Author Topic: I guess I should introduce myself  (Read 2641 times)

Offline greath

• A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.
I guess I should introduce myself
« on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 11:51:30 »
Hi,

I figured I should make one of the introduction threads (even though they always make me feel like I'm in an AA meeting or something).

I'm greath. Used to be super into PC gaming, still play a decent amount but real life seems to get in the way of fun too often these days :P

Got my first Filco (MJ with browns) probably 3 years ago or so. Gave it away to a friend to indoctrinate him into mech keyboards. Had a Max... something (nighthawk or some sort) which I sold off later. Currently have a stock Poker 2 with browns, a stock Race with clicky greys (not sure if they make linear greys or not), and my main user: a MJ2 with reds, vortex thick doubleshot PBT (god the font is horrendous but they feel nice), and 1/16" 70A o-rings (love the shorter travel distance but still a solid bottoming out feeling when I press hard).

I'm currently in the boat of "I can't find the keycaps I want" but have a blue PBT hangul set on order from imsto. If anyone has a lead on the white with red hangul lettering set imsto sold some years ago it would be GREATLY appreciated.

I am a redditor (same username) but I hope that doesn't get held against me. Seems like you guys have a good community over here and I look forward to *trying* to contribute to the community someday. Speaking of which: if any of you need a reddit crash course, I know the interface is a lot different and I'd be more than glad to help and show you a couple of tricks and communities I think are pretty neat.

Currently/future projects:
Looking for gateron clears and freshen up on my soldering
Considering trying my hand at artisan keycaps (wanna get a pressure pot and vacuum chamber first)
Considering joining the Leeku group buy (probably would go for the 3000 PCB though)

That's about it. I live on the Maryland side the DC metro area so if any of you are in the area or there are any meetups around I wouldn't mind a clicky weekend or having a modification/keycap making partner in crime someday.

Nice to "meet" you all  :cool:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: I guess I should introduce myself
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 11:56:20 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Sounds like you have a good handle on what you like. Just remember, PBT is not always better than ABS. Some ABS is great!

Also, I couldn't imagine using those Gateron clears. I love linear switches, but I think 35g actuation would just be too light for me.

I lived in Columbia, MD for a year, but now I'm back in Texas. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:03:43 »
Welcome to Geekhack! Sounds like with the boards you've been through and your wish to learn how to mod, you'll fit right in :). Hope you enjoy your time here!

Offline greath

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:08:44 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Sounds like you have a good handle on what you like. Just remember, PBT is not always better than ABS. Some ABS is great!

Also, I couldn't imagine using those Gateron clears. I love linear switches, but I think 35g actuation would just be too light for me.

I lived in Columbia, MD for a year, but now I'm back in Texas. :)

Thanks!

Do you know of any quality ABS for sale for under $150? =/ The GMK sets seem nice but I'm worried about shine. My old Filco had some pretty bad shine not too long into its life and I'm scared to risk that on a set of nearly $200 GMK caps (zealpc.net is the only in-stock supplier I've seen). Besides typical rubber domes (*maybe* they have ABS?) the filcos are my only delve into ABS and the longevity of the PBT really appeals to me when I'm dropping over $75 on a set of keycaps.

Yeah, I plan on probably using ~60g aftermarket springs on the gaterons, but I think I might be ok with a spring even lighter than my reds in everything but the space bar. Gotta try and see.

Which brings up another point. If anyone knows where I can get a TKL plate that allows for switch top removal for under $100 it would also be greatly appreciated  ;D

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:11:15 »
always nice to see someone knowing what they want out of the hobby! i was absolutely clueless when i joined, only slightly less so now but that's on me and not the site :)) i see you already fell victim to the Gateron hype, now you just need to develop an insatiable hunger for GMK caps and you'll complete your transformation into what they call a 'geekhacker'

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:13:13 »
You'll have to either cut the plate yourself or get lucky in the classifieds. AFAIK right now, there still isn't any easily available custom TKL plates.

And I've picked up Cherry G81-XXXX boards new in package for around $30-40 on eBay. Then harvest the caps. This guide should help you with your hunt if you want Cherry caps/boards. If you've got normal hands (aka not mine), you probably won't shine them too bad. Or you could pickup a set of TaiHao caps from NewEgg or MechanicalKeyboards.com for relatively cheap. They're pretty good quality doubleshot ABS and for less than $20, you can see how ABS works for you over time.

My personal preference is I like GMK/Cherry and I don't mind the shine...I'd prefer it that *I am* the one that makes the caps shiny but I don't really mind either way after a good cleaning.

Offline greath

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:41:04 »
You'll have to either cut the plate yourself or get lucky in the classifieds. AFAIK right now, there still isn't any easily available custom TKL plates.

And I've picked up Cherry G81-XXXX boards new in package for around $30-40 on eBay. Then harvest the caps. This guide should help you with your hunt if you want Cherry caps/boards. If you've got normal hands (aka not mine), you probably won't shine them too bad. Or you could pickup a set of TaiHao caps from NewEgg or MechanicalKeyboards.com for relatively cheap. They're pretty good quality doubleshot ABS and for less than $20, you can see how ABS works for you over time.

My personal preference is I like GMK/Cherry and I don't mind the shine...I'd prefer it that *I am* the one that makes the caps shiny but I don't really mind either way after a good cleaning.

Well I found a TKL plate on  geekhackers.org (not 100% sure it's affiliated with this site), but it's sadly a bit more than I want to spend ($175).

I've been looking at g81 boards some but I thought I read the newer boards ABS were kinda crappy no? And moogle kits with cherry profile seem nearly like finding a unicorn (let alone in a matching color scheme :P). I'll check out the info in the link when I get time this afternoon. My apologizes if this is answered in there. I like the Tai Hao granite look but heard their caps were pretty damn thin.

Maybe I'll just try to grab a couple extra sets of WASD keys if I can find them. I have this embarrassing-to-describe-but-not-that-weird-looking-problem where my nail-base is about 1mm from the tip of my fingertip so my "D" key when I'm gaming on WASD gets literally scratched off by my nail over time.

I know GMK owns Cherry's old equipment. Have they talked about ever making PBT caps like some of the old cherry boards used? 

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:47:03 »
Geekhackers is indeed run by a community member. It's expensive because it's made from Titanium.

G81 boards should have the old Cherry caps which are fine. Dunno what you're referring to. I've bought three G81 boards and they've all had white on black doubleshot ABS.

You can most of the matching keys in a Moogle at elitekeyboards.com. I don't think they have a windows or menu key though.

You were worried about shine which is why I suggested the Tai Hao caps.

BSP owns the Cherry PBT molds and it's been hard to do business with them. Think they have a very high MOQ. IIRC, the PBT caps were always made by them but I don't remember 100%.

Offline greath

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:51:17 »
Cool, thanks for the concise info Cpt :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 13:28:22 »
greath, is your current Filco a TKL or full size?

There should be some plates available in the near future, if I am correct.

Also, for thick ABS keycaps, you could look at joining one of the GMK group buys, although it would take a little while to get the caps, as all group buys take time.

There is also SA profile from Signature Plastics. They are tall, spherical top (as opposed to cylidrical), very thick ABS. Some people (me) like them almost as much as Cherry/GMK.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline greath

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 14:18:53 »

Also, for thick ABS keycaps, you could look at joining one of the GMK group buys, although it would take a little while to get the caps, as all group buys take time.

There is also SA profile from Signature Plastics. They are tall, spherical top (as opposed to cylidrical), very thick ABS. Some people (me) like them almost as much as Cherry/GMK.

TKL. Is there an IC on a TKL plate or something?  :D

Yeah, I've been considering a GMK group buy, I'm just waiting for the right one. I've been watching to see where Triumph Adler IC goes.

It would be nice to try SA profile but my wallet is already in pain so I'm worried about taking on too many things at once right now, but I'll def keep my eyes peeled for a bargain. Thanks for the tip :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 15:20:13 »

TKL. Is there an IC on a TKL plate or something?  :D

Yeah, I've been considering a GMK group buy, I'm just waiting for the right one. I've been watching to see where Triumph Adler IC goes.

It would be nice to try SA profile but my wallet is already in pain so I'm worried about taking on too many things at once right now, but I'll def keep my eyes peeled for a bargain. Thanks for the tip :)

The Wallethack is real.

I have a feeling there will soon be a group buy or sale on some "Universal" plates, whether that's TKL or full size with the option to be cut to TKL, I'm not sure. They are called "Universal" because they support most common modern keyboards from Filco, CM Storm, Ducky, etc. And they have the cutouts for easy switch opening. And they are for 87-key or 108/104-key layouts only.

in memoriam

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 15:53:05 »
Ha. It's never too late to try SA.
There is always a group buy for an SA set going on at any given time, so you can choose to get it whenever you want.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 15:55:02 »
Ha. It's never too late to try SA.
There is always a group buy for an SA set going on at any given time, so you can choose to get it whenever you want.

NO!

YOU HAVE TO GET IT NOW, BEFORE IT IS GONE!!

https://ctrlalt.io/buys/hack-d-by-geeks

:))

(But seriously, that colorway probably won't ever be made again)

in memoriam

Offline greath

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 17:02:16 »
Man I really do hope ANY play I can use for my TKL comes soon! As well as my imsto set.

The vortex doubleshot PBT feel great but I can't stand how it looks: 

I might have to try and get an SA set too just in case it gets here sooner :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 02:35:12 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I seem to be a little late to this party :))

The amount of technical information in this new members post is probably the most I have seen in this area for a long time!

You must have asked the question well :)

Yes, the legends on the early Vortex PBT sets were horrendously inconsistent.  Fortunately they became more consistent over time, and they are up to the 4th or 5th iteration now, which are quite nice.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline greath

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 18:26:38 »
Well the vortex will be replaced soon thankfully. Just ordered these while I wait for my imstro. Thanks to advice from Cpt and jdcarpe, I want to try out some cherry profile ABS to gauge how the GMK group buys will be  :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 04:11:40 »
Well the vortex will be replaced soon thankfully. Just ordered these while I wait for my imstro. Thanks to advice from Cpt and jdcarpe, I want to try out some cherry profile ABS to gauge how the GMK group buys will be  :)

They're not just Cherry profile - they are Cherry keycaps! :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ