Author Topic: Longtime keyboard enthusiast, complete newbie to MK community  (Read 2336 times)

Offline DeviAchariya

Longtime keyboard enthusiast, complete newbie to MK community
« on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:30:48 »
Hello everyone! I've been lurking this message board for a while while researching what would be my best purchase for my first mechanical keyboard.

I grew up with computers in the early 90s, but I am by no means a h4x0rz. I had some pretty cool teachers who taught me how to create games, type properly, and even format stuff in Word (I suck with office softwares). I've been working as a web + print designer for 10 years now and only recently got myself a nice keyboard to make my work even more enjoyable.

A couple of years ago, I remember expressing my excitement over finding an old keyboard that made clickity noises at the thrift store, none of my friends understood my joy and neither did I, honestly. Thanks to the age of the internet, I now know what ASMR is and why these keyboards are such a pleasure to type on and listen to. I never thought there was a whole community for mechanical keyboard enthusiasts!

I'm very excited to be here!
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:32:41 by DeviAchariya »
Ducky Shine Mini
    [my first!]

Offline dante

Re: Longtime keyboard enthusiast, complete newbie to MK community
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:33:58 »
RUN!

Offline DeviAchariya

Ducky Shine Mini
    [my first!]

Offline mattycee

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:44:10 »
RUN!

Why?? :(

it going to cost you an arm and a leg. Maybe some livers and stuff  :eek:
Current: Das 4 MX Blues,  Poker II MX Clears

Offline DeviAchariya

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:50:53 »
RUN!

Why?? :(

it going to cost you an arm and a leg. Maybe some livers and stuff  :eek:

I've already accepted my new fate.

:waits patiently for new orders to come in:
Ducky Shine Mini
    [my first!]

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:53:32 »
It sounds to me like you discovered the IBM model M keyboard.  You just might get hooked on them.  Just don't get more than you need!  Geekhack has a way of making you think like this: "just one more and I am done..."

Riiiiight.

Offline DeviAchariya

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 15:03:34 »
Probably a month in, I committed to buying a V60 on Massdrop but quickly canceled bc it wasn't financially responsible for the moment being. Besides, I already have a good board with different keycap sets coming in!

Yep, I've already gotten sucked in.
Ducky Shine Mini
    [my first!]

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 17:52:52 »
So... when you were at the thrift store, did you buy that keyboard?

Welcome.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline billputer

• hi
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 19:38:49 »

And if so, are you selling it? vultures circle

^-^
CM Storm QFR-i | Matias Ergo Pro (pre-ordered) | M$FT Natural Ergonomic 4000

Offline DeviAchariya

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 20:50:46 »

Welcome.

I did! But it's somewhere buried underneath a ton of junk when I found out it didn't work. I should find it again... Not even sure what keyboard it is.

And if so, are you selling it? vultures circle

^-^

We shall see once I dig it up again :P

Ducky Shine Mini
    [my first!]

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 04:44:13 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There's a thread for nearly everything around here, including thrift store finds.  If you do go back to get that keyboard, please post it here :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline DeviAchariya

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 10:53:10 »
Thank you for the welcome! I am so friggin' addicted and have been going to thrift stores in hopes of finding some good gems. And yes, I will post any good finds :)
Ducky Shine Mini
    [my first!]

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 01:36:19 »
Thank you for the welcome! I am so friggin' addicted and have been going to thrift stores in hopes of finding some good gems. And yes, I will post any good finds :)

Excellent!

And if you find a few extras, don't be shy about buying them and (once you meet the forum requirements) offering them for sale in Classifieds :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline DeviAchariya

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 14:32:16 »
Thanks! I am going to a big flea market next week and will be on the lookout for old mechanical keyboards. Hopefully I'll be allowed to post by then.
Ducky Shine Mini
    [my first!]

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 04:29:46 »
Thanks! I am going to a big flea market next week and will be on the lookout for old mechanical keyboards. Hopefully I'll be allowed to post by then.

You'll need to have been a member for 2 months and have at least 25 posts.