like I just did, and there goes all that nice empty desk space :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sicklyboy

• Sicklyboy, the original.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 07:30:07 »
Funny, I actually built a very large corner desk for my bedroom (about 4' wide at its widest outward face) that I use for everything (and make a giant mess out of).  I ended up buying a Tekmat gun cleaning mat as a desk surface, it's made out of mouse pad material and it's more than wide enough to hold the keyboard and mouse.  Unfortunately I have so much crap on here from projects I'm working on that I end up keeping the mouse in front of the keyboard lol.  Having a 60% is going to be a nice change I think.  I'll get over not having the numpad.

Uuuugh I'm becoming more and more aware of the resistance in pressing these keys down on this keyboard.  Massdrop, hurry up!

Speak of the devil, it's out for delivery today.  They never even emailed me that it was shipped afaik.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 October 2014, 07:34:08 by Sicklyboy »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 00:58:44 »
I went the other way - I had a fairly large (not as large as yours) desk that was always filling up with crap.

So I downsized to a smaller desk, thinking that I would keep a smaller desk tidy.

Nope.

Eventually I switched back to the bigger desk.I can fit a Model M next to a TKL board, and still have just about enough room for the two mouses (yes, two computers).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 03:39:48 »
welcome
eh o well