Author Topic: Magnetic Switches  (Read 2077 times)

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Magnetic Switches
« on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 00:28:13 »
Anyone see this guy's post over at /r/mk? https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2keuyy/modification_cherry_mmx_swap_your_springs_for/

Looks pretty interesting to me! He says they are softer than reds, but extremely hard to bottom out, which makes sense!  :p

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Magnetic Switches
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 00:40:27 »
I saw them, but felt dirty linking there.  Definitely an interesting concept.  I'd imagine the "bottoming out" wouldn't feel that great. It may be something I give a try in the future.

Now what would be really interesting (and probably totally not feasible) would be making a switch with an electromagnet in it so that you could adjust the weight of the switch to your own personal taste.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 00:42:17 »
Yeah, I was going to just link to the imgur album, but thought people might want to see the whole thread.

It is definitely a cool idea, should be cool to see where this goes, that would be cool if you could adjust the weight easily!

Offline Ripudio

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 01:13:36 »
I am definitely going to try this with any left over switches I have, awesome idea!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 10:11:09 »
I'm really not sure about the exponential force curve but it's really interesting!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 18:03:01 »
It’s possible the force curve could be adjusted using a printed magnet:
http://www.correlatedmagnetics.com/video-gallery/

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 19:34:03 »
Great idea, but would all those little magnetic forces be completely harmless to all the electronics in the vicinity, long-term?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 19:55:27 »
The magnetic flux field doesn't extend that far, so given the small magnets involved, they would be sufficiently insulated from the electronics.

I would love to get a few and try, if the guy was to produce them in large quantities - but seems like he hand makes them so that'd be unlikely.
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 20:58:53 »
seems like he hand makes them so that'd be unlikely.

Whoa! So what do you do, make a tube and cut it into tiny slices?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline epicepee

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 15:55:37 »
I think they meant he hand-modifies the switches.  The magnets are standard and can be bought online.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:14:07 »
seems like he hand makes them so that'd be unlikely.

Whoa! So what do you do, make a tube and cut it into tiny slices?

he drilled out the post that holds the stem in place and put one magnet there. The other has to be glued to the stem. They are probably a little more wobbly afterwards but (hopefully) not much.