Author Topic: Hello from Waterloo, Canada!  (Read 2014 times)

Offline trigun0x2

• Potato Potato
    • HearthStats
Hello from Waterloo, Canada!
« on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 09:51:45 »
Hello awesome on Geekhack!
I'm trigun0x2 from Waterloo Canada and I the founder of a popular gaming analytics platform: http://www.hearthstats.net/

I've had a Das Ultimate for the past three years now and recently got a Poker II with clears!

Now I would love to build my own keyboard from scratch and I've been looking at the Phantom board.

I would love to add some people that I can talk gaming and keyboard with!

Hope to see you all around!

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Re: Hello from Waterloo, Canada!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 12:04:08 »
Welcome fellow ontarian! Enjoy the stay and succumb to the wallet hacking ways :D

Offline trigun0x2

• Potato Potato
    • HearthStats
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 13:38:50 »
Poor wallet! Any suggestions on a set of things to get to build my first own Keyboard?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 14:00:35 »

Poor wallet! Any suggestions on a set of things to get to build my first own Keyboard?

Well firstly, soldering gear! There are quite a few resources on it here if you search. Otherwise, it's always good to have small screwdrivers, tweezers, anything that could be used for fiddling with small electronics.

As for keyboard building components, it would depend on the board you choose. Most should contain all the parts needed except switches and possibly stabilizers.

If you need to ask anything, the "simple questions, simple answers" thread is great. Also feel free to pm anyone you see posting builds to ask politely for help :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 05:02:08 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

GirlShark has been trying to convert you, I see ;) :p

A couple of possibly useful links:

The Living Soldering Thread

tools and supplies

GH60 - 60% keyboard designed by Geekhack
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 05:05:44 »
ooo you founded hearthstats cool. I only played for a month or two til Legend but I love the data. And hello from Toronto, I've got a couple friends that go to Loo for school.
I love Elzy

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 09:19:46 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

tools and supplies

Thank you rowdy! I can't be bothered to actually find the proper links from my phone :)
I haven't been on my desktop for weeks :'(

Offline trigun0x2

• Potato Potato
    • HearthStats
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:04:02 »
ooo you founded hearthstats cool. I only played for a month or two til Legend but I love the data. And hello from Toronto, I've got a couple friends that go to Loo for school.

Awesome to see another gamer here!

If you ever need anything Hearthstone related, let me know! :)

Offline trigun0x2

• Potato Potato
    • HearthStats
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:04:59 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

tools and supplies

Thanks a lot! I will look into these :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:16:00 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Here is some recommended reading for you:

Super Awesome Tools and Resources Made By Users!

*** RECOMMENDED READING ***
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline U47

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:56:55 »

Not sure if you have Princess Auto out east, but they're a great source for cheap tools, should you ever be restoring old boards or harvesting rare switches. Picked up a precision tweezer set, precision plier set, soldering pick tools (great for harvesting switches), alligator clips (for your multimeter, to test switches with), etc. etc. all for under $5 each.

They also have some cheap irons (which might be all you need for dealing with switches), solder, flux, and other necessary stuff for cheap.

I'd invest in a better iron if you ever think you're going to solder anything beyond switches or a Teensy. I have a Hakko FX-880D and it's such a step up from the $30-$50 cheapo irons.

Find some old boards and start disassembling and experimenting!

Offline trigun0x2

• Potato Potato
    • HearthStats
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 07:20:49 »

Not sure if you have Princess Auto out east, but they're a great source for cheap tools, should you ever be restoring old boards or harvesting rare switches. Picked up a precision tweezer set, precision plier set, soldering pick tools (great for harvesting switches), alligator clips (for your multimeter, to test switches with), etc. etc. all for under $5 each.

They also have some cheap irons (which might be all you need for dealing with switches), solder, flux, and other necessary stuff for cheap.

I'd invest in a better iron if you ever think you're going to solder anything beyond switches or a Teensy. I have a Hakko FX-880D and it's such a step up from the $30-$50 cheapo irons.

Find some old boards and start disassembling and experimenting!

There actually IS a Princess Auto in Kitchener! I'll definitely go take a look! Also thanks for the great list of tools. Have you heard of Sayal? I know they also have a lot of soldering/electronic related stuff.