Author Topic: Another hello from the UK  (Read 1748 times)

Offline petersboulton

• Software Update Wizard - add Auto-Updates with a single line of code
Another hello from the UK
« on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 13:24:42 »
Hi all,

I'm hoping to not get smitten with the keyboard bug but it may be too late!  I've been using a Unicomp for the last 5 years because I'm old enough to remember the IBM Model M's.  Indeed I do have a Model M from a PS/2, UK model, but I don't use it any more because the footprint is too big relative to where I need a mouse to be, it doesn't have a Windows key (duh!) and it's not USB.

I also have the Unicomp's predecessor, a Saitek Eclipse II, which is quite nice for a rubber dome jobby.

I've occasionally swapped back to the Saitek just to get that fresh 'just new' feeling from the Unicomp.  But it got me thinking about how the contrast is nice between the clickety-clack of the Unicomp and the (relatively) smooth and soft feeling of the Saitek.

So... after much research, mainly here, I decided to get a Topre Realforce with uniform 45gm keys, which is now 2 days old.  Yes, I think I'm loving it, even if one can argue over whether it's mechanical or not.  I plan to swap from Topre to Unicomp to Topre on a monthly cycle and therefore relive the pleasure of new keyboard feel regularly.

Oh, let me own up that I can't touch type.  I'm a software developer / documenter etc. so I type a lot and can just about manage to type, reasonably quickly, without looking at the keyboard all the time!

That's it!  I hope to review the Topre some way down the line.  It's a shame that most people can't try before they buy on mechanical keyboards so hopefully the more material and differing opinions there is here the more helpful future enthusiasts will find it!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Another hello from the UK
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 04:58:15 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

That's quite a difference, swapping between buckling spring and 45g Topre!  I know - I've been using an SSK all day at work and now using HHKB :p

There is a solution to your Model M dilemma - an SSK!  TKL buckling spring goodness!  Plus they have an SDL port and work very well with one of orihalcon's SDL to USB cables.  The only thing missing is the Windows key.  I have been able to work around that!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline petersboulton

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 07:45:21 »
Hi Rowdy,

Thanks for your message!

I don't think I can do without the numeric keyboard so I don't think SSK is an option, but thanks for the suggestion!  Besides, Unicomp is nearly as good as original model M, has a Windows key and is sufficiently 'un-wide' to allow the mouse to be in a comfortable position.

Switching from Unicomp to Topre (for the time being - I will be swapping every month or so) is a learning experience - as in learning not to hit the keys so hard!  :D

I'm liking the lightness and smoothness of the Topre at the moment.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 04:52:08 »
Same here - after a say hitting my SSK the Topre feels smooth and silent.  Of course I'm still looking forward to getting back on to my SSK :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline petersboulton

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 07:40:45 »
Agreed.  If one has to spend large chunks of the day chained to a computer you might as well optimise the experience!

I'm enjoying the early days of Topre experience and am learning to hit the keys more gently.  Equally, I'm sure I'll re-enjoy the Unicomp when I decide to swap them over again.

I'm in awe of your list of keyboards.  I'm hoping I don't get smitten by the bug and start daydreaming of Cherry Blues...

All the best,

Pete

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 04:50:44 »
Agreed.  If one has to spend large chunks of the day chained to a computer you might as well optimise the experience!

I'm enjoying the early days of Topre experience and am learning to hit the keys more gently.  Equally, I'm sure I'll re-enjoy the Unicomp when I decide to swap them over again.

I'm in awe of your list of keyboards.  I'm hoping I don't get smitten by the bug and start daydreaming of Cherry Blues...

All the best,

Pete

Sometimes I forget how many I have!

And I have another SSK on the way :rolleyes:

At least it is a bit of variety - I can swap around keyboards for a fresh typing feeling, although I do have the favourites :)

Offline petersboulton

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 05:18:28 »
Would you be prepared to name them (your favourites)?  Or are keyboards so personal one person's  top 10 is heavy rock to another person's soul?

At the moment I only have 2 (or 3 if you count the IBM Model M which I don't use and will be Ebaying) and I can't say which I prefer (yet).  If forced, I probably prefer the tactile feel of the Unicomp, though I suspect I am already typing faster on the Topre.  It's probably sacrilege to say this but to me the Topre feels like a really, really, really high quality conventional keyboard (rubber dome) whereas the Unicomp, due to the buckling springs, feels more 'different' and tactile.

All the best,

Pete

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 12:39:22 »
There are some pleasant suprises coming up in the Model M world.  New cables, controllers, etc.  For a keyboard that has been around for about 30 years, it's still going strong!  There must be a reason....
Just remember this post 15 years from now when you are back to using that Model M.
*smile*

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 05:03:50 »
Would you be prepared to name them (your favourites)?  Or are keyboards so personal one person's  top 10 is heavy rock to another person's soul?

At the moment I only have 2 (or 3 if you count the IBM Model M which I don't use and will be Ebaying) and I can't say which I prefer (yet).  If forced, I probably prefer the tactile feel of the Unicomp, though I suspect I am already typing faster on the Topre.  It's probably sacrilege to say this but to me the Topre feels like a really, really, really high quality conventional keyboard (rubber dome) whereas the Unicomp, due to the buckling springs, feels more 'different' and tactile.

All the best,

Pete

Yes everyone has their preferences, and will usually post a bunch of GIFs in support of it!

I seem to find myself enjoying buckling spring keyboards the most at the moment.  I have three, with the fourth on the way.

Second favourite would be the HHKB.

Third ... probably QFS with MX green.

Then QFR with MX black closely followed by Ducky Shine 3 Yellow Edition also with MX black (although the blacks in that feel somewhat gritty compared to the QFR).

TL;DR BS > Topre > MX green > MX black > everything else.